“An Outstanding Hotel”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Reviewed 3 June 2014

The Elms has been restored to an amazing level with the latest technology. Spa, Restaurant, lap pool, and grounds are first rate.

A historical hotel withe today's cleanliness and technology.

One of our favorites.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

We visited this property in our youth. Our daughter was married here. Now, we visit for a very pleasant weekend anniversary outing. Pleasant folks at every juncture. If you didn't find it or it wasn't offered, you probably didn't need it. Room large, bath small.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

If you are looking to get away from the city to relax for an evening or two, the Elms is your place. They offer various price points for multiple budgets as far as rooms go, but the atmosphere is top notch. There is definitely a calming effect at, and around, the Elms and it's property. We will definitely be going for another stay.

Room Tip: Don't keep your room key in the same pocket as your cell phone, your key may not work.
1  Thank Justin K
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I would recommend this hotel to anyone. I love that it is tucked away in a sleepy little town and the history that it has to offer. The renovations and upkeep of this hotel you couldnt tell that it was built in 1912.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Tanea P
Reviewed 3 June 2014

We went for our anniversary, and had an excellent time. We purchased a romantic getaway package that included couple massage, wine, chocolates, the room. The Grotto was by far my favorite part of the trip!! The food was great for both dinner and breakfast and priced as expected!! Great place for couples, girls trips, mother/daughter trips!! Really enjoyed ourselves, very relaxing!!

Room Tip: our room air conditioner had a loud gurgling noise each time it kicked off. It was annoying by the e...
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I really want to be able to give this treasure of a property a higher rating, but extremely spotty service really left a poor taste in my mouth. The building and overall property are a gem, but from about 75% of the staff I had contact with, we got Super 8 level service. Not what you'd expect from a hotel charging $200+ a night. The remaining 25% gave excellent service (namely the night manager and the reception hostess on 5th floor), so I don't want to throw them under the bus.

I was given the wrong type of room after confirming twice that I was getting what I asked for. Then when we got up to the room and it wasn't what we had asked for, they said I could come down and get keys. No offer to run them up for me or move our bags. Keurig machine broken = no coffee in room.

Royal Level is not worth it AT ALL. The first night we were there there were no complimentary beverages or snacks available. We were not offered turn-down service, our upgraded linens were actually scratchy. I laughed when I just looked at their site and saw these things were listed as benefits, because they were no where to be seen. The manager's reception the second night did have a nice spread and the hostess was delightful, but definitely not worth the major upcharge to stay on 5th floor.

I complained several times about all the issues and was finally given a discount on our bill, but again, this was a headache, manager told me I had already been given a discount, when that wasn't true.

BUT, I would stay there again, because the pool area is gorgeous and the grounds are really special, and I did love the old vibe and the history. I just hope next time we are overwhelmed by great service.

Don't expect to be able to eat late during the week! We weren't ready to eat until 8:30 and everywhere, literally, was closed except a bar downtown, where we ended up with very friendly service and yummy food. Don't miss the Hall of Waters, and check out the little shops downtown - cute stuff and good people. Don't miss BobCorn popcorn! Also had an enjoyable afternoon of snacks and wine at Van Till Winery. We went to The Majestic jazz club in KC for our anniversary dinner and had the BEST time! Yummy BBQ at The Wabash across the street from The Elms, too!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view room. The pool area is very pretty! If you are on a higher floor, you will have...
Reviewed 30 May 2014

We visited here for a quick getaway to celebrate a big birthday. We were wished happy birthday upon checkin but no other offers were made such as upgrade, coupons etc that we have received at other hotels. We reserved a parlor suite on the 4th floor which was nice with a good view of the pool/gazebo but also overlooked the central air system on the roof. Shower seemed to have mold around the bottom and we received a stained towel from room service on Saturday which I used to cover up the glaringly bit LED display on the clock.

I planned to sign up for a spa package but everything was booked when I called so requested a facial which gave me free access to the Grotto area that contains the hot tub, showers and saunas. Best practice is to make your spa/grotto appointments the same time hotel reservations are made. It was my understanding this pass could be transferred to my hubby for use and that he could use it the entire stay. That was not the case.

We were escorted to the locker rooms where I had to test several lockers before finding one that would lock. It is a 4 number "make your own code" system so if you forget the code, you might be locked out. There is a small open area to change into a robe - just like high school. You can squeeze into one of the toilet stalls for privacy. I had to ask twice for spa slippers. We then proceeded to the Grotto area and were immediately informed the steam sauna had been broken for a week or more. I was taken to the Quiet room which was anything but as an employee was in there restocking the glassware for tea/water. I informed our escort that my hubby was not getting a spa service. I was then informed that Grotto passes were typically not given on Saturdays but they would make an exception and it would be an additional $55 charge.There was no ambience of any kind such as music, aromatherapy, foot soaks as at other spas.

The technician seemed nice enough but not well trained as she proceeded to start my facial while I was still wearing makeup! I told her about my sensitive skin condition but she proceeded to use steam/hot towels which made the condition worse. Besides the steam/hot towels, a Clairsonic face brush and scrub was used making me think that I could have done this at home and saved myself another $55. I did complain to the spa receptionist who did apologize and offer a 10% discount which was nice but still not enough to counter for the unexpected bad treatment and overcharge.

We weren't sure of the cleanliness of the hotel due to the policy of allowing dogs to stay in the hotel and reading a review of a dog fight in the lobby where the Sunday brunch is held so opted to eat off premise. Decent restaurants are difficult to find in this area and there is nothing to do off premise once the few shops a few blocks away close at 5 pm and don't open again until Tuesday. Music from a wedding on the last night kept us awake until midnight or later. I mentioned this to the front desk clerk the next day who commented "There's nothing we can do about that".

There are much better hotels/spas in Kansas City and it would be worth your time and money to pass up this hotel that greatly lacks customer service.

Room Tip: Stay on the 5th floor facing the pool/gazebo side if you can afford the higher rate.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Hampton Inn Kansas City Liberty
#2 of 109 in Kansas City
Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-International Airport
Quality Inn Kearney-Liberty

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!