Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages
Ranked #1 of 51 Hermann B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 May 2013

My wife and I went to Hermann Hill for our twentieth wedding anniversary. The weather outside was cold and dreary and we could not have cared less. It was warm in the Jacuzzi and the staff was sunny. From the second you get out of your car to the last glace back, this place is special. The food is wonderful, the staff is professional and caring, the view is spectacular, and the amenities in the rooms are the best!

We are going back next year!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Peggy and Terry H, General Manager at Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Thank you for celebrating your 20th anniversary with us and for posting such gracious comments about our staff. While passion is sometimes an overused word I'm pleased that you share our belief that our staff genuinely enjoys making our guests happy. It's what makes the Hermann Hill culture so unique.

Thanks again for posting on Trip Advisor!

Leslie,

Reviewed 17 April 2013

What an amazing time my husband and I had at the cottages at Hermann Hill!! We stayed in the Captains Heckmann Suite, upper level. I loved the gorgeous textured concrete floors! They were heated, OMG. The kitchen was beautiful, and was stocked with muffins, bread & butter, egg casseroles, breakfast pastries (my favorite), cookies, special raspberry chocolate sauce, ice cream, sodas, water, waffle mix (LOVED), coffee, and MORE! I felt like I was at a home away from home.

There was a see-through fireplace in the living room and bedroom. TWO TVs, books, DVD player, and stereo. The bed was super comfy, and the provided ear plugs completely drowned out the noise from the train. At first, I thought, oh boy, we are super close to the train tracks, but by the end of the stay, I was loving the train noise! I reminded me of a toy train running around a fantasy village! I didn't hear any train whistles, so maybe that's why it didn't bother me so much.

The outdoor hot tub was very clean and oh so nice. It was nice to feel the breeze and to watch the birds playing in the trees outside off the deck.

We loved the indoor HUGE jacuzzi tub! I cannot believe it had colored changing lights! Super romantic. My husband loved the steam and rain shower so much that we want to get one for home.

We had such a great time that we plan to go back VERY soon, maybe in the next month or so. We made so many wonderful memories in this town.

Thank you for pampering us!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Peggy and Terry H, Owner at Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

"Wow" is right. What a great review! Thank you for detailing so many of our cottage amenities so that other guests understand what will be available to them. Our staff always likes hearing about our strict cleanliness standards. We change the outdoor hot tub water with each departing guest and refill it with hot water so you always get totally clean when upon arrival that should be ready for your immediate use.
We keep adding more breakfast choices and other amenities for our cottage guests and promise you that we'll maintain our commitment to continuous improvement. Our entire Hermann Hill staff looks forward to your next return and again thanks you for such a fantastic Trip Advisor review.

Reviewed 10 April 2013

We had our wedding at Hermann Hill on April 5, 2013. They could not have done a better job with our wedding in taking care of every single detail. We absolutely loved our experience. After our reception we stayed in one of the cottages as part of our "honeymoon" package. I think it was cottage 501. Very nice, very clean, well taken care of. The "room" has a full eat in kitchen, fridge stocked with snacks, breakfast casserole, muffins and drinks. The deck off the living room area was amazing and very private. Hot tub and grill are on the deck overlooking the river, really cool! In the bedroom, the bed was a King, very comfortable and a good sleep. My husband complained about the train noise that night, i didn't hear a thing, and they do have ear plugs for you next to the bed as well as sleep masks! The giant hot tub/bath in the bedroom is really nice. Just be sure you don't use the aromatherapy oils that are meant for the aromatherapy fireplace that sits over the tub, IN the tub! They have the oils right next to the tub, not a good spot--enuff said! :) The steam/rainfall shower is amazing! The only complaint i had about the unit itself was that the floors are made of this really awesome, stained/stamped concrete to look like wood, but it hurts on bare feet! Use your flip flops! Maybe a rug or two would help out? Overall, the experience at Hermann Hill is amazing. You will not get a better view or feel more welcomed anywhere in town. Its definitely worth the $! If you are looking for a place to have your wedding in wine country- trust me, don't cheap out and go anywhere else, this place is amazing!!!! Whether you have 10 guests or 100 like we did, everything is taken care of! We will be back every year!

Room Tip: If trains at night are going to bother you, you probably didn't have enough wine!
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Michelle S

Thank you for choosing Hermann Hill for your wedding venue and for posting your comments about your stay in Cottage Five. We're glad that you enjoyed the amenities and especially appreciate your statements about the value you found. We agree with you that wearing the flip flops we provide will make the stamped concrete floors easier to walk on. We decided on this type of floor because most of our guest's traffic is from the outdoor hot tub to the indoor steam shower and carpet would quickly be degraded.

Congratulations on your marriage and thanks again for your comments. We look forward to seeing you back in our River bluff Cottages to celebrate your first anniversary.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Great service, wonderful rooms, I love the steam showers. We decided to stay last minute instead of driving back from kansas city to Indianapolis 9 hours. The stay was to break up the drive, it sure did we stayed 2 days. Once we got into our room and looked out at the view of Herman and remembered how nice the last stay was, we booked another night. They have a wonderful chocolate lab that greets you when you arrive and leave. If you give him a treat he will not leave your side. Amazing breakfast choices, world class staff, and brownies and ice cream delivered nightly. We had such a nice time we booked a room for our daughter and new husband to stay 2 nights. The new rooms have sauna, hot tubs, steam showers and a cozy tub for 2 and a new spa on ghe 2nd floor. You would never expect so much luxury from a small town bed and breakfast. We travel a lot and this property is in the top 2 places we have stayed ever. A congradulations to the staff. Good job Terry! You continue to provide an experience that makes you feel like the value well exceeds the price. (This in no way is intended to have you raise your prices). Joe and Debbie

