“Great stay for a group!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hermann
Montague's Bed and Breakfast, BBQ and Philosopher's Coffeehouse
Ranked #34 of 50 Hermann B&B and Inns
Rockport, Il.
“Great stay for a group!”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We had a great time at Montague's B&B! It is in an excellent location in Herman. The rooms are set up perfectly for couple's with an area to socialize in at night. Everything in Herman closes down at 5 pm! We drank our wine and visited in the sitting area. The breakfast is fabulous!! Very filling and more than enough to eat! Definately would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank mdamon4

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Southwest MO
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Just stayed at Montague's last weekend. $95 per night was a steal compared to other lodging in the area. Friends paid nearly $200 per night for a place that was not (overall) any better. In fact, Montagues beat the competition not only in price, but in location and breakfast. The owner (Louie) was always on-site when I needed him. He is very approachable, friendly and cooks a mean breakfast! I loved his hearty breakfasts comprised primarily of bacon, eggs, and bread in one form or another. Great start for a day of visiting wineries :)

I will admit, the stairs to the 3rd floor are steep, narrow, and winding. (I have a knee injury and had to use caution, so you might want to consider this if you have a serious physical limitation. By using caution, I was able to navigate them without incident.) Remember that this is an old building, so the floors creak a bit and are a somewhat uneven. (For example, there is an old iron provided to prop open the bathroom door if you get the attic room.) But!! This is an independent business and I feel they do their best to satisfy their customers. So, if you're spoiled and insist upon lots of extras and perfect conditions, this may not be the place for you. There are plenty of upscale bed and breakfasts to choose from, ranging from $200 all the way up to the $600 range in the Hermann area. But, if you're like me, and you're on a budget and you have the ability to enjoy the simple pleasures in life (nice people, a comfy bed, a good meal, etc.) then Montague's is the place for you :)

I did not have the privilege of eating at the BBQ restaurant on the ground floor. I do, however, know that he makes everything from scratch (from the potato salad to even the salad dressings, etc.) If his BBQ is anything like his breakfasts, then I am sure the food will satisfy most palates.

The location can't be beat: right on Schiller street in the heart of the historic downtown area. Plenty of on-street parking. Hermann is a quiet town, so I never felt the need to worry about my car overnight.

Another tip: Tin Mill brewery. Great local beer!! :) Also, The Bank. Great upscale drinks!! :)

Room Tip: I prefer the top floor (Attic room) located on the 3rd floor. It is more private than the 2nd floor...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank MOchick
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My husband and I went in October of 09, we were on the 3rd floor, the only ones on the floor at that time, they were renovating what looked to be 2 other rooms on the floor. We loved it! It was 3 flights of narrow stairs, but what would you expect? The weather was awesome, the trees were gorgeous, the people were very friendly. I wanted to move to Hermann! I even went to the Real Estate company there to see how much a B&B would cost! The wineries are great and plentiful, there is also a great park on a huge fill that overlooks the town that we had the perfect picnic on. We did not get to experience the delicious BBQ, it was sold out everyday very early! so get there fast! Making this review nearly 2 years later because we are looking to go back!

Room Tip: if you don't want to walk up 3 flights of stairs, don't book the 3rd floor:)
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed in 3rd flr room, stairs were very steep, had a paine of glass knocked out in one of the windows, bathroom was a joke, no hot water in sink, VERY small shower, uncomfortable bed, woke up w/back ache, would NOT stay here again....location and low price is only thing going for this place.

• Stayed July 2011
Peculiar, Missouri
Reviewed 25 October 2010

It was our first trip to Hermann. We each wanted our own bed and wanted to stay where we wouldn't need a car. Montague's was an excellent choice--$95/night per room, each with its own bathroom. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and rustic. The building is very old and the floors creak and the doors don't shut perfectly, but we found it charming. The breakfasts were good, and the BBQ was EXCELLENT. The hourly bell tolling can be unsettling, but that's the only downside I found. It's also one of the few places in town that carries Coke products. We took the train in from Lee's Summit, walked to the B&B, rode the trolley to all the wineries and walked everywhere else. We had a great time, and I would highly recommend this place--best value in Hermann!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
st. louis
Reviewed 21 June 2010

We arrived a little after our ETA and Lewis, the owner was getting ready to call us to see where we were at- which I thougt was very considerate. The room was very warm, as it was 98 degrees outside that day & you could tell that the air conditioner (central air) had just been turned on that day. Looked at the themometer- it was 80. We headed down to the also warm restaurant for some great BBQ. Food was very good.
We stayed in the quilt room. while it was clean, the closets were filled with junk and cleaning supplies. The Bathroom had fresh towels and seemed clean. But you could not shut the door & and needed to use a door stop to do so, even then it didnt shut completly. There was a small fridge but with nothing in it, not even ice. No cups or silverware. theres a nice bottle opener if you bring back a bottle of wine, but no glasses.
I think this would be a an even better place if they would just put a tad more work into it.
all & all This is a fine place to stay if you just want a clean, comfortable & affordable place to stay. It was quiet & close to everything.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
OVerland Park, KS
Reviewed 8 October 2008

Montague's was a great little bed and breakfast. The place is conveniently located in the heart of downtown Hermann. It was easy walking distance to Hermannhoff, the art galleries, and antique shops. Parking was easy to find very near to the B & B.

The place has lots of character. We statyed in the attic room, which was very large and comfortable. One of my favorite treats is that each room has its own VCR/DVD player and a supply of fairly recent movies to watch. Since most of Hermann closes early, especially on Sunday nights, it was nice to be able to stay in the room and enjoy a movie.

Breakfast was great and something different each day. Since there are only three rooms, you get to meet and become friendly with the other guests. All in all, I would definitely recommend Montague's. Beware that the place is in an old home that hasn't been restored, so there are creaky floors and wobbly stair rails. Also, the entire town is pretty noisy at night. Between trains and a church clock that tolls every hour, it was hard to sleep.

Stayed October 2008