“Wish I checked this site first”

Days Inn St. Louis North
Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Hazelwood
Normal, Illinois
“Wish I checked this site first”
Reviewed 6 August 2007

We picked this hotel because we were really late planning our trip.
With our 4 kids it's hard to get a single room and we like to have adjacent rooms.
AAA got us this room but honestly it's our fault. We'd stayed in this hotel 10 years ago and it was fine. there was a nice restaurant next to the hotel and it was average for its type.
first the plusses:
The staff are great and helpful.
The pool was clean and maintained.
It was near where we wanted to be.

minuses:
My room had a water leak from the equipment room next to it. I should have been discovered by housekeeping, but maybe it was a new leak. Maintenance got right on it when i informed them though.
My wifes room though a non-smoking room had been smoked in. It smelled really bad.
The advertised Free wifi was for the lobby area only.
The restaurant that was next to the hotel has been turned into a church.
the beds were very uncomfortable.

we ended up cutting our trip a day short because of these issues.

• Liked — it was close to where we were going
  • Disliked — felt uncomfortable there.
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Seattle
Reviewed 18 April 2006

This was probably the worst hotel I ever stayed in. The most I can say for it is that the desk staff was very friendly and helpful. The room had a nonsmoking sign on the door, but reeked of cigarette smoke. Everything was shabby. The sheets were clean, but the blankets were not. The door did not seem very secure. The grounds were unkempt. I would not stay there again.

• Stayed September 2005

Travellers are raving about these Hazelwood hotels

Reviewed 22 July 2005

I too, stayed at the Day's Inn--Hazelwood, because of the location and price. I was with a large group, and because the other hotels in the area were full (except for the higher priced hotels) we opted to stay here.

The first night we stayed, the room we were given had roaches, and peeling wallpaper. The bathroom was so dirty, that we went to the local Walmart and bought tub cleaner, just so we could shower. The next day, we were moved to a different room--one that had a refrigerator, since we were going to be staying a week. (if I would of had my choice, we would have left--but like I said, we were with a group). The second room was a little better---at least it didn't have the bugs (or at least I didn't see any) and the "musky" smell was gone. The bathrooms however, were still dirty, and every day we either had to ask for clean towels or go get them ourselves. We even had to request that our room be cleaned. (which we ended up vaccuuming ourselves...) The sliding glass door was broken--

I have stayed in Days Inn Hotels before, and they have always been nice. I am sorry to say that this on needs a lot of work and I won't be staying there again. If I ever head back to St. Louis--I will definately find another place to stay.

• Stayed July 2005
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Arkansas
Reviewed 20 July 2005

We had a large group stay for a week at this hotel. Just a few of the problems we had were broken chairs and tables, broken doors and windows, mildew in ALL the bathrooms, uncleaned rooms and refrigerators, torn sheets, broken and unsafe electrical outlets, broken light fixtures, insects in some rooms (roaches, fleas, ants and spiders), the rooms were very seldom cleaned, almost never vacumed and we had to go to the desk for towels and toilet paper from the first day until we left. Most of the rooms smelled really bad. The only good thing I can think of was that the rooms were bigger than normal, with some of the rooms having a small kitchen area with an additional small sink and a microwave and small refrigerator. The major problems were just a lack of cleanliness and repair. If it hadn't been for the location to the event were were attending and trying to find the entire group accomodations elsewhere at a time when most of the local hotels were booked up we would have left. You can bet we will not be back.....EVER.

Stayed July 2005
2 Thank tyson4
Reviewed 18 May 2004

May 18/04

On April 16/04 we travelled to St.Louis for the evening from Evansville. We choose the Days Inn in Hazelwood because of the rates and the location. First of all, we arrived around 10 pm, we went to our room. We called the front desk about more pillows, no can do. Fine we survived. The room was booked in advance for 4 adults, there was 2 sets of towels in the room, had to ask for more. We left on saturday morning to go site seeing. We went back to Evansville, sunday realized that one of the parties left his keys in the room. Immediately, we called the hotel to see if they were there, yes they were. We were told they would be sent COD the next day. Well, make story short, this is over a month later, 5 calls from Evansville and 3 calls from Canada and the keys still have not arrived. The keys only had to be sent to Evansville, 150 miles away, this is pretty pathetic. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 March 2002

I was in attendance at an annual gathering at the Days Inn in Hazelwood, Missouri. Myself and a group of friends get together, rent out a conference room at a hotel, and just have fun. We decided on the Days Inn in Hazelwood since the prices seemed cheap. But, you get what you pay for.

Upon arrival, the hotel didn't have anybody's rooms ready. We had to hang out in the lobby waiting for the rooms to be cleaned, or something.

They knew about this meeting/party months in advance.

Anyway, once the rooms opened up, the party/meeting began. That's when the real problems began, too.

The meeting room was a lot smaller than they let on, and the meeting room wasn't even IN the hotel; it was across the parking lot in a restaurant.

Now, the meeting room was okay for what we wanted, but not overly so. It was only "okay". Let's move on to the actual rooms.

About the only GOOD thing I can say about them is the air-conditioning and they had electricity (needed for St. Louis' 95F nights in the summer). That's about it. Sofa beds (when provided) were broken. Toilet seats literally SHATTERED when nudged with a knee. Toilets overflowed and were not fixed, causing a raw sewage smell to sit in the stagnant air. Lights didn't work. Bulbs blew out as soon as you turned them on. Peeling paint on the walls. And the night shift; hoo-boy! Just don't try to get anything done when they're around.

All in all, the party/meeting went off without a hitch, but we swore to never go to a Days Inn again.

8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hazelwood
Quality Inn Florissant
#6 of 17 in Maryland Heights
Days Inn ST. Louis Lindbergh Boulevard
Quality Inn Airport St. Louis
Airport Plaza Inn & Conference Center

Been to Days Inn St. Louis North? Share your experiences!