“Great Value - Holiday Fare Wine Trail Trip” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of A Secret Vine Bed & Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hermann
A Secret Vine Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #32 of 50 Hermann B&B and Inns
Springfield, IL
“Great Value - Holiday Fare Wine Trail Trip”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed in The Bay Suite at A Secret Vine Bed & Breakfast for 2 nights during the Holiday Fare Wine trail. We have been to Hermann many times and try to stay at different places when possible. I will admit I do NOT like to pay a lot for lodging but I have pretty high expectations (not always a good combo I know!) We were very pleased with the Bay Suite. It was clean, the bed was very comfortable, all the amenities you needed were available. The breakfast was delivered to our room at 9:30 each morning and was very yummy, hot and way better than I anticipated givent he value of our room.

The location of the B&B was perfect - right across from the bookstore (which made my husband very happy). The clock bell did chime every hour - but my husband liked it and I was able to ignore it most of the time.

I would totally stay at A Secret Vine again. It was a MAJOR value in a town where accommodations are really going up in price.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AppleDawn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

Terrible does not even start to describe our experience. The rate was cheap for a reason. We took a girls trip to visit the wineries of Hermann and rented both the Schwinn and GT suites. We knew they would be more 'value' type of places but we were not expecting the constant smell of sewage, stains on the carpets, black mold in the bedrooms, out of date EVERYTHING, comforters that were 20+ years old, stained old towels, stained sheets, stained couches and completely unacceptable kitchen areas. To top it off... what place in a 'Winery town' does not keep a wine bottle opener in the 'suite'. When we called to express our concerns of the smell and black mold in particular (One of our friends was pregnant and very concerned)...The owners response was "Its too late to get a refund, as it was 4pm in the afternoon." I do not recommend this place to anyone; gross is an understatement. Though it was a great location. But everywhere in this small town is a great location. Check out the classy/unsafe plexi glass that is on the front door to the Scwinn 'Suite'.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jesi C
Kansas City, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

The Secret Vine was a fair place to stay for our first-time-ever trip to Hermann. The room we stayed in did not have an outlet in the bathroom which made drying/curling hair a real challenge. The one closest to the bathroom was on a baseboard and nowhere near a mirror. The grounds were obviously at one time very beautiful but, during our stay, were needing attention with downed trees and the like. The best part, however, was the great father-son duo who served us a nice breakfast each morning in our friend's suite (they were in the Cottage). I recommend if you stay at this B&B, you stay in the Cottage. It has everything new, including large table and chairs for eating.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Kansas City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I were hoping for so much more from our B&B experience in Hermann. While the cost is low, it's not worth what you lose out on. The bed is terribly uncomfortable and squeeks; the kitchen pans were dirty; the carpet damp/humid; the customer service was unacceptable: the manager awoke us at 8a to get payment! Ugh. We were so disappointed. Some of the other places associated here with "A Secret Vine" look great/have great reviews; I wish I could say the same of the GT Suite experience.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Columbia, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed in the bay suite in December and just returned from our second stay here. The cost is unbeatable in Hermann for what you get. I've researched all the B&B's and I choose this place everytime because of the value. Private breakfast every morning at 9:30, and it's in the downtown area so most attractions are within walking distance. They added a little sitting area under the pine tree, perfect for a midnight picnic. I've read comments about it the suites needing to be updated. The house was built in the 1800's so don't ruin the nostalgia with moden decorations, etc. The German School is right across the street so the clock chimes on the hour however we didn't hear it this time - it must be broken. The place is perfect for me and my husband and we will for sure be back.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Laura P
Topeka, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2013

My Best Friend and I stayed in The Bay Suite. It was clean, WiFi, frig with coffee, comfy bed, and centrally located!
They delivered breakfast to our room without us having to even check-in with them.
I would recommend staying there!

Room Tip: I'm not familiar with other rooms that are available but the Bay Suite was on the end of the bui...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Alyce60747
Forest Park, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

We recently stayed a night in the Garden Cottage and really liked the overall concept. The cottage is very private and almost quiet. There is a large spacious room with a big table under a window overlooking the garden courtyard, and a small flat screen TV. The king bed is very comfortable. The jacuzzi tub is fine, a good size even for two. We liked the private breakfast concept. It was nice to be in a space that is really like a spacious studio apartment, and it even includes a small frig and microwave along with the coffeemaker. It's very clean and nicely furnished.

The price for this room is fairly high, but justified considering the size and the amenities. I am going to nitpick though because of the premium price. The sheets were rough and cheap - please, get some high quality, all cotton sheets. Along the same lines, the breakfast also seemed cheap and kind of prefab, and not enough protein. The provided coffee was terrible, and there was only powdered cream. The wifi seemed to be inadequate for more than one device at a time.

Noise factors overall were not bad at least early in the season. Some traffic noise from the alley right outside the room. There is a church bell much too close by that chimes every hour - can't they shut that thing off at night??

I would go back here again, but I would bring my own coffee and cream!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hermann
Harbor Haus Inn & Suites
Schiller Guest Suites
Schiller Guest Suites
#19 of 50 in Hermann
Cobbler Room & Cottage B&B and Massage

Been to A Secret Vine Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!