“Nice restaurant, great service, large portions” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
DC
“Nice restaurant, great service, large portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

We thought the food was pretty good to excellent. Waitress was very friendly and service was very good. My friend got the foie gras appetizer and absolutely loved it -- one of her favorite meals of the trip. It was a very generous plate as well. I was less happy with my version of trout amandine - I thought it was overcooked and the prep wasn't to my taste. Tarte tatin dessert with vanilla ice cream was quite good. So I would recommend the place overall although I wasn't crazy about the one dish. Portions were quite generous. I thought the appetizer and dessert were both about 3 times the size I would be given in the states -- contrary to the stereotype. They also offered that we could come to their breakfast buffet for the same price that our hotel was charging. We would have taken them up on it, but preferred to spend even less by grabbing morning pastries at the place across the street.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank travelerBobDc

Dunwoody, GA
“A disappointment - the only bad meal in two weeks in Provence”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2013

Our hotel recommended La Bonne Auberge as one of only three restaurants open that evening. It was the off season. We chose this one because it was conveniently close. The service was indifferent, and my meal unacceptable. My wife had ordered steak, medium. It arrived bright red, so she asked for it to be cooked a bit more. When it was returned, it was fine. My meal was not. The appetizer, crust baked buffalo mozzarella was warm and crunchy on the outside, but after digging in to the cente, the cheese was tough, and ice cold. My main dish, a thick white fish filet was only warm on the outside, and inside was, just like the cheese, tough, stringy, and ice cold. When mthe server came nearby I told her that the Fisk, and the cheese looked, felt, and tasted like they had been frozen and warmed in a microwave. She shrugged and walked away. I reported our experience to the concierge at our hotel, the immediately removed the menu pages from their recommended restaurant book.

• Visited October 2013