“Okay. Improvements needed.”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Fenton
Iowa
“Okay. Improvements needed.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

This is a smaller hotel that seems to show it's wear around the edges. The carpet needs to be replaced in the rooms. The toilet took several times to flush a piece of toilet paper. My husband said it's just an older style that takes more water to flush. The water leaked all the way to the carpet from the bathroom. We figure there is a lot of mold under the carpet. The pool is very small and my husband saw poop at the bottom of the pool.

The breakfast in the morning was good, BUT they were very overwhelmed with the amount of people eating this specific morning, and the front desk person was running back and forth trying to help stock food. The food was never fully refilled, and we could see where they were trying to warm up food in a microwave as fast as they could. My child never got bacon because they didn't refill it. They do serve chobani yogurt! I also noticed they have soy milk as an alternative to regular milk.

The beds were very comfortable!

Overall, this is a smaller, older, Holiday Inn Express. If they would do a major renovation, I would probably stay again. Everyone was very nice.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Nightlite, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fenton, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Iowa Traveler,

Thank you for the survey on our hotel. This really doesn't sound like us, though. Our toilets are pressure assist models that have a great amount of force that push the volume. We haven't had an "accident" in the pool, as we would need to then take the pool down for 24 hrs to chlorine shock it for health reasons. These items are possible to happen and if so we apologize but they are uncommon.
I know that with the spread on the breakfast bar and the limited 35 seating at a time, people do attack that area pretty hard if they all come down at the same times. I apologize for any wait time. We do our best to keep up with amount of people that visit.

We would love to see you again so that you might have a more consistent experience but if not there are many other IHG properties in the St. Louis market, to try.

GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Fordland, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

This is an older/smaller hotel that has been remodeled. I found it clean id a little dated. The breakfast good with eggs, sausage, biscuits, gravy, bagels, cinnamon rolls, fruit, oatmeal and pancakes.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Nightlite, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fenton, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your recent survey about our hotel. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed the stay and the breakfast. We look forward to your next visit in St. Louis.

Mount Vernon, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014

I reserved 3 rooms for a conference being held in St. Louis. The conference was cancelled and 2 days later I tried to cancel the rooms. I was able to cancel 1 of the rooms, but was told the other 2 were non refundable, although the reservations were for almost 2 weeks out. I spoke to Allen Schneider the GM and he would not assist. He instead, referred me to "corporate" who was merely a call center that had no authority over the situation. He lied to them and said he followed up with me, which he did not. All of this hassle - just to cancel rooms. I will now have to take this up with the credit card company- and I will win. Save yourself the hassle and stay at the Drury Inn in Fenton with comparable prices and a 6pm cancellatioon policy. You will be much more pleased!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Carrie H
Nightlite, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fenton, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Carrie H,

Thank you for contact the hotel on your reservations. You are correct that the hotel does not issue refunds or cancellations when the policy to book the reservations is that they are non-refundable or cancellable. We do take efforts to cancel these rooms for situations beyond your control, i.e. bereavements, inclement weather, health issues, or major family concerns. If schedules may not accommodate accepting certain policies then they should not be booked.

We are sorry that you did not understand the policy or that there was no exception in your case.

Grand Blanc, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2014

Decided to visit Saint Louis for a spur of the moment spring break get away and I'm so happy that we did. We wanted to stay somewhere that wasn't super busy and family friendly. Not only was this location perfect to meet the needs of our objectives, but we were able to get a Junior Suite with a separate room for a little one. The hotel was clean, the whirlpool bathtub was Heavenly. I couldn't have asked for anything more. Overall, we had fun shopping in Gravois, eating at Sweeties Pies and the barbeque at Bandana's was awesome. Thank you HIE & Suites for the awesome hospitality!!!!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Nightlite, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fenton, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dee,

Thank you, so much, for your recent review. We are thrilled to hear that we were able to meet your needs for the trip. We hope to see you in the summer, when everything is in season. A couple cool family things in STL are the City Museum, Zoo, and Botanical Gardens.

Have a great week.

Springfield, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014

I was a walk in on Fri March 28 - Sun March 30 with my boyfriend, his brother, and father and after having an awful experience with a different holiday inn sw rt 66 down the road I left there after booking in hopes of finding another who had 2 rooms available for the weekend. There were 3 ladies working this night, the manager I believe, very kind older lady, with two younger ladies one was new and I want to say she was Australian with another dark haired woman. I wish I could remember the names of all three to give them a shout out. Anyways, the manager was able to get me two rooms and a military discount (as I am an IHG employee but didn't have my verifying card with me but my boyfriend is military) so that was nice. The new girl was so sweet and kind and kept carrying on a conversation with my group while getting us checked in. The manager was wonderful, I know she was working a double shift but still kept her cool and was so friendly. The rooms were very nice and clean, I am a housekeeper as well so I always am looking for imperfections. We left our privacy signs up so the housekeeper didn't have to do more work. ;) I kindly gave her my towels and got fresh ones. Bed was really comfortable and breakfast was delicious and they were kind as well. Overall, glad I left the first place, and went down the road to this place. I will definitely stay here again when I am in St Louis. Thank you for your kind hospitality after I had such a rough time at a previous Holiday Inn.

Room Tip: Great hotel, we stayed on first floor very quiet and convenient.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Nightlite, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fenton, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Mrs. D,

Thank you for your recent survey on your experience at our hotel. I believe the people you are describing are Barb, Jamie, and Ciara. I will make sure they hear about their performance. Its great to hear that they took care of you. We will look forward to seeing you next time you visit St. Louis.

Grove, Oklahoma
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

We recently moved away from St Louis after living there for 32 years. We had tickets to see a show at the Fox Theater so booked two nights non-refundable/no change rate room. We ended up having to come in a day earlier and couldn't change the dates so we had two reservations (one night and two nights). The desk clerk worked to switch us to a room where we wouldn't have to pack up and move which was much appreciated. The pillows however were horrible. We're used to sleeping on a pillow-top (meaning much softer than the hotel) mattress and foam pillows. These were more like feather pillows that collapsed to the mattress as soon as we laid on them. Rather than go buy more pillows we checked with the desk and those are the only type. Since we had the non-refundable rate they couldn't offer us any money off our rate but she tried to find a solution. We ended up using blankets folded under the pillows but I still woke with headaches each morning. We're back with this chain in Seattle the end of May and since we have to fly we'll have no chance to bring our own pillows so will probably be asking for multiple extra pillows to see if we can sleep.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
BigAlStl, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fenton, responded to this review, 27 March 2014
Dear Joyce,

Thank you for your recent survey of our hotel. I must apologize for the pillows, however, this is the new Holiday Inn pillow. Our hotels are not permitted to use another type or brand. We do realize that some folks have a different preference for pillows and we did just purchase several foam pillows to try and accommodate different comfort levels. Hopefully, this will help on the next trip. Sorry, the pillows didn't work.

Hill City, South Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

We had a great experience staying in the Junior Suite. Our son loved having his own space; we loved having our own space. The beds were comfortable, the shower was wonderful. The staff was friendly and accommodating when we inquired if the breakfast options had dairy, and we were thrilled to discover soy milk in the cooler, since our son is lactose intolerant. The cleaning staff was great, too! Will definitely put this place on our list of places to stay again. Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: Loved the junior suite!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fenton
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fenton
Pear Tree Inn St. Louis Fenton
Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fenton
TownePlace Suites St. Louis Fenton
Hampton Inn St. Louis Southwest
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Southwest

Been to Holiday Inn Express Fenton? Share your experiences!