“I loved this place!”

Ye Olde English Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hollister B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 September 2013

I needed a place to stay for one night before catching a plane back to Chicago and was a little turned off by most of the places I saw in Branson. Just not my cup of tea. I came across the Olde English Inn on TripAdvisor and was immediately swept away by the wonderful history of the building. Every inch has been lovingly restored and beautifully decorated. The author, Janet Dailey, is a native of Hollister and is one of the co-owners of the hotel. I was told that she personally oversaw each detail of the redecorating. Be sure to notice Thunder's antlers mounted over the fireplace...and the beauty is that Thunder is alive and well! The room I had was perfect for one person...exactly the size it would have been around the turn of the century. The bed was so comfy, I could have easily missed my flight! The little touches, the soaps and lotions, are custom made. Each room has a wonderful spa robe to use. I just loved the whole place. There isn't an elevator, just a gorgeous grand staircase, but that could make it difficult for someone with mobility problems. I had heard from the desk clerks about the wonderful masquerade wedding as another reviewer mentioned. I think they were as excited about it as the wedding party! The only thing I would like to see the hotel do is to add a couple of taxi cab company numbers to their in-room phone listing or offer to call a cab for me. It was imperative that I be able to get to the airport the next morning and they were not able to supply me with any numbers. The bartender in the pub did and I got good service from ABC Cab the next morning. That was the ONLY issue I had with my stay. I'm really looking forward to going back and having more time to delve into the history of the area. I thought the Inn was just great!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 September 2013

I just had a destination, masquerade ball wedding for my step-son at this hotel. We booked all of the 21 rooms for 2 days, and had everything from the rehearsal dinner to the reception on the property. When I first started planning it was a little scary because it was difficult to communicate with the property manager at that time. Fortunately, she brought in an excellent event planning company (Branson Party Rentals) before she left. Her replacement was well organized, but one of the first times we visited her, the kitchen staff had walked out and she was in the kitchen. Turns out, all of this was a good thing because now, the hotel is well run, the food in the restaurant is excellent, and the pub and courtyard are loads of fun. The rooms are small but in great shape for the age. The chef is way better than you would expect to find in Hollister, Missouri and the staff could not be more accomodating. Highly recommended.

2  Thank sscheid
Reviewed 30 August 2013

We thought this would be a charming place for an overnight stay. Could not be more disappointed. Arrived after 6 and were directed to the pub for dinner. After 10 minutes of not being acknowledged by anyone we left and then were chased down by a server. We passed. The bed was comfortable but the room smelled. The odor was like old rancid cooking oil. Considered leaving at 2 am but decided to stick it out. When turning in the keys there was no inquiry as to how our stay was - and I just wanted OUT. While I think it is great to preserve historic buildings there is an expectation of competent management.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank jlh15
Reviewed 10 August 2013

My daughter worked at Kamp Kanakut just up the road and I drove to pick her up the following morning. I wanted to avoid Branson and it's main drag (Route 76) at any cost. The property is dated, garishly decorated, but acceptable. $92 for a single night, I have no idea how this compares to Branson, but my full breakfast in their restaurant was about $7 - no complaints there. A train (tracks are 30 yards across the street) in the early evening worried me that there would be more, but either there weren't any or I was just too tired after my long drive from Houston. Don't expect extras in this tourist area, but basic service at a reasonable price goes down fine.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

We stopped in at the Black Horse Pub on Sunday, 8/4/2013 after spending an inordinate amount of time trying to get through traffic in Branson.

We had a wonderful time there, food was excellent and the atmosphere was just what we were looking for. The staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Would definitely stop back there again.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the Inn, however in the future would love to. Just had a very nice dinner in the...
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We had a wonderful visit to Hollister! We picked Ye Olde English Inn because we wanted to avoid the rush of Branson and it worked perfectly! We were able to get around the main street traffic and get to our destinations easier, however, main street was very close should we have wanted to go there. The staff was great and the hotel was clean. We really enjoyed ourselves!

Room Tip: If you like ghosts choose room 309 or 307, we had some interesting experiences with our lights and f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 July 2013

The next time you are in or near Hollister MO, you must stay at this very charming inn! My sister, niece, and I recently stayed here for three nights and loved it! We did our research in advance and realized that many rooms are small, so we opted for three rooms next to each other (although there are several larger suites available). Our rooms were very clean and comfy, each with a nice updated bathroom which included a tub/shower. The inn has a dining room and pub attached. It is also about a five minute drive to downtown Branson. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We will definitely stay here in the future and we hope to meet the owner someday, author Janet Dailey, to thank her for restoring this wonderful treasure!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hollister
La Quinta Inn & Suites Branson-Hollister
Hotel Grand Victorian
Hotel Grand Victorian
#22 of 133 in Branson
Chateau on the Lake Resort & Spa

Been to Ye Olde English Inn? Share your experiences!