“Seductive relaxation”

Garth Woodside Mansion Estate
Ranked #2 of 8 Hannibal B&B and Inns
“Seductive relaxation”
Reviewed 12 July 2006

Living a typical fast-paced lifestyle, I anticpated a slow relaxing weekend getaway and was not disappointed. The beautiful building and grounds came into view driving up the winding entry. Julie ckecked us in (with grace and not a little humor) and John escorted us to our room (carrying my bag even), prepped the room and gave us the general overview of the place. We had dinner out that night (and now I regret the experience) but their son Sean convinced us to have his favorite dessert when we returned. The banana dish was stupendous, by the way. A perfect breakfast began the next day- while we watched the llamas play- and we did the whole Hannibal tour on our own, returning for dinner before a great evening out at the Mark Twain one-man show.
Now, when I say I get up early I mean about 6AM--but... we lolled around that beautiful half-canopy, feather bed till mid-morning only coming down for breakfast at the very last moment. We had signed up for a 9 AM breakfast and made it there by 9:30. John poured his custom Garth juice and served the fruit bowl. Julie came by to see how we were and asked if we knew what happeded if we were late for breakfast. Only a little chagrinned I responded 'no' and she told me-Nothing happens! They kept our meal ready and warmed for us. During the day while we were out we decided to stay over another day. I slept even later the last morning. It was so relaxing.
The meals were delicious (THE best salmon I ever had), the room decidedly comfortable (I loved the robes too), and ambiance charming (featherbed and lightweight comforter and a claw-foot tub). I expect to return again- perhaps soon. We had three wonderful days there and I am still feeling a bit slower-paced and relaxed.This place is definitely a must-do if you are near the area.

• Stayed July 2006
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Reviewed 5 July 2006

Don't let the dirt-road approach to the mansion mislead you! This amazing structure is breath-taking when lit up in the evening as it was when we arrived. Save for the paved driveway and SUV's parked to the side it feels like a trip back in time. The proprietors each have their own distinct personality - a nice blend. As we visited during Tom Sawyer days we unfortunately spent little daytime at the mansion. A morning stroll to a nearby gazebo and bridge with a hot mug of coffee was the most pleasant sunrise I have spent in my years. The guests can come and go as they please with an automated combination door lock - there is no curfew here! There is less mingling with other guests than at other B&B's but I found this to only add to our relaxing weekend. Breakfast was a great time with hostess Julie who encouraged chatting between tables - so we got to know a little bit about the other guests, but were NOT required to all sit at one large table for awkward and forced conversation while trying to eat. I definitely prefer Julie's way! This was a 5 year anniversary trip for my sweetheart and I, and the mansion made it memorable and fun. Thanks Julie & John!

• Stayed June 2006
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 June 2006

My husband and I stayed at this historic mansion this past weekend. Lots of history connected to Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens). We stayed in the Samuel Clemens Room. The mansion is restored and roomy and very clean. The hosts were wonderful and the food was gourmet. They also have three lamas on the grounds that you can feed. We enjoyed the quiet country atmosphere and no TV!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 June 2006

Owners John and Julie have gone to great lengths to make this a perfect romantic retreat. King size feather bed, quality sheets, a bathroom big enough to park your car with fireplace, multihead shower and, of course whirlpool tub. Also a hottub on the deck. Best personal touch however is delicious breakfast delivered to your cottage without ever seeing a soul. You stay cuddled up in your room while breakfast is set up in the kitchen. When the last of the details are carefully executed, a small red light alerts you that the wait staff has exited and your breakfast awaits. --a well thought out touch!

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 June 2006

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at a beautiful B&B in Hannibal, Missouri. It is the Garth Woodside Mansion. Not only are the grounds and the mansion completely lovely but so are the hosts who welcome you to their home. We stayed in one of their private cottages that includes a fireplace in the living room and bedroom, a large bedroom, living room, and bathroom, and a two person hottub on a private deck. The cottage backs to woods and is very private and quiet. The breakfast provided was wonderful and was something we looked forward to every morning. The Garth also has a resturant that serves fabulous gourmet dinners in a very romantic setting. In the three nights that we spent at the Garth Woodside Mansion we left knowing that we would return every year for our anniversary.

7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
St. Louis
Reviewed 24 May 2006

I picked the perfect way to treat my wife to a two-year anniversary celebration: spend the weekend at the Garth Mansion!

My wife had never been to a b & b, and I had visited the Garth in 1999 and had a wonderful time. It was, once again, a terrific choice!

She was so amazed at the home and grounds, nothing really prepares you for seeing the Garth mansion in person, as it's set alone in wooded acres just outside Hannibal. After our short drive from St. Louis, we parked, got our overnight bags, and received a warm reception from Julie, our hostess.

Julie is one of those people who can make anyone feel like she's known them for years, right up my wife's alley, who has that same quality. We registered in a jiffy (one form to sign, and a quick card swipe), treated ourselves to some fresh, homemade cookies and delicious coffee served in warmed mugs, and enjoyed Julie's tour and historical briefing of the first floor. The Victorian decor, period furnishings, and bold colors are so wonderfully done, and it's so hard to believe that all this luxury was "merely" the summer home for the Garth family. Amazing.

One nice feature of the Garth is the ability to see all the rooms from their website; that made it easy to pick one with mostly blue, my wife's favorite color, when I made our reservation in March. We met John, Julie's husband and co-host, and Sean, their son and headwaiter for the restaurant. They ribbed us about pre-ordering beer instead of wine with our "wine, cheese, and fruit basket", but we prefer beer...and who knew they'd have Chimay, that wonderful Belgian beer? Outstanding! We settled into the Oden S. Rogers room for the evening, after Julie turned down our bed and showed us how everything worked, including the "instant-on" gas fireplace, a very nice, romantic touch.

We'd signed up for breakfast at 8:30 a.m., but were already up at 7:00a for some fresh coffee and juice that we enjoyed on the patio outdoors. A big scene-stealer all weekend was "Cookie", the 4-day-old baby llama. It was fun to watch her explore life just away from her mom and the other llama in the fenced pasture just across from the Woodside restaurant, built recently in a very complimentary style at the back of the Garth mansion. The Woodside now hosts the morning breakfast, in lieu of the Garth's traditional dining room, and also offers a full menu each evening for guests of the Garth and others.

Our first breakfast was delicious, fresh fruit served with a wonderful lemon cream sauce, warm muffins and raspberry butter, and a baked egg / cheese / vegetable casserole. We left just after to visit some Hannibal staples: the MarkTwain cave, and the Rockcliffe Mansion, and enjoyed them both. Returning to the Garth, we brought some cheese, fruit, crackers, and Chimay to the patio for a late lunch, then retreated to the quiet comfort of our room for a nice nap.

We'd made dinner reservations for the Woodside at 7:00p, and were seated there to again enjoy the llama show and beautiful sunset through the windows. Dinner at the Woodside is very relaxed, there's no rush. We didn't desire an appetizer, so settled for the bell-pepper salad for me (fresh greens inside a whole, sweet red pepper, with a honey-based dressing), and a delightful Swedish onion soup for my wife (French onion soup style, but a completely different flavor). She ordered the salmon in puff pastry, and I had the roasted pork tenderloin with pineapple chutney; both were so tasty. We chose the "Flaming Fruit" for dessert, prepared tableside by Chef Eric, and the five-foot "whoosh" of ignited orange brandy definitely got everyone's attention!

After a nice nightcap of Bailey's and coffee, we made our way to our room for a second good night's rest. Sunday morning came too soon (doesn't it always?), and we again lingered on the patio with some fresh coffee before breakfast. Sunday's spread featured the sliced fresh fruit and lemon cream sauce, with small loaves of banana nut bread, then a wonderful southwestern egg casserole made from flour tortillas, eggs, bacon and sausage, cheese, and fresh salsa on the side.

After breakfast, we said our goodbyes to the llamas, went for a nice walk around the grounds, and had a nice visit with John and Julie on our way out.

All in all: what a nice place to spend the weekend, and we'll be back!

• Stayed May 2006
9 Thank Lowell M
Reviewed 23 April 2006

This B&B was recommended to us by two different familys that had a previous experience and they did not lead us astray. There was nothing mundane about this Victorian home. Julie, John and Sean were great hosts. There was always something going on, be it mushroom hunting, taking in the beautiful surroundings or waiting patiently for the lama to have her little one. (no it didn't happen while we were there). Oh, and best of all the entertainment of the baking of the yearly "bunny cake". What a wonderful family project. Thank you for making us feel like family from the time we entered the front door. We went away feeling like we had known you forever. Also, kudos to the Cheif the Saturday night meal was excellent. We will be back. God's blessings to all. Thank you for sharing your home and insite.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hannibal
Best Western On The River
Quality Inn & Suites
#3 of 10 in Hannibal
Town & Country Inn and Suites Quincy
Main Street Bed & Breakfast

Been to Garth Woodside Mansion Estate? Share your experiences!