All reviewsjulie and johngarth juicegarth roomthe cottagesgravel roadbed and breakfastrosewood roomthe main househot tubfeel right at homeb bsrelaxing stayfresh fruitother guestsdown to earthquichemark twain
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is our sixth visit to Hannibal and the Garth Mansion. Now I didn't know it was our sixth visit but Julie, one of the owners, did. We were a bit late in getting in so I called ahead to let them know. When I told her we were on our way she paused and said okay, but I have you booked to be here tomorrow. Imagine my surprise that I had made such a mistake. She laughed at said don't worry we have your room available tonight as we'll have it ready when you get here. When we arrived we all laughed a bit about my mistake and then were invited to share a drink with them before unloading the car. Of course everything was in order in the cottage we reserved (for the next two nights) and we settled in for the night. Such gracious hosts both John and Julie are. That is one of the reasons we come back when we can each year. They truly make you feel like you've known them for years and are part of their family.

I can't recommend this place enough for anyone wanting a peaceful and relaxing get away. If you come once I'm sure you'll be back again.

Room Tip: We always stay in one of the cottages separate from the mansion. Each has it's own private hot tub for some quiet relaxing. They are located just a short walk from the mansion and look out into the woods.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

In a world where graciousness is so often a thing of the past, my husband and I found it here. When I called for reservations, the voice on the other end made me feel like I was their first customer ever. There was no "rehearsed boredom" as is so often the case. I discovered the voice belonged to owner Julie who has been answering calls since 1999. This spoke volumes to me. It made me want to go back to a place I hadn't even arrived at.

Julie and John have their own unique personalities and expertise that go into the running and upkeep of their incredible inn. The inn and grounds are gorgeous, yet totally comfortable. Keep in mind when considering your stay here, that YOU WILL BE HAPPY WEATHER YOU PREFER B&B'S OR HOTEL/MOTELS. This is a mansion - not just a large home. Therefore, you don't feel like you can hear whispers through the walls and have no privacy. On both floors there is a WIDE hallway with 2 rooms on either side. Each pair of rooms has only 1 common wall. That wall is the bath wall. (EACH ROOM HAS ITS OWN BATHROOM.) We slept soundly each night and were never awakened by talking or bath activity in the adjoining room.

The breakfasts were outstanding, with an abundance of food. Their juice is amazing and their heated coffee mugs the best. (Don't leave without one.) The sunny restaurant addition is a beautiful place to look at llamas and the grounds. Instead of the usual setup where everyone is crowded at one table, they have many 4 top tables. Consequently, if you feel like starting your day quietly and peacefully, you can. But, if you prefer early morning visiting with other guests, you can do that as well.

This place is the very best of both worlds and John and Julie couldn't have been more accommodating, helpful and gracious. We were fortunate to meet a son, daughter-in-law and grandchild, and they are all quality people. The family love is obvious. Call me old fashioned, but these are the things that speak to me and my husband and make us feel happy and comfortable.

We will return! It's a great place to stay weather coming to partake in Hannibal history or just have a wonderful, relaxing get-away. THIS IS OUR NEW FAVORITE PLACE.

Room Tip: All the rooms are gorgeous. Rooms on second floor have the tallest ceilings and largest windows.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and chose this so we wouldn't be in town. It was like stepping back in time and staying in a house during the 1800's with all the modern day comforts. The family who runs the place is very friendly and fix a great breakfast. They even made sure to prepare something special for my wife who needs a gluten-free diet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Brian M
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I spent a week with John and Julie. I am a VERY picky B&B resident and Garth Mansion exceeded my expectations! The bed was amazing, breakfast was incredible, and the relaxing atmosphere was just what I needed! I felt like I was at home! I cannot wait to return to this amazing place!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

John and Julie were the perfect hosts - they have lovingly and thoughtfully restored and maintained this jewel - we planned a "Mark Twain" adventure, what a perfect way to start our trip along the Mississipp'. We were running a little late and John called us to tell us there was a wine tasting at the house (was I the only one who didn't know about Missouri wines?) and to say that he put cones out to save us a parking place. How pampering and thoughtful. The room was stunning and had that historical feel. It's a home, a B&B, not a museum, so John and Julie encouraged us to look around, poke our heads in other rooms. I'm figuring how to get back there. We loved the wine tasting - people were so nice. We enjoyed the breakfast and had a lovely chat with J&J. Check out Julie's kitchen store downtown. Even if you are not a huge Matk Twain fan, this was an experience, reminding you of a gentler time, complemented by Southern hospitality. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Stayed: May 2013