“Relaxing Night”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Liberty, Missouri
“Relaxing Night”
Reviewed 6 December 2013

My Fiancé took me here the night he asked me to marry him. He got us a couple package which included the room, a couples massage, a box of chocolate, wine and a rose. It was lovely. We spent time in the beautiful grotto then got our massages then spent a little more time in the grotto. I don't believe I have been that relaxed in my life. The massage therapist was amazing. The grottos was romantic and relaxing. The room was lovely and comfortable and clean. I must praise to no end the female at the front desk (I believe she was a supervisor of some kind) she was sooooo helpful. We got the wrong bottle of wine and she corrected it and offered to let us keep the bottle we got for free. She also helped us figure out a midnight snack when we were starving. She made the stay even more special. We had a great time I would suggest the stay for anyone looking for a relaxing time.

1 Thank AnIrishErin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
Reviewed 5 December 2013

We used a Groupon to book a nice getaway over the Thanksgiving weekend. Let me go through the DISASTER sequentially.

1. When we arrived the front door was malfunctioning so we had to go in the side door. Not a huge issue, just inconvenient as I had to haul the luggage to the cart which I had to forage for.

2. The hotel was less than half full as evidenced by the number of keys in the slots at the desk when we arrived at 8pm. We were assigned a room as far from the elevator as was possible to get.

3. Got to the room, the toothbrush glass was badly cracked (and had been for a while) and was DIRTY with the last guests lip marks on the rim. We had the glass changed.

4.Went to the lap pool. It was SO COLD we did two laps and retreated to the hot-tub. The bubbles did not work!

5. Went to bed. Fell asleep quickly because we were both tired from the day. At 4am we gave up the struggle to stay asleep. a) the bed was so uncomfortable it was like camping and sleeping ion a straw mattress where you have to contort your body to accommodate the lumps. b) the noise from the in-room AC unit was so loud I used the decibel meter on my phone to clock the noise level at 75 decibels.

6. As we got out of bed my wife said that she felt some "grit" in the bed. I looked and found what appeared to me to be insect droppings perhaps from cockroaches. There was also black hair in the bed (not from either my wife or me). I took all this to the night manager who offered me a suite (and who confirmed the hotel was less than half full). The suite was just as noisy and bed just as lumpy.

7. We decided to stay in our room, and sit up with a cup of coffee and read or watch TV. While the manager was in the room my wife looked at the mugs provided for use with the coffee machine and there were "rings" inside both of them! They had been rinsed but not cleaned.

8. We were given vouchers for breakfast which was decidedly average. had to ASK for salt and pepper, and the wait staff was not attentive at all.

9. So we booked into the Sheraton on the Plaza in Kansas City!

By lunch we had been contacted by The Elms hotel manager, and shortly thereafter by Groupon and our money was refunded without demur.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else!
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank pquentinj
Blue Springs, MO
Reviewed 4 December 2013

This was a great place to stay. The room was beautiful and the staff was super friendly and helpful. We loved it and will definitely go again. The grotto was great with a nice hot tub and saunas. We also used the indoor lap pool and it was very nice. Our room was a King Parlor Suite and it was very nice with a separate living room area, a small bar area and a beautiful bedroom. There were flat screen TV's in both the living room and bedroom.

Room Tip: We stayed in a King Parlor Suite and it was a great room.
Roanoke, Texas
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We discovered a special Halloween ghost hunt package offered by the Elms. We were glad to have made the decision to consider a property outside of Kansas City. The hotel was immaculate with well appointed rooms and comfortable beds. The ghost tour was definitely interesting; even though, it did drag on a tad too long. Breakfast was disappointing with rather small portions.Staff provided superb customer service. Not much to see in Excelsior Springs, but worth a walk about.

Room Tip: Rooms on the interior have views of the outdoor pool. Make time to enjoy the indoor lap pool - a hid...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This place is like out of a movie. Fantastic experience, beautiful scenery, wonderful ammenities. The grotto is a MUST, have a massage- nothing like it- but book it in advance. Clean, spacious rooms. Gorgeous and romantic!

Olathe, Kansas
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Wife and I stayed at The Elms for our anniversary. Did the suite. We were absolutely delighted. Staff was great from booking through our stay. Helpful and professional. Suite was everything we expected and then some. The Elms is a beautiful place. The feel is very dignified and yet relaxed. We worked our way through the grotto, with the hot tub, dry sauna, steam sauna and steam shower. The cold plunge shower was really really cold! Walked the garden trail one evening. Did breakfast at the 88 both days, and the fare was excellent. All in all, I can't say enough good about The Elms. A great place to get away without having to drive far. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: .The "Al Capone" suite was nice
Wichita, Kansas, Usa
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I have travelled to the Elms over the last three decades, and the experience just keeps getting better. The newly refurbished rooms and 'the grotto' are a visual and sensual delight, the atmosphere classic yet modern and the facilities top notch. My partner and I were treated like royalty and the staff were very prompt and attentive. Clean, classy and comfortable, the new Elms is an absolute must for any couple wanting a unique and cozy getaway.

Room Tip: We got the 'Al Capone' room, #214. Not only a great view of the Elms but a piece of history...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Excelsior Springs
Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
Higher Ground Hotel
Higher Ground Hotel
#4 of 18 in Independence

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!