“Worth Stopping By”

Becky Thatcher's Diner
Ranked #8 of 70 Restaurants in Hannibal
Price range: US$6 - US$12
Cuisines: American
Description: A local tradition featuring classic home-cooked foods in the heart of Hannibal, Missouri. Now under new ownership! Open Monday through Saturday from 6:00am-2:00pm for lunch and breakfast. Closed Monday.
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We came in during a very busy time for the crew. I had a mushroom swiss burger and my wife had a chicken salad. It took longer than one would expect, but due to the large party that had come in just before us they were rather swamped. When the food came, it was as ordered and tasted good. The price was reasonable. I appreciated the waitress stopping by to apologize and chat. Overall, a good meal and enjoyable atmosphere.

1  Thank Douglas B
There are newer reviews for Becky Thatcher's Diner

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Good diner food--very nice people! Homemade pies are served, and when they ran out of the gooseberry pie my husband wanted, they gave us some gooseberries to take home so we could make our own (if we had been able to stay overnight, she would have made one for us)!

Reviewed 10 June 2014

My wife and I have been wanting to hit the diner for several months now, but have either been in or passing through Hannibal on Mondays or after closing time. Today we finally got our chance. Perhaps our anticipation had our expectations too high, but we were both underwhelmed.

I ordered the Cheeseburger with fries, while my wife had the mushroom and Swiss burger. Both burgers were ample and tasty, but served on stone cold buns that were neither grilled nor toasted. While both came with the usual veggies and pickle, no condiments were on the table or offered. We had to request ketchup for the fries, and each got a thimble full. The fries were good, average size with crispy exterior and creamy inside, and did not seem greasy.

Service was lackluster. The entire wait staff seemed to be in slow motion.3

We will be back and try other things. We know too many people who love it to give up after one underwhelming visit. Everyone has off days. We saw entrée salads served that looked killer.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

We made it under the wire for late lunch (watch the clock, they close mid-afternoon), but boy were we glad we did. Both our meals were delicious and well executed. My husband had the BLT and I had the special of the day which was a huge tomato filled with overflowing chicken salad sprinkled with slivered almonds on a bed of baby spinach greens. Hubster said the bacon on his BLT had really good flavor and wasn't overcooked and the greens were dark. His only complaint was that the tomatoes were a little pale and weak tasting. That wasn't the case with my entree which had a really robust tomato that was super sweet. The meals are a little higher in price than normal but this is a tourist destination and your paying for better quality ingredients (which I'm thinking they must use seasonal ingredients when they can), so take that into consideration. Of course we finished off our meal with the coconut cream pie one piece split between us, which others have stated, was to die for! So good! And, yes, it gets busy sometimes, but because we went for late lunch during the week, there was no wait for us. Would recommend you try Becky's.

Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

Come hungry, leave satisfied, didn't want to infringe on any copyrighted phrases there. This place is an amazing find in Hannibal!! If you are looking for a great breakfast spot then this is the place for you!! As true southerners I can assure you that these folks are getting it right!! The pile up was amazing and I crumbled my biscuit up in it. The portions are ample and delicious!! The only drawback is that the tea is unsweetened but they have packets on the table (that's a joke that only southerners will get). Loved it!!