“Not your usual Marriott”

TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Fenton
Phenix City, Alabama
“Not your usual Marriott”
Reviewed 7 June 2013

Great location, right of the highway. Hotel looks good from the outside. There is an outside pool and a small gym. The hotel is older and it shows. It definitely needs to be remodeled. Carpet is old and smelly. The room appeared clean but no where near what one would usually expect from a Marriott. The older lady who checked me in was nice but did not mention any of the regular information. Just moved on to the next customer. The cleaning lady was so nice to show me around and tell me what time breakfast and check out was. So cleaning staff is better trained than front desk staff.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
TownePlaceSuites1662, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton, responded to this review, 20 June 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at your hotel. I am glad that you found our housekeeoing staff so well trained and friendly. I also would like to invite you to come and visit us towards the end of the year after we complete our renovation. We are currently in the beginning stages but are actually going to be replacing all of the carpeting, paint, draperies, bedding, lighting, artwork, installing granite counter tops in our guest room kitchens, and much more!
Sincerley,
Kelly Galloway

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We checked in at 6pm. Luckily the person we made the reservation with was working. Tammy was very nice and wanted to make sure all of our needs were met. The first room had a dirty toilet and had not been cleaned in a long time. There was hair everywhere in the room. Towels had pubic hair on them, hair stuck to the ceiling and even hair stuck in the speaker of the phone. They did not have any single bed units available so they offered some cleaner to clean the toilet. Tammy called over and said they could upgrade us to a larger room. The second room was dirty as well with similar issues. The third room needed the bathroom cleaned as well. There was urine on the wall and the base of the toilet and hair stuck to the tub and sink. The housekeeping manager stopped by our room and tried to explain how sorry she was for our inconvenience. The hotel did comp our first night. I was let down by a Marriott property. This is an older property and cleanliness should be the first thing on their agenda. Housekeeping informed us this is not a regular issue. The housekeeping manager had been on vacation and the rooms were not getting the attention they needed. The hotel had been operating at near capacity.

The hotel is conveniently located to most area attractions. 6 Flags is right down the road. Plenty of restaurants in a 1 mile area.

The office let us know we could use the pool at the hotel next door due to their pool being repaired.

• Stayed June 2013
Good evening and thank you for taking your time to complete a review regarding your most recent stay with us. Although we dealt with your situation while you were on property during your reservation, I am glad I have another opportunity to respond. It is extremely unfortunate the series of events that took place before finding you your room for your stay. There are no excuses or explanations that I can offer you, what you saw what was you saw!? I can assure you this is the exception and NOT the norm! We have undergone some turnover in our housekeeping department and are making great strides in improving our overall cleanliness and are back on track with meeting all Marriott standards. We also are in the process of beginning our renovation process; in order to make these improvements, there will be interruptions and inconveniences, but our service will be top notch and we will do everything that we can to make each and every guest stay the best that WE possibly can. Thank you for your kind comments and honest feedback.

Wishing you and your family a wonderful summer.
Biloxi, Mississippi
Reviewed 26 May 2013

We stayed here for a three day/two night trip in a 2bed/1bath suite in the main building. It was very nice and roomy and we felt comfortable with two adults and four children ages 8-11. The front desk staff was very friendly and the housekeeping was very nice and made sure we had everything we needed. The neighborhood seems nice and there were lots of fast food and chain restaurants within 5-10 min to the hotel. Six flags theme park was only about 20-30 min. from the hotel. The front desk has microwavable mac and cheese and popcorn for sale and it was nice to have be able to microwave popcorn in the evenings. The kids loved having their own room with a TV. The only two negative aspects of this hotel was the beds and the breakfast. The beds are not very comfortable, however they aren't terrible. The breakfast in the morning is SMALL. It only had cereal, yogurt, apples, granola bars, sara lee muffins, coffee, and orange juice. There is no room, tables, or dinning room to eat breakfast. You must return to your room to be able to sit down and eat. Overall, we were satisfied with our stay and we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Try to request a room in the main building because it makes it easier to go the front desk for servi...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Hi and thank you so much for your wonderful review of our hotel! I am so glad to hear that you had such an enjoyable stay. Its guests like you that truly make what we do a delight. We pride ourselves in our customer service and do whatever we can to make our guests stay, truly enjoyable and make them feel as if they are staying at their "home away from home." I am also pleased to tell you that we are in the beginning stages of our renovation. We will be replacing 50% of our mattresses and box springs and will be ramping up our breakfast offerings with the addition of a breakfast room. Currently, due to space constraints, we are limited in what we can provide. We try to offer the best we can with the space we have to offer it.
Again, thank you so much for your honest feedback. I certainly hope that you stay with us again when your travels bring you back in our direction.

Reviewed 28 February 2013 via mobile

Perfect minimal breakfast to get the day started. Front desk personnel are very helpful. The front doors are not soundproof you might have some hallway noise coming into your room. Comfortable rooms very well equipped for a little kitchenette. I would return is given the opportunity.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank SurgeonMike
TownePlaceSuites1662, Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay!
I apologize about the poor soundproofing of our rooms, it can be an inconvenience depending on the location of your room. If you find your way back with us again, as I hope you do, please let us know if the sound becomes an issue and we can move you to a quieter area of the hotel! I will also be sure to share with my front desk staff, your kind comments.
Hope to find you back with us again!
Chicago IL
Reviewed 15 January 2013

I was originally booked in for 3 nights of business travel but checked out after the first night...After first arriving I checked into my "first" Suite room but quickly contacted the manager asking to be moved as there were numerous things about the room that were not up to the normal Marriott standard, i.e. the upholstery on the furniture was ripped/pulled away in several spots, the fridge door seal was not sealing, and worst of all the queen bed had a twin mattress cover on it, making it much too small for the bed and which you could see right thru the thin sheets. She readily apologized and moved me to another suite in the main building, but after trying to settle in I discovered numerous issues with that room too. It turned out that here too, a too small of a mattress pad was used on the queen bed again, but at least it was pulled to one side so sort of covered the bed a bit better, at least I thought I could make do. After getting washed up and into bed, I realized the bed itself was saggy, VERY squeaky, and the sheets were very scratchy and uncomfortable. Soon the fridge in the kitchen started rattling loudly, adding to the challenge of trying to fall asleep. By then the neighbor in the room next to me was checked in and all I could hear were cupboards being opened and closed and the TV going as there was obviously VERY little noise insulation between the walls. The fridge noise persisted to the point that I was highly frustrated and not able to fall asleep so had to get up and wrestle the fridge out from the wall and unplug it for the night in hopes of getting some rest. Unfortunately, around midnight two feral cats began scrapping and chasing each other up the pine tree outside my window and kept this up for several hours. I finally got up and took a 1/2 a Benadryl tablet to try to knock myself out for a few hours before I had to get up. Around 6am I was awakened to the lovely sound of someone throwing up continuously in the next room (again -- VERY thin walls letting in WAY too much noise!) so needless to say, I got up, packed up and got out of there as quickly as I could! Needless to say it was a terrible experience and while I've always had great experiences at Marriott properties in the past -- this one left me wondering if I'd ever go back! Save yourself the nightmare and book elsewhere!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank remenel
TownePlaceSuites1662, General Manager at TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton, responded to this review, 9 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel and your January stay with us. I am most certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been.

I would like to apologize on behalf of the hotel and our entire team for your stay. Our standard procedure in this case would be to go and inspect the second room to ensure our standards had been met prior to placing you into that second room. Although the majority of our rooms do not have all of the furniture, bedding and appliance problems that you experienced, it would simply be a step to help eliminate further frustration on your part. We have looked into the problems with your rooms and have already put some changes in place to correct them. We are at the end of a 12 year renovation schedule and are awaiting to begin our process some time over the next three months. I am confident that during this process almost all of your complaints will be addressed and resolved. I have already shared your experience with our entire staff so we could discuss alternate ways of handling this type of situation better, in the future.

You may also be interested to know that as of today, we have replaced over half of the mattress pads with queen size quilited mattress pads. We are also beginning the planning stages of our 12 year renovation which includes replacement of our mattresses, sofa sleepers, as well as some appliances. Marriott has also instituted a new bedding standard that we are currently working to have in place by July of this year! Very many exciting new changes!

Once again, please do accept my apologies and I do hope that the rest of your trip to St. Louis was enjoyable!

Mission Hills, Kansas
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Having two small children, staying in a hotel room with 2-bedrooms and a small kitchen is perfect! This was our second time in this hotel and third time in a TownePlace Suites. The rooms are small and I thought our carpeting was dirty, but overall we were pleased. The hotel actually has two buildings and access to the lobby is cumbersome with doors in odd places. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. The location, near a business park, is very convenient to I-44. They only have a small outdoor pool next to the parking lot. Despite its limitations and oddities, the hotel is perfect for our needs when we go to St. Louis.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the main building for indoor access to breakfast.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Missouri
Reviewed 1 October 2012

If you need to live in a motel for a while or just stopping in for the night this is a great motel. They have a full size kitchen including all the plates, pots/pans etc. They also have a dishwasher so you can clean up after dinner or the staff will run the dishwasher for you. The internet service was very good. You can get a double room with separate bedrooms. It is close to the heart of St. Louis but you have a good secure feeling. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fenton
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fenton
Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fenton
Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Fenton
Holiday Inn Express Fenton
Best Western Kirkwood Inn
Holiday Inn St. Louis SW Route 66

Been to TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton? Share your experiences!