“Is there something less than zero stars?!”
Review of Stratford Inn

Stratford Inn
Stratford Inn
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Fenton
Reviewed 26 October 2009

Other reviews are dead on. Things have not improved in the years since the earliest negative reviews here.

I had specifically asked for an upstairs room with no outside door, but they put me downstairs anyway. The door to the outside had a visible gap between it and the doorjam. NO DEADBOLTS!! The door chain was hanging on by a single screw, and even that wasn't fully seated. I opened the door out of shear curiosity and found the outside of the door was basically plywood that was beat to hell. Asked for a change of room and was politely switched to an upstairs room.

Knowing that even the finest hotels rarely wash the blankets/comforters, I immediately pulled those back on the bed I anticipated sleeping in. Found dirty fingerprints on the edges of the top sheet and the bottom sheet was so poorly fitted, there was no way it was going to stay on. Sheets were clearly slept in -- unless their cleaning staff finds it more efficient to carry the sheets up from the laundry in a ball rather than fold them. Not even a faint crease mark from having once been folded was visible. But there were LOTS of the little wrinkles from weeks of use. Pulled back the covers on the other bed and initially thought it was clean (was at least a little "smoother"), but upon pulling back the top sheet, found obvious dirt where someone had been in the bed with their shoes on (or, as another reviewer pointed out, perhaps their feet/socks were just that dirty from walking around on the filthy carpet).

Called about 3 other hotels in he vacinity, but they all wanted over $100 per night, and that just wasn't in my budget, as I'm currently unemployed. Debated whether I'd feel safer sleeping in my car outside a 24 hour restaurant. Ultimately decided to stay, but went down to my car and got my sleeping bag. Removed all pillows from the bed, save one, and tucked it well under my bag, so that only the bag touched the bedding and I only touched the bag. Will be giving the bag a thorough airing on the clothes line before it comes back in the house, as I would be surprised if the beds were NOT infested.

Oh yeah -- the pool was closed over a year ago, but the website hasn't been updated. There's a sign at the front desk saying "Pool closed. No refunds for that reason" -- of course, it's no hard to find another reason to request a refund!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank a_pseudonymn

Reviewed 10 March 2008

This place is a dump. Water all over the bathroom floor from a leaking shower, carpets and beds are disgusting and to top that off try to get help at the front desk. Booked a king or queen bed and got 2 full size. I asked for a manager and the man who showed up looked like he just crawled out of the bar. If you have no other choice but to stay at this hole I would say sleep in your car.

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank coffeehouse1
Reviewed 6 September 2007

I was attending a wedding in St. Louis on the Labor Day Weekend and it was hard to find a hotel room. I called Expedia and they found the "Stratford Inn" as having an available room so I booked it. My girlfriend and I arrived there and the first thing we noticed were the air conditioners hanging from the windows. We came in and there was a person behind the counter in a dirty white shirt with holes in it. We got our keys and went up the stairs to find the room. There was a dirty towel (and I mean dirty, almost black in color) in front of our doors. There was blood smeared on our doors and the room smelled really bad. ....... I'm gonna skip ahead a little bit ..... we got back from the wedding around 2am and noticed that there was loud music coming from downstairs and realized that there is a "Stratford Bar & Grill" in the adjacent room to the lobby. There were drunk people all over the hotel and music was blaring throughout the hotel. This was the worst experience I have ever had with a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CroMania
Reviewed 30 July 2007

I called myself looking this place up to see pictures before we decided to book there. The pictures were probably 20 years old. We got there, signed in, got our handy cards to open the door and the remote. The REMOTE?!? We had to re-activate the cards twice as they kept not working.

I pulled the comforter off to find what looked like pubic hair on the blanket. Pulled that off to find a spider under the sheet.
We left for the day to come back that night to the room not having been cleaned up or fresh towels. When I called the front desk, they said they'd send some up. A few minutes later they called back and said we had to "meet the guy in the laundry" to get some towels. We had to walk all the way around to the other side of the place to get towels. We were in Room 212. There isnt a clock, we only got one little sample of soap.. good thing I brought my own.