• Stayed: April 2013
Peggy and Terry H, Owner at Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2013

Thank you for your kind comments. As soon as we opened our River bluff cottages our guests told us how much they loved the steam showers, jacuzzis, and hot tubs. Our major renovations at the Inn resulted in all of our rooms (at both properties) having steam showers and four of the eight Inn rooms having hot tubs. Hermann Hill is a totally guest driven business and from our Chocolate Lab Lewis greeting you upon arrival to warm cookie and ice cream delivery at night it's our passion to constantly improve.
Terry, Peggy, and Lewis

Reviewed 2 April 2013

This place is amazing! I couldn't recommend it enough! I took my husband away as a surprise 40th birthday trip, but we returned from our trip feeling like newlyweds. There's no need to travel overseas when you can come here and feel pampered and spoiled. The hospitality is incredible, the food and "extras" are amazing, and the town is very charming. We already booked for 2014. Come to this place! You won't regret it!!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Even though it took a year we greatly appreciate you taking the time to write your review. Many of our guests have told us that choosing to stay at Hermann Hill is their major getaway of the year. We take that responsibility very seriously. Our staff is dedicated to making your stay special and we look forward to fluffing up the pillows for your next reservation.

Thanks again,

Peggy

Reviewed 25 March 2013

The only thing I regret is that it's taken me a year to write this review :)

Last year my husband and I snagged a Living Social deal for two nights at Hermann Hill for our anniversary. The deal was about half off the regular rate, and I said to myself "No way would I ever pay full price for this!" What can I say, I was raised to be very frugal.

Well, the entire experience exceeded my expectations, and then some.

We were treated to cheese, sausage, bread, and wine upon arrival, and given a personal welcome by Peggy, one of the inkeepers. We had chosen the Chambourcin suite, and it was a dream. A jacuzzi tub, a huge shower, our own private patio with hot tub, not to mention the comfy bed and huge TV. They also deliver cookies and ice cream to your room every night, and there was a selection of beverages available all day.

Breakfast was delicious--custom ordered, delivered to our room, eaten on the patio with mimosas in the cool morning breeze.

The inn is very accommodating--if you are a people person, there are plenty of opportunities to chat. But if you want to be left alone, you rarely have to interact with anyone. You can have breakfast in the dining room or have it delivered to your room. The inn is very private; despite the fact that they were at full occupancy, we only saw another guest once. I loved this--I'm an introvert and I don't want to make small talk with strangers on vacation.

They have two lovely dogs on the property. I'm not a dog person and usually avoid them, but these dogs were so friendly and well behaved that I actually enjoyed them!

I will say that the Chambourcin suite is right below the kitchen, and as a light sleeper, the sounds of breakfast being prepared above did wake me earlier than I would have liked. It was not a big deal, but the innkeepers might consider adding some additional soundproofing.

Anyway, the experience blew us out of the water to the extent that we are returning this year, and we are trying out the Vignoles suite this time. I can't imagine another place I would rather go for some much-needed rest, relaxation, pampering, and couple time.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsGross
Peggy and Terry H, Owner at Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2013

Thank you for your gracious comments. Last year's Living Social deal brought us many new guests who have subsequently re booked and bought many gift certificates for their family and friends. When we built our River bluff cottages with amenities like steam showers and hot tubs in addition to our Jacuzzi tubs the guest response was overwhelmingly positive, so over the past two years we have added steam showers to all of our inn rooms. Again, this has proven extremely popular. Your choice of Vignoles for your next stay will take your Hermann Hill experience to the next level, as that room also has a very large indoor hot tub and linear fireplace in addition to a Sanijet Jacuzzi Tub and steam shower.
We look forward to your next visit and promise to continue to pay attention to the details that you and our other guests have found provide great value in a bed and breakfast experience. Again, Thanks.

Peggy

Reviewed 19 March 2013

We found Hermann Hill Inn through a web search for 'most romantic' and it was that, and more! From the moment we arrived - the inn's fire blazing, the beautiful views, the ultra-friendly staff - we knew it was just the right place for our getaway. The Vignoles room is absolutely beautiful and super-clean, with every guest friendly amenity you can think of, from binoculars to flashlights to flip-flops and big towels for the hot tub. The bed - absolutely divine. It's somewhat easy to hear from room to room, so don't go with the intention to tell any secrets over a whisper, but once you sink into the impeccable hot tub with the linear gas fireplace and feel the breeze from the open door to your private hot tub room, that just won't matter. GREAT bathroom with a huge tub-for-two and a state-of-the-art steam shower. We're going to go back with no intention of leaving the room! All this and a beautiful hillside view of a village that from the window, it truly does look like a step back in time - church steeples, river, and vineyards. I can't end without mentioning the staff one more time - each staff member was welcoming, professional, friendly, and each went out of their way to make our stay special.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple

We are thrilled that you found us under "most romantic" in your web search and appreciate your wonderful comments about your stay in the Vignoles Room at our Vineyard Inn & Spa. Cleanliness is the most important responsibility accepted by our staff and three different people check each Inn Room and River Bluff cottage prior to your arrival. Regarding our staff's attitude, guests tell us that the days are over when the superficial "cruise ship happy happy mentality" was the mainstay in the hospitality industry. Instead, our staff shares a genuine passion to assure each guest's satisfaction with their Hermann Hill stay. Your comments obviously attest to our staff's efforts and we thank you very much for your encouragement.

Terry

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermann
Cedar Creek
Cobbler Room & Cottage B&B and Massage
Stone Haus B&B
Stone Haus B&B
#13 of 51 in Hermann

Been to Hermann Hill Vineyard Inn & Spa and River Bluff Cottages? Share your experiences!