“These people are professionals?”

The Old English Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hollister B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“These people are professionals?”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

My experience started when I checked in and then went to the attached restaurant to get something to eat. The restaurant appeared to be very nice and recently updated.
I ordered a Reuben sandwich, what I received was a Ham sandwich that had sourkrout on it.
There are some basic issues here. What cook does not know what comprises a Reuben?!!!
Upon returning to my room I had some time to take a look around. I found a broken shower curtain rod, a poorly cleaned bathroom and lastly the TV remote did not work. A call to the front desk was not answered and when I went down to the front desk I was witness to what appeared to be one of the owners having a very unprofessional conversation with the desk clerk. Not wanting to get in the middle of this, I opted to return to my room and suck it up and be wiser for the experience.
This property is owned and operated by Janet Daily ( of author fame ). This is a great location with wonderfull ambiance, but they have some serious operational issues and I for one will not be going back.

Room Tip: Find a different Motel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Bill B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2013

I stayed at this B&B in April, 2013. They were going through a renovation and there was a strong smell of paint and turpentine in the air - the hotel did not inform me about this beforehand. The front desk has only a single clerk who oftentimes is not there - so one has to wait for a while before the person shows up. I was shown to my room but was given the wrong key and had to go back again to the front desk to get the correct key.
The rooms are very small and the door to the bathroom does not open all the way - in fact it bumps against the commode so one has to squeeze through the doorway. The strangest part was there was no breakfast that was being offered - just some tepid coffee that was served out of thermos jugs - not exactly what a B&B is supposed to be.
The outside building looks very charming and there is plenty of street parking around - no real parking lot. The hotel is adjacent to a pub / bar that now belongs to the same owner and it is minutes away from downtown Branson. Unless they change their policy and begin to serve breakfast, I would give this hotel a pass as there are many other properties in the area that are superior to this one.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Branson, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013

Ye Olde English Inn is well maintained, clean comfortable and a step back in time. Staff was very attentive to our needs. Restaurant food and service were outstanding. We had both breakfast and dinner on the property. Hotel is only minutes from the Branson Landing and downtown Branson. Perfect to experience Branson attractions without the traffic hassle. We will be back soon.

Room Tip: The Tower Room is a great value. Quiet, Large suite with seperate bedroom. Family of four was very...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Castle Pines, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I have to admit up front to being biased in my review. The English Inn was built and owned by my grandfather, William Wood Johnson, and his father, William Howard Johnson, was one of the first mayors of Hollister. So the property holds a special place in my heart. But I will say that the owner, author Janet Dailey, has done a remarkable restoration on the place which, over time had fallen into a sad state. We reserved the hotel for a family reunion in July 2012. Every room was booked by us and they served a dinner for 100 people in their restaurant - simply an amazing feat. The rooms, while small, are tastefully decorated. I loved the robe so much I bought one as did many of my relatives. The larger suites are worth the extra money if you plan to spend any time in the room. They had coffee and tea service set up in the foyer area upstairs and had it available 24 x 7 for us. Parking wasn't an issue. The history of the place has been kept. The stone stair way and fireplace are the original ones. The pictures of fish on the wall in the restaurant are actually painted plaster casts that my uncle, James C. Johnson, made. The hotel is warm and comfortable, the staff incredibly friendly and helpful. It's very close to Branson Landing so getting there is a breeze. It does not have a pool or fitness center and doesn't take pets. The price is extremely reasonable. I would highly recommend this for a weekend getaway or special occasion and I DO plan to go back. I am going to have to work on them to accept small dogs.

Room Tip: Get a larger room if you plan to spend time in the room. Not that much more.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Jeanne M
Winneconne, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

We spent part of our Christmas holiday in Hollister at Ye Olde English Inn. It was very pleasant to stay in a hotel that wasn't a national chain. It was quaint,interesting and unique. The Inn has an interesting history stretching back over a hundred years.The staff was friendly,helpful and efficient. The restaurant was first class and I loved the big open stone staircase. We would definitely recommend it to friends or family.

Room Tip: I would recommend the suites.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2013

Wife and I were there In November to celebrate her birthday, and she loved the place before we ever walked in. She loves the old English look, but I did not tell her where we were staying. As we drove by, she pointed out how pretty it was, and she was so happy when I stopped the door. (No, we're not hayseeds. At no time did we think we were in England, but the interior/exterior look great, and she loved that it was unique). Great customer service. Since we were there for only one night on a Tuesday, the manager took us around to different rooms for a possible upgrade to a suite. Both of the available suite rooms were unique and great, and we upgraded. Just outside our room was a self-service tea/coffee/hot chocolate area. The bar adjoining the lobby had a live piano player, and the next morning's breakfast in the attached restaurant was good. However, it was not complimentary as we had seen in other reviews. Little coffee shop, Vintage Paris, is maybe a 3 minute walk down Downing, and made great lattes.

Room Tip: We upgraded to the suite above the front desk. If a slow night, ask if they can show you optional r...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AandG1
Tipton, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2012 via mobile

Completely elegantly restored, this charming 100 year old hotel located on historic Downing Street, is like the eye in the middle of a hurricane surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the hurried, confusing and busy Branson.
Beautiful rooms, attention to detail and friendly service await your visit to this conveniently located hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Ray S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollister
Savannah House Hotel
Westgate Branson Lakes Resort
The Keeter Center at College of the Ozarks - Lodging
Marriott's Willow Ridge Lodge
BEST WESTERN Plus Landing View Inn & Suites

Been to The Old English Inn? Share your experiences!