“Garden Cottage was Great!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hermann
A Secret Vine Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #41 of 50 Hermann B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 December 2013

We spent 2 nights in the Garden Cottage for our 25th anniversary. It is in a great location, close to downtown. It was December and rained the whole time, but we were still able to walk almost everywhere we wanted to go. The 2 entrances made it easy to unload/load the car. The room was clean, cozy, and warm - nice after walking around town in the cold rain. The Jacuzzi tub was nice for relaxing while watching tv. The 2 shower heads in the shower were great! Enjoyed the fresh baked cookies the first night. Breakfast was served fresh and hot. The second morning they served breakfast early, since we had to leave for home to renew our wedding vows. We enjoyed watching the squirrels outside the window while we ate. I'm sure the garden is beautiful in the summer. The Old German School/Museum has bells that chime every hour, which woke us several times - I'm a little sleeper. We will definitely be staying there again!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 136jas
There are newer reviews for A Secret Vine Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 29 November 2013

This place is in a great location, close to downtown and close to the big city of St. Louis (40 miles approx.).

It is the little things that go a long way. You check in without any hassle. There are cookies on the table. There was a frig, microwave and coffee machine. The décor is elegant and simple. The 4 poster was beautiful. The bathroom was a nice too.

The breakfast was delivered warm and delicious. It is served at 930 but it would have been nice to get it earlier so as to get on the road sooner.

Room Tip: The Bay Suite was very spacious with its bay window.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2013

We stayed in The Bay Suite at A Secret Vine Bed & Breakfast for 2 nights during the Holiday Fare Wine trail. We have been to Hermann many times and try to stay at different places when possible. I will admit I do NOT like to pay a lot for lodging but I have pretty high expectations (not always a good combo I know!) We were very pleased with the Bay Suite. It was clean, the bed was very comfortable, all the amenities you needed were available. The breakfast was delivered to our room at 9:30 each morning and was very yummy, hot and way better than I anticipated givent he value of our room.

The location of the B&B was perfect - right across from the bookstore (which made my husband very happy). The clock bell did chime every hour - but my husband liked it and I was able to ignore it most of the time.

I would totally stay at A Secret Vine again. It was a MAJOR value in a town where accommodations are really going up in price.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AppleDawn
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Terrible does not even start to describe our experience. The rate was cheap for a reason. We took a girls trip to visit the wineries of Hermann and rented both the Schwinn and GT suites. We knew they would be more 'value' type of places but we were not expecting the constant smell of sewage, stains on the carpets, black mold in the bedrooms, out of date EVERYTHING, comforters that were 20+ years old, stained old towels, stained sheets, stained couches and completely unacceptable kitchen areas. To top it off... what place in a 'Winery town' does not keep a wine bottle opener in the 'suite'. When we called to express our concerns of the smell and black mold in particular (One of our friends was pregnant and very concerned)...The owners response was "Its too late to get a refund, as it was 4pm in the afternoon." I do not recommend this place to anyone; gross is an understatement. Though it was a great location. But everywhere in this small town is a great location. Check out the classy/unsafe plexi glass that is on the front door to the Scwinn 'Suite'.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jesi C
Reviewed 29 August 2013

The Secret Vine was a fair place to stay for our first-time-ever trip to Hermann. The room we stayed in did not have an outlet in the bathroom which made drying/curling hair a real challenge. The one closest to the bathroom was on a baseboard and nowhere near a mirror. The grounds were obviously at one time very beautiful but, during our stay, were needing attention with downed trees and the like. The best part, however, was the great father-son duo who served us a nice breakfast each morning in our friend's suite (they were in the Cottage). I recommend if you stay at this B&B, you stay in the Cottage. It has everything new, including large table and chairs for eating.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2013

My husband and I were hoping for so much more from our B&B experience in Hermann. While the cost is low, it's not worth what you lose out on. The bed is terribly uncomfortable and squeeks; the kitchen pans were dirty; the carpet damp/humid; the customer service was unacceptable: the manager awoke us at 8a to get payment! Ugh. We were so disappointed. Some of the other places associated here with "A Secret Vine" look great/have great reviews; I wish I could say the same of the GT Suite experience.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed in the bay suite in December and just returned from our second stay here. The cost is unbeatable in Hermann for what you get. I've researched all the B&B's and I choose this place everytime because of the value. Private breakfast every morning at 9:30, and it's in the downtown area so most attractions are within walking distance. They added a little sitting area under the pine tree, perfect for a midnight picnic. I've read comments about it the suites needing to be updated. The house was built in the 1800's so don't ruin the nostalgia with moden decorations, etc. The German School is right across the street so the clock chimes on the hour however we didn't hear it this time - it must be broken. The place is perfect for me and my husband and we will for sure be back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple