“Two great stays, at the beginning and end of a Katy Trail bike ride”
Review of Herzog Mansion

Herzog Mansion
Ranked #33 of 50 Hermann B&B and Inns
Peoria, Illinois
“Two great stays, at the beginning and end of a Katy Trail bike ride”
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Stayed at Birk's Gasthaus at the start and end of a 3-day bike ride on the Katy Trail, and had great experiences each time. The room was clean, comfortable and well appointed, and Richard the innkeeper prepared excellent breakfasts both mornings. Richard is also an interesting guy to chat with on the large front porch in the evening.

A fine place to stay if you're in Hermann for the weekend to check out local wineries, or as a stop on a Katy Trail ride. You'll also see it listed as Herzog Mansion.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Iowa
Reviewed 5 April 2010

My husband and I just returned from a fabulous weekend at Birks Gasthaus. The rooms were well appointed and the king size bed was heavenly! Richard (a former chef) prepared an awesome breakfast each morning and we felt like a king and /queen! The town of Hermann is beautiful and rich in history. This is a fabulous 9 bedroom and 11 bathroom bed & breakfast built by the same person who built the Stone Hill winery. You will love the location, the many rooms, the spacious bedrooms, the rich history, the food!!! Even a "man cave" for the guys - with a flat screen, pool table, private bathroom.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed 24 October 2009

My wife and I recently stayed at Birk's. It is clean, quiet and centrally located in Hermann. Richard is fantastic, gave us great suggestions on places to see/visit. Will definitely stay here again when travelling to Hermann.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Kansas City
Reviewed 14 September 2009

We were driving in from about 3 hours away and the owner let us check in late, which I appreciated. The house is completely charming. We liked our room a lot. The location of this place was perfect for us because we could walk everywhere, but not hear the noise of downtown at night. The food was delicious. I would highly recommend this place.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
St. Louis, MO
Reviewed 28 May 2009

My wife and I recently traveled by train to Hermann and decided to stay at Birk's. The inkeeper, Richard, picked us up at the station and gave us a brief overview of Hermann on the way to the house.The house was as expected, high ceilings, transoms, large rooms, and a wonderful porch. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotless. The bathroom had a big claw foot tub with a shower. Perhaps the best part of the stay was breakfast. Richard fixed a swiss cheese omelet with portabella mushrooms that was to die for and German (French) toast the next day. I highly recommend Birk's if you're looking for a B & B in Hermann. We'll definitely be returning, maybe for a "murder mystery weekend".

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank brucek65
Kansas City
Reviewed 2 February 2009

I found the house and Richard to both be wonderful and charming. I thought the rooms were exactly what I expected and beautiful. I would completely recommend Birks.

I didn't read this site before going. After spending the weekend there I would agree with some of the things like heat and antiques. But I don't go to a B&B in a 130 year home and expect a Marriott. I went for the experience and received exactly what I expected and then some.

As for Richard (the owner) he is outstanding. The conversations and his hospitality was exactly what I had hoped for. He immediately told me about the previous owner. I also got to hear about that again when we stopped at the Hermann Chamber of Commerce. I hope that reputation goes away quickly for Richard's sake. He is a top notch guy that I hope is very successful.

Hat's off to Birks for a great weekend.

Scott

• Liked — The House and Richard
  • Disliked — Nothing was a real bother to me
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank ScottHLeigh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermann
Cedar Creek
Hermann Crown Suites
Hermann Crown Suites
#7 of 50 in Hermann
Harbor Haus Inn & Suites

Been to Herzog Mansion? Share your experiences!