“TAKES YOU BACK IN TIME”

Garth Woodside Mansion Estate
Ranked #2 of 8 Hannibal B&B and Inns
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This was a gift to us from our son and his wife...Wonderful time...arriving on our motorcycle...our weather was iffy from the beginning but all went great. We were on the third floor and stayed in the "Hillside" room. John showed us around the mansion and explained things as we went. Julie was not present but at their business downtown and it is a wonderful "kitchen" store. We had plans to meet up with others in Hannibal but we decided to enjoy a cup of coffee on the beautiful front porch overlooking the manicured lawn before leaving for the evening. They are in the process of building another covered pavillion which one can view from the front porch.

Our room the "Hillside" (third floor) was quaint and had everything one needed and more. Although the bathroom is small they have provided all the comforts of home...toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, blow dryer, etc. Loved the added touch of the old time nightshirts...I decided to go back in time an wear...fun fun. Robes are very comfy and available to purchase (will do that the next time). We never heard anyone from any other room...seemed very private. They had ceiling fan and one could adjust temperature in their rooms. Our window overlooked where the lamas are fenced.

Breakfast on both days were yummy. Love the homemade juice and the presentation of the food is great. No complaints at all on the selections. Maybe next time though we will luck out and get the french toast. The quiche was very good though.

There was cold drinks and large selection of hot drinks available 24/7 and we enjoyed taking often out on the porch. Due to the rain off and on we never was able to make walk around the grounds but did venture out to see the llamas.

If one enjoys quite, secluded and away from the hustle and bustle but with the ease of getting into town...this is a great stay. Hannibal is filled with great selections of "to dos". Lets one take in the history of old and embrace "back when".

In clicking below the rating of services....we did not of course do fitness center but unable to remove once I clicked on them.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank frg1995

Reviewed 16 May 2014

Over the years I have had some poor experiences with the hosts, John & Julie in various capacities. I was in hopes they were perhaps an aberration and Julie was having a bad day. Being a business owner, I understand that things do not always go smoothly. However, this past December I was accosted by Julie as our group was exiting the mansion about the agreed upon rate for a home tour and refreshments. My company brought a bus tour group of 45 people to Hannibal, for the Historic Home Holiday tours of 3 different B&B properties. My responsibility was to give the check for all properties to Julie, with the understanding that she would distribute it to the others. However, as I was saying good-bye, Julie turned around abruptly and in front of everyone, which included members of our group, and informed me she couldn't do this for that amount of money if she had to share with the other B&Bs we had toured the same day. I was astounded she would say such a thing to me. I told her that was the agreed upon rate, and she was the one who came up with the price. I had just brought 45 people into her B&B and paid her for it. Several members of our bus group purchased wine and items from her gift shop, which added to her income that day. She had publicity in my catalog, on my website and in the St. Louis Community College Catalog, which I have now removed. We had two more sold out tours coming to Hannibal for the same itinerary the following week, and I replaced Garth-Woodside with another property, who was grateful for the exposure. So as a guest, be sure everything is secured in writing. Also be aware that the proprietors have struggled to hold back on some very rude behavior in my presence. Julie did cash and deposit my check into her account. My groups will not be going back to Garth Mansion.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank StLTourGirl
Garthmansion, Owner at Garth Woodside Mansion Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

We are so sorry for this entire affair. On behalf of Hannibal Visitor's Center, which I am a member we apologize. The City of Hannibal should have never entered into a contract with the three inns without first confirming the prices with each of them. We totally understand how that could throw a wrench into your trip with your guests. We just cannot do a tour for $2.66 and feed 45 people. Truly sorry for all of us. You are correct, get everything in writing from each place and make sure the person writing the contract has contacted each venue.
I cannot think of one establishment that is able to provide a tour for those prices. ~julie

Reviewed 28 April 2014

This was our second visit to Garth Mansion and it was wonderful. We had such a wonderful, fun and relaxing weekend. Julie and John were so much fun, and we really enjoyed time spent in the kitchen watching Julie cook. We will definaely be back again and intend to bring friends so they can experience the Mansion and it's innkeepers!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Garthmansion, Owner at Garth Woodside Mansion Estate, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2014

It really was a blast in the kitchen that night. Come back anytime, especially with more friends. There are always MORE desserts to try. ~julie

Reviewed 27 April 2014

This was my second stay at the mansion and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. It was the best time I've ever had at a bed and breakfast! We stayed in one of the cottages. It was quiet and restful. The breakfast was delicious, healthy and filling. We also were treated to a wonderful meal. The proprietors are friendly, accommodating and thoroughly entertaining gracious hosts. It's like spending time with your favorite relatives. I would love to come back for another visit.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank LMW0507

That was one of our most fun weekends here in Hannbal for Girls Weekend. It was fun in the kitchen with all of you as well. Hope to see you next year with even more stories to tell. Thanks again.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

This was our first stay at Garth Woodside Mansion, and we stayed in the Samuel Clemens room. The bathroom was a little small, but the room itself was lovely, and the bed was very comfortable. We stay two nights and our first morning there our hostess Julie told us 'You are going to love you breakfast' and she was not kidding! We stay in B&Bs 3-4 times a year and we had hands down the best breakfast ever! Julie and John were warm and friendly. The mansion itself is a must. Many of the furniture is original and you can even climb all the way up to the eagle's nest! Highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at the Garth Woodside Mansion Estate, summer 2000. We have stayed at the "Mansion" (as we fondly refer to it) more than 15 times. We have introduced the Mansion to many of our friends and have made friends during our visits. Some we have even seen during other visits.

I tell others that visiting the Garth Woodside Mansion is like stepping into a quiet, beautiful peaceful world away from civilization. We have experienced all four seasons, from peaceful snowy winter days to the warm Missouri summer, to the beautiful spring flowers and singing birds to the breathtaking view of the fall colors. The scenery is a photographers dream!!!

John and Julie are the kindest, most down to earth caring individuals and we are blessed to call them friends!!

Everyone must add the Garth Woodside Mansion Estate to the list of "places to visit'!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We recently stayed at the Garth Woodside Mansion B&B for a romantic Valentine's getaway. We stayed in the Samuel Clemens room,which was lovely. Our hosts, John and Julie, were wonderful. They make you feel that you've been friends for a long time. They always have time for you and go out of their way to make you feel at home and happily address any special preferences you have. I recommend anyone to visit Garth Woodside. Julie is a fantastic cook and if you have any dietary preferences ,just let her know. This is our third visit in several years.

Room Tip: All rooms in the mansion are on the second and third floors. No elevator. There are some private cab...