“Nice Neighborhood Spot”

Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
St. Louis, Missouri, United States
“Nice Neighborhood Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2014

A nice little neighborhood spot. The food is always good and so is the service. The portions are a very good size.

• Visited January 2014

Saint Louis, Missouri
“If you want the true Mexican experience...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

go to Pueblo Nuevo. Here you will find fairly authentic and sometimes outstanding Mexican food, served to you by the most incredibly indifferent waitstaff I have ever seen. It is really like being in Mexico!! They are even rude at times. You will have to do everything by yourself. Go and get the menus, flag a waitress to give your order and wait and wait and wait to be served. God help you if you did not get enough napkins, because you ain't gettin' em from the staff. Want another beer? Go and get it.

I happen to be partial to birria, a stew made of goatmeat. They will have it about half of the time. It is outstanding, as is the guacomole. Fajitas and chile rellenos are also very worthwhile. Black bean soup outstanding.

I am a generous tipper, but I'm tempted to stiff them every time I go there. Wish I could do without the birria.

• Visited March 2013
Hazelwood, Missouri, United States
“Best Mexican Food in St. Louis!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 November 2013

This place has been around since the 80's. It is a family run Mexican restaurant with authentic Mexican Food. I have had most everything on the menu in the last 25 years. The majority of dinner items are less than $12 aside from seafood items. When in doubt what meat to choose in any item choose shredded PORK or CHICKEN. DO NOT GET GROUND BEEF! I highly recommend Chaquilles. It is like a Mexican lasagna or the crispy pork dish. I like there meatball soup too. This is NOT five star service place. Don't judge the food by the service! Come in a grab an open table. If you a looking for homogenized main stream Mexican go to taco bell. This is not your place. Everybody I have taken to this place has ALWAYS said this was great Mexican restaurant .

• Visited October 2013
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Come Hungry!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

We have not been up to this little place in a plain strip mall in over 10 years. A coworker was talking about it a few weeks back, so we decided to visit.

It is not fancy, but the food is good. The staff tries hard. They had a band on Saturday night playing a mix of traditional Mexican songs and some more main stream tunes. The two guys actually were pretty good and worked the tables. It made the non decript place have some atmosphere.

The hot salsa is pretty potent! The fajitas were ok. I had a variety plate with an empnada and burrito. They have big portions and it was served hot and was very tasty.

Service was like most of these places. Go for the food not for fine dining and being pampered.

• Visited October 2013
juanpe
“good food horrrible, horrible service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2013

I have eating at Pueblo Nuevo for many years. I do not know if there has been a change in management recently but the service is positively awful. The last two times I have been there the waitress was rude, never checked back on us and we had to constant flag her down for beverages or extra napkins, etc. Finally when she had enough of us she simply pretended to ignore us! Although the food is good, dining out should be an over all experience and when the service is so complacent and uninterested in the diners it is time to move on to another more friendly Mexican restaurant who actually appreciates our business instead of simply tolerating our being there.

• Visited July 2013