All reviewsjulie and johngarth juicegarth roomthe cottagesgravel roadbed and breakfastrosewood roomthe main househot tubfeel right at homeb bsrelaxing stayfresh fruitother guestsdown to earthquichemark twain
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We recently stayed at the Garth Woodside Mansion B&B for a romantic Valentine's getaway. We stayed in the Samuel Clemens room,which was lovely. Our hosts, John and Julie, were wonderful. They make you feel that you've been friends for a long time. They always have time for you and go out of their way to make you feel at home and happily address any special preferences you have. I recommend anyone to visit Garth Woodside. Julie is a fantastic cook and if you have any dietary preferences ,just let her know. This is our third visit in several years.

Room Tip: All rooms in the mansion are on the second and third floors. No elevator. There are some private cabins on the property for reservation.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

This was our 11th stay at the Garth. Every time we hate to leave! The entire weekend is so lovely to chat with the owners John & Julie, the yummy breakfasts, beautiful decor and scenary. How charming to watch the baby llama out the window while enjoying your breakfast? I can't say enough about this B&B and how much we love it. We will be back every year on our anniversary. Thank you John & Julie for making us feel like family.

Room Tip: The Samuel Clemens room is our favorite. Look at the pics of that headboard!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 November 2013

This is our sixth visit to Hannibal and the Garth Mansion. Now I didn't know it was our sixth visit but Julie, one of the owners, did. We were a bit late in getting in so I called ahead to let them know. When I told her we were on our way she paused and said okay, but I have you booked to be here tomorrow. Imagine my surprise that I had made such a mistake. She laughed at said don't worry we have your room available tonight as we'll have it ready when you get here. When we arrived we all laughed a bit about my mistake and then were invited to share a drink with them before unloading the car. Of course everything was in order in the cottage we reserved (for the next two nights) and we settled in for the night. Such gracious hosts both John and Julie are. That is one of the reasons we come back when we can each year. They truly make you feel like you've known them for years and are part of their family.

I can't recommend this place enough for anyone wanting a peaceful and relaxing get away. If you come once I'm sure you'll be back again.

Room Tip: We always stay in one of the cottages separate from the mansion. Each has it's own private hot tub for some quiet relaxing. They are located just a short walk from the mansion and look out into the woods.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2013

In a world where graciousness is so often a thing of the past, my husband and I found it here. When I called for reservations, the voice on the other end made me feel like I was their first customer ever. There was no "rehearsed boredom" as is so often the case. I discovered the voice belonged to owner Julie who has been answering calls since 1999. This spoke volumes to me. It made me want to go back to a place I hadn't even arrived at.

Julie and John have their own unique personalities and expertise that go into the running and upkeep of their incredible inn. The inn and grounds are gorgeous, yet totally comfortable. Keep in mind when considering your stay here, that YOU WILL BE HAPPY WEATHER YOU PREFER B&B'S OR HOTEL/MOTELS. This is a mansion - not just a large home. Therefore, you don't feel like you can hear whispers through the walls and have no privacy. On both floors there is a WIDE hallway with 2 rooms on either side. Each pair of rooms has only 1 common wall. That wall is the bath wall. (EACH ROOM HAS ITS OWN BATHROOM.) We slept soundly each night and were never awakened by talking or bath activity in the adjoining room.

The breakfasts were outstanding, with an abundance of food. Their juice is amazing and their heated coffee mugs the best. (Don't leave without one.) The sunny restaurant addition is a beautiful place to look at llamas and the grounds. Instead of the usual setup where everyone is crowded at one table, they have many 4 top tables. Consequently, if you feel like starting your day quietly and peacefully, you can. But, if you prefer early morning visiting with other guests, you can do that as well.

This place is the very best of both worlds and John and Julie couldn't have been more accommodating, helpful and gracious. We were fortunate to meet a son, daughter-in-law and grandchild, and they are all quality people. The family love is obvious. Call me old fashioned, but these are the things that speak to me and my husband and make us feel happy and comfortable.

We will return! It's a great place to stay weather coming to partake in Hannibal history or just have a wonderful, relaxing get-away. THIS IS OUR NEW FAVORITE PLACE.

Room Tip: All the rooms are gorgeous. Rooms on second floor have the tallest ceilings and largest windows.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

My wife and chose this so we wouldn't be in town. It was like stepping back in time and staying in a house during the 1800's with all the modern day comforts. The family who runs the place is very friendly and fix a great breakfast. They even made sure to prepare something special for my wife who needs a gluten-free diet.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple