Montague's Bed and Breakfast, BBQ and Philosopher's Coffeehouse
Hermann Motel(Hermann)
US$61
Hermann Crown Suites(Hermann)(Great Value!)
US$107
US$99
US$198
US$289
Iron Horse Inn(Hermann)(Great Value!)
US$161
US$167
Stone Hill Overlook(Hermann)(Great Value!)
US$144
Agoda.com
Harbor Haus Inn & Suites(Hermann)(Great Value!)
US$66
US$407
US$350
Priceline
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 31 July 2013

We had a great time at Montague's B&B! It is in an excellent location in Herman. The rooms are set up perfectly for couple's with an area to socialize in at night. Everything in Herman closes down at 5 pm! We drank our wine and visited in the sitting area. The breakfast is fabulous!! Very filling and more than enough to eat! Definately would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mdamon4
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Just stayed at Montague's last weekend. $95 per night was a steal compared to other lodging in the area. Friends paid nearly $200 per night for a place that was not (overall) any better. In fact, Montagues beat the competition not only in price, but in location and breakfast. The owner (Louie) was always on-site when I needed him. He is very approachable, friendly and cooks a mean breakfast! I loved his hearty breakfasts comprised primarily of bacon, eggs, and bread in one form or another. Great start for a day of visiting wineries :)

I will admit, the stairs to the 3rd floor are steep, narrow, and winding. (I have a knee injury and had to use caution, so you might want to consider this if you have a serious physical limitation. By using caution, I was able to navigate them without incident.) Remember that this is an old building, so the floors creak a bit and are a somewhat uneven. (For example, there is an old iron provided to prop open the bathroom door if you get the attic room.) But!! This is an independent business and I feel they do their best to satisfy their customers. So, if you're spoiled and insist upon lots of extras and perfect conditions, this may not be the place for you. There are plenty of upscale bed and breakfasts to choose from, ranging from $200 all the way up to the $600 range in the Hermann area. But, if you're like me, and you're on a budget and you have the ability to enjoy the simple pleasures in life (nice people, a comfy bed, a good meal, etc.) then Montague's is the place for you :)

I did not have the privilege of eating at the BBQ restaurant on the ground floor. I do, however, know that he makes everything from scratch (from the potato salad to even the salad dressings, etc.) If his BBQ is anything like his breakfasts, then I am sure the food will satisfy most palates.

The location can't be beat: right on Schiller street in the heart of the historic downtown area. Plenty of on-street parking. Hermann is a quiet town, so I never felt the need to worry about my car overnight.

Another tip: Tin Mill brewery. Great local beer!! :) Also, The Bank. Great upscale drinks!! :)

Room Tip: I prefer the top floor (Attic room) located on the 3rd floor. It is more private than the 2nd floor, in my opinion (as anyone staying on the 3rd floor has to pass through the open floor plan of the 2nd floor to get to his/her room.)
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank MOchick
Reviewed 16 August 2012

My husband and I went in October of 09, we were on the 3rd floor, the only ones on the floor at that time, they were renovating what looked to be 2 other rooms on the floor. We loved it! It was 3 flights of narrow stairs, but what would you expect? The weather was awesome, the trees were gorgeous, the people were very friendly. I wanted to move to Hermann! I even went to the Real Estate company there to see how much a B&B would cost! The wineries are great and plentiful, there is also a great park on a huge fill that overlooks the town that we had the perfect picnic on. We did not get to experience the delicious BBQ, it was sold out everyday very early! so get there fast! Making this review nearly 2 years later because we are looking to go back!

Room Tip: if you don't want to walk up 3 flights of stairs, don't book the 3rd floor:)
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed in 3rd flr room, stairs were very steep, had a paine of glass knocked out in one of the windows, bathroom was a joke, no hot water in sink, VERY small shower, uncomfortable bed, woke up w/back ache, would NOT stay here again....location and low price is only thing going for this place.

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed 25 October 2010

It was our first trip to Hermann. We each wanted our own bed and wanted to stay where we wouldn't need a car. Montague's was an excellent choice--$95/night per room, each with its own bathroom. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and rustic. The building is very old and the floors creak and the doors don't shut perfectly, but we found it charming. The breakfasts were good, and the BBQ was EXCELLENT. The hourly bell tolling can be unsettling, but that's the only downside I found. It's also one of the few places in town that carries Coke products. We took the train in from Lee's Summit, walked to the B&B, rode the trolley to all the wineries and walked everywhere else. We had a great time, and I would highly recommend this place--best value in Hermann!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends