“True Spa Experience”

The Elms Hotel and Spa
Waterloo
“True Spa Experience”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I had never been to a spa before so I didn't know what to expect, but my sister goes every year and was my guide. We used the Grotto in the morning-the jacuzzi, the steam room with the rose salts (just don't put on your face!), the hot and cold steam rooms, or relaxing (sleeping) on the loungers. You need to get there early as there aren't enough chairs for everyone. The outside jacuzzi was also wonderful for aching muscles from the therapeutic massage-I had so many knots my entire body couldn't be completed within the allotted hour. I was disappointed with housekeeping. We were not supplied with clean towels until we called the front desk nor with more coffee or shampoo. I left my sunglasses in my robe pocket when I turned the robe in at the front desk upon checkout and called that same night. I left a voice mail with housekeeping as directed. My call was not returned; a call a few days later was met with a full voice mail.

Room Tip: Depends on what weddings or receptions are going on. The first night the wedding was on the left si...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
ElmsHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Elms Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Recent Guest,
Thank you for you kind review on our spa, quiet room, and grotto. It seems that you made a full day of our spa, which is exactly how we like our guests to relax! I sincerely apologize for our team not following through with a return phone call. I have spoken with our housekeeping team and I would like to make this right. I am happy to assist you further and I encourage you to contact me personally with a description of the glasses to resolve the matter.
Warm Regards,
Kaylee Fitzgibbons

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I took a mini-vacation for our anniversary to the Elms and I cannot say enough about the quality of service and amenities. The hotel itself just underwent a multi-million dollar renovation and I must say, they did a bang-up job. My wife's an architect and I own a restoration construction company with a history in the service industry, so I speak with some authority. They've updated the style of everything, from the foyer to the spa, while still keeping the historical charm that made the hotel a destination in the Prohibition years. Whoever oversaw the design did a stellar job.

The rooms were great, but don't expect brand new Hilton-esque rooms. Unlike the innumerable hotel chains out there, the rooms have kept their historical integrity. Large bathrooms with seemingly original tile. Comfy new bed. Nice TV. You get all the comforts of the 21st century with the charm of the 19th century.

The spa was ridiculous. I bought my wife a package and I got a massage. We were both ecstatic with those services alone, but with any purchase you also get all-day access to the grotto. We felt like we were back in the spa in Switzerland we visited studying abroad years ago. We stayed all day, and by the time we went back to our rooms at 10 o'clock we were relaxed and invigorated, with our skin feeling all tingly and new. You can also gain access to the grotto for a small fee, but you might as well pay a little bit more for a service and thus gain complimentary access to the grotto. But even if you don't want to do the spa, you still get access to a sweet-A pool, both indoor and outdoor, multiple hot-tubs, a great fitness room and coffee shop..

The staff was friendly and supportive, as good or better as any major city in the world. Always smiling and willing to go that extra mile to make your stay memorable.

If I had one criticism it would be the restaurant. It's designed beautifully and the food was exceptional. Pricey, but not too expensive - certainly not more than I would expect at a fine hotel and spa such as the Elms. But the wait staff needs a bit of coaching. They were slow to get to the table, slow to get drinks. Slow to get my check. I was nearly finished with my meal before I got my wine pairing - annoying. I used to work in a James Beard nominated slow-food restaurant, so I get it. But the "slow-food" aspect should be left to the kitchen, the server should still be attentive and prompt, which they were not. We weren't even offered dessert - that's an easy upsell! And we went to the charming little bar upstairs for a nightcap, and had to wait over 10 minutes for our drinks (they were not that busy, maybe 8 other people in the whole bar) before I had to interrupt the bartender girl's conversation with a barfly to remind her to get our drinks. By the time we got them we just took them back to our room, disenchanted and not excited to stay for another.

One suggestion for the next renovation: The grounds behind the hotel are beautiful, wooded and expansive, but there are no trails save a short one - maybe a couple hundred yards. I would have loved to have gone for a run in the morning, or on a walk with my wife in the evening, on the property. But whatever, certainly not a deal breaker.

Don't get me wrong, the restaurant wait staff inadequacies and lack of a lengthy trail were certainly not enough to detract from the overall greatness of the hotel as a whole. We can't wait to return the next chance we get.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brad B
World Class Guests,
I was thoroughly delighted as I read through your review of the hotel and I am pleased to see that you equally had a fantastic time! Our pools and grotto are just as enchanting as the historic charm of our 1912 American Craftsman style architecture. I am pleased that you took note of the details of the renovation and we thank you for the compliments. It is my hope that we can make amends to you on your next visit on the service you received in the Tavern and the 88 Restaurant. We truly appreciate your feedback so that we may improve and coach our staff to be of better service to our guests. When you are in town next, please ask the front desk for directions to Siloam Mountain Park; less than a half mile from The Elms. Although we do not have trails on property, there are trails that will lead you through the bluff at this local park.
Thank you for choosing The Elms Hotel & Spa,
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 20 July 2014