I was also ticked off because we paid $25 more through the site we used for the room. The sign out front says $45 per night or $245 a week. Yep.. this is a pay by the week place. There were atleast 2 families living there.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank cakelady73
Reviewed 24 July 2007

I read the reviews on Trip Advisor..and decided to keep an open mind and go ahead and keep our reservation.. If you're looking for the Hilton..or even a fancy new Holiday Inn.. DONT BOTHER! Seems that a family owns the place - they live and work there and may not have the best "hotel keeping" skills.. but they try. Staff was VERY NICE and helpful.. however, upon check in we had no towels or washcloths..and wasn't convinced the sheets had been changed either.. Staff was accomodating, and were quick to bring us towels..HOWEVER..they were clean..but stained towels..(ya know the kind that you would toss at home because the kids or husband were filthy and stained your white towels?? yeah..clean but stained)....

Our socks were black from walking in the room with no shoes - seems the rugs haven't been cleaned in years...the furniture is pretty beat up..bedspreads are faded and worn....and you need to pay $5.00 for the remote.. My kids have bigger t.v.'s in their bedrooms than we had in the hotel room..

Rooms have a window unit which is for heat and/or air..there is no heat and/or air in the hallways..and noticed a lot of broken out screens - hence the bug issues...

We stayed 2 nites..we did get "fresh" towels the next day, and the garbage emptied, however the maid didn't bother to make our beds..or vacuum or wipe down anything in the bathroom...

The lobby is clean and bright and airy..with an open staircase to the 2nd floor...there are no luggage carts in the hotel..and no elevators..so plan on hiking your stuff up the stairs...

The indoor pool is "ok"..definitely good enough to swim in...the screens are all broken to the outside..and the paint along the ground is peeling..the depth markers are faded, so be careful if you have kids..but overall the pool itself was clean and we swam in it..(a definite plus to this hotel- although it was pretty cold..i'm not sure its heated)....NO TOWELS for the pool.. bring your own!

The bar - Stratford Bar and Grill had decent food and reasonable prices.. a great band.. seems they sunk all their money in the bar..more of a "club" in the evening, and definitely a fun time.. they also have an outdoor beer patio, and the outdoor volleyball court was PACKED when we were there.. you can also get beer to go if you're staying at the hotel.. a plus since the liquor license is only til 1am on saturday nite..

The bar is located in the hotel.. entrance thru the lobby... so its definitely nice to not have to drink and drive if you're there to see a band...

If you're looking for a place to "crash" for the nite and youre not expecting anything more than a dated roadside inn..then by all means - this is the economy hotel for you ($45-$50 per nite)... If you're traveling with a family..or accustomed to a nice clean cheery room, then pass this hotel by..and find a newer hotel..but they are at much higher prices..we looked!

I'm sure in its heyday this place was top notch.... its just aged, worn and has been beat up a bit .... just needs some maintenance and the staff needs to brush up on their housekeeping skills.. seems like a rowdy type hotel..with people staying there who were drinking all nite..or maybe truckers.. a "little" seedy i guess..i wouldn't leave my kids in the room and head down to the bar area.. we found condom packets in the halls..ewwww! guess its better than finding used condoms though!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank chgojovigurl
Reviewed 18 December 2006

This has to be and was the worst motel we have ever stayed in. Rooms were old, front desk was not a help. They had a halloween party and we were afraid for out lives. Screaming, swearing life threatining things were being said outside our door. I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with family
2  Thank matusca
A TripAdvisor Member
TN
Reviewed 9 July 2006

GREATLY IMPROVED!!
I was apprehensive upon reading so many negative postings, however, apparently ownership
has turned things around! Not to worry if you plan to stay here. Clean and spacious rooms (we stayed in rooms 202-206). New renovations, great service, clean & charming lobby. Great basic acomodations! (clock unfurnished). I HIGHLY recommend the Stratford Inn/ Stratford Bar & Grill hotel & nightclub.
My band played there on 7/7/06 and we were treated to the biggest & best Buffalo style wings that I've EVER had. Excellent bar food-- certainly NOT "bowling alley" quality. Stunning, and cordial wait staff; ownership treated us w/ great respect and hospitality.
The pics on their website do not do the nightclub justice--we were pleasantly surprised at the sleek and clean decor of this club. What a great venue...and the hotel is 20 feet away!!
Our band loved this place, as did the attractive patrons we observed heading to their rooms. We had a wonderful time and look forward to returning!

Stayed: July 2006