One of the best experiences I've had! The hotel is beautiful, updated, plush, very friendly staff, plenty to do without leaving property. We stayed two nights. Had several spa treatments - the lavender and eucalyptus baths, the hot stone massage, reflexology, and the Vichey massage. My husband enjoyed the bath but I'd skip it next time simply because the hot tub was much the same. He also liked the hot stone massage. I can't give a thumbs up on the reflexology sadly bc it was pretty much just trigger point stretching rather than true reflexology. Best of the best was the Vichey massage! Nine water heads cover your body as you lay face down (for women) while a person moves a pulsating water jet over you simultaneously. Difficult to accurately describe but I wish I could do this every day! It's a water massage that feels so wonderfully delicious! The spa also has The Grotto which is free w a spa service. A large room with comfy loungers, dry and moist saunas, large hot tub, steam shower w salt scrub, cold needle shower, towels water, and peppermint oil scented cloths. The spa dressing room has everything you need amenities included. The lap pool in basement is unique and true for it's intended use. Our hotel room was very pretty, bed just a tad firm, small but adequate bath. Hotel is beautiful! Outdoor pool and hot tub are perfect; clean w plenty of seating options. Restaurant was amazingly delicious. We had filet mignon w potatoes (I asked for polenta which was scrumptious). The waiter made iced tea with syrup which was great (and us southerners know good tea). German chocolate cake was rich. For breakfast we had the blueberry quinoa pancakes - also great. The tavern is cozy, all staff is helpful and welcoming. Hope to return here and be pampered. This is an excellent hotel with superb facilities. All clean, well kept and maintained.

Room Tip: We were in room 238 which was a classic room. I don't think it matters.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ElmsHotel, Guest Relations Manager at The Elms Hotel and Spa, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Recent Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us at the Elms Hotel and Spa. We take pride in our spa and the experiences we offer and we enjoy reading feedback from our guests. We truly appreciate your kind words and your patronage. We will look forward to your return and serving you in the future!
Best Regards,
USA
Reviewed 16 July 2014

A newly remodeled historic hotel close to Kansas City that offered a great escape. Beautiful grounds, great outdoor pool, large hot tub, indoor lap pool, and a great dining experience that added to a very relaxing time. Spa available. Staff is very attentive and accommodating. Stayed midweek and loved the quiet atmosphere.

Dear Getaway,
Thank you for being our guest, and for taking the time to share your very kind thoughts about your recent stay with us at The Elms. We agree- we love our pools too! We really appreciate your valued input as well as your patronage. Please plan on returning to see us again soon!
Warm Regards,
Saint Joseph, Missouri
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Historic Hotel restored to its original beauty. Friendly staff, very knowledgeable about hotel and its history. Excellent spa area! Experienced spa staff, very quiet and relaxing. Room service was good, food was warm, portions were nice size.

Dear Mannm,
Thank you for taking the time to write a warm review of The Elms Hotel and Spa. We strive to be a destination of relaxation for our guests and we are happy that you feel the same. We look forward to serving you in the future.
Best Wishes,
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My Girlfriends and I headed there 6/27/14 for a Bachelorette party. We had a blast. There was raining on and off over the weekend but the Elms Hotel and Excelsior Springs provided us with enough entertainment for the weekend. I did not use the Spa but a few girls in my group did and they had a great time.

The hotel is well restored and facility is unique with plenty of activity. We enjoyed the large outdoor hot tub and pool (their indoor lap pool was a sight to see). The hotel room décor was modern and charming (all the modern up to date accessories - Apple USB port and a powerful cordless dryer)

We were harassed by a 2-3 drunk wedding guests; the night hotel manager promptly helped resolve the situation. I'm very pleased at response and professionalism.

Food: We visited the Willow Spring Mercantile on Broadway (Chicken salad sandwich was delicious--service can be a little slow, the place gets packed, would get a reservation if more than 4 people on the weekends) and El Maguey Mexican Restaurant (great service).

I would recommend this place for a weekend getaway (check in Friday and back home on Sunday!)

Room Tip: I would choose rooms farther from the ice machines since the melting ice dripping down the drains ar...
Dear kkvouthy,
Thank you for not only writing a review of The Elms, but also for choosing us for your fun bachelorette weekend! Staying two nights and experiencing Excelsior Springs and the local attractions is one of the best ways to go. Thank you for your kind words and your generous review! We look forward to seeing you again during your next stay
Warm regards,
nebraska
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We have been here several times. Each time is just gets better, if that is possible. ALL the employees treat you like family! So friendly and go out of their way to say "Hello" and see if they can do "anything" for you. The pool is wonderful for the summer. It can get crowded so a few more chairs would be great. Jodi is awesome and energetic. She keeps the pool bar going and everyone at the pool taken care of. She never stops running. Wesley is a Bellhop and the nicest young man and a true joy to talk to. He will go out of his way to make a person happy and taken care of. If you stay here be sure to stay on the 5th floor. It is the private level with a "happy hour" from 5-7. You will get the pleasure of meeting Deby. She is a true Huge hearted, funny and sweet gal. We laughed and shared stories and have gotten to know her very well from a few visits. She makes our stays so memorable. Deby truly enjoys her job and it shows. We just love her!! She goes above and beyond! We honestly can not say enough positive things about the employees at the Elms. Eric the manger is superb. We just know we look forward to our trips to the Elms and each time we have stayed longer.It is relaxing,the rooms are excellent, the town is quaint and we can't wait to go back. The only change I would suggest is NO KIDS on the 5th floor. It is more of an "adult atmosphere" and would like to see it for adults only. But that won't keep us away.

Room Tip: Any room on the 5th floor over looking the pool.
Dear Sea,
Thank you for taking the time to write such a generous and warm review of The Elms Hotel and Spa. We strive to make experiences personal and to grow friendships with our guests through the years! It excites me to see how happy you are with this stay, as well as your previous stays. Wesley, Deby, and Eric are all fantastic individuals and associates that make The Elms a beautiful place to return to time after time. Thank you for your dedication and we are looking forward to your next memorable experience!
Yours,
#4 of 108 in Kansas City
Ameristar Casino Hotel Kansas City
Sleep Inn & Suites and Indoor Water Park
Quality Inn Kearney-Liberty

Been to The Elms Hotel and Spa? Share your experiences!