“Could do so much with this restaurant.”
Review of Himalaya

Himalaya
Ranked #51 of 118 Restaurants in Lisburn
Price range: US$7 - US$17
Cuisines: Bangladeshi
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Description: This Restaurant Serve Chicken ,lamb ,vegetables And King Prawns Bangladeshi,indian,pakistani,nepalese And European Style Food.we Severe From Fresh Ingredient Every Day.monday-sunday.award Winning Restaurant One Of The Old Restaurant.
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The place itself is very unimpressive , not very warm , totally lacking in atmosphere - lino on the floor. The manager/ owner was pleasant and helpful - the food SUPERB!! Also can bring your own wine but in its present state not conducive to spend time in - apart from the DELICIOUS SUPERB INDIAN FOOD.. Please spend a bit of money on the decor and you will be inundated with business.

2  Thank knowlesfam6

Reviewed 3 May 2014

Came here recently on a Grabone deal and will not return. We asked for tap water with our meal and were told indignantly by the proprietor that they do not serve tap water and would have to buy bottled water. He then went on for ages to us in front of other customers about his water rates and implied that we should be prepared to pay for water as we had come on a Grabone deal and how else was he going to make a profit!!! We found him very rude and we felt very uncomfortable for the rest of our evening. The food could have been Michelin star standard but the fact is our meal was still going to be ruined by unbelievably poor customer service. If he needs to make money out of his customers, then he should start charging a corkage fee for each bottle of wine brought in. We would have happily paid £3 for this and we added up that he would have got about £20 from the customers who were there that evening drinking their own wine. Stop the ridiculous policy of not serving tap water - it's an insult.

2  Thank FoodieBabe33
Dulal T, Chef at Himalaya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Welcome to the Himalayas,I very am sorry to learn our valued customer did not like the service last time that we offer bring your own bottle.we expect any body come here get good food and service.Customer always right even there wrong but we try to keep our customer happy that is our priority.99.99% people are happy ,we are running the show nearly over 20 yrs.If you bring your own bottle we will not charge you that is our promise Beer ,wine, water and juice,but we will offer soft drinks to buy from us we need to make money to pay the bills.Thanks

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My family are all very fond of indian food and regularly eat out on a weekend. We have tried all the similar restaurants in lisburn and indeed travelled to belfast on many occasions. Whilst the restaurant is not large in size the food is certainly the best we have eaten. I cannot understand the poor reviews as the food and staff are always excellent when we arrive. I do however agree that the restaurant can be a bit cold when its empty (usually mid week) but soon warms up when the heaters are put on. The owner and staff always listen to any comments we may make and are very helpful to make our eating experience a pleasant one. Its bring your own drinks so the cost is always kept to a minimum.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

This thankfully is an uncommon experience - they refuse to let you have a glass of tap water. This must be a fairly recent change as my friend has eaten in this restaurant many times and had always been given tap water. We were very embarrassed and made to feel very uncomfortable the rest of our time when the manager loudly argued with us for saying we expected to be allowed tap water. So much for customer service! With the whole restaurant listening in, he ranted and raved about it loudly for about 5 minutes. He kept exclaiming about how was he expected to make a profit! We stayed for our meal because we had already paid for the meals through GrabOne, otherwise we would have left right away. The manager much later came over and put a small bottle of water on our table (at no cost) but we were thirsty and would have needed 5 or 6 of them, so had to wait to quench our thirsts on return home.

The real problem is that there is no charge for BYO so the manager feels he has to charge for water.
The 3 women at a nearby table each had a bottle of wine and drank them with no charge (and there was no sign of water at their table) whilst I could only get a glass of water if I paid for it by the small bottle. I find this policy ridiculous and I make a point to never return to any restaurant that won’t let me have water from the tap. The sensible solution would be for them to charge a corkage fee per bottle of wine or beer and to freely give customers water like any good restaurant does. In conclusion, the food is very good quality but don’t eat here if you don’t like paying for your water.

Dulal T, Chef at Himalaya, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

We used to have licensed not any more .We offer bring your own bottle either soft drink or alcohol ,Grabe one offer also mentioned same We well come customer ,we expect customer come they enjoy our food customer happy we are happy we make few pounds.I have ask the girl serve food and drinks she offer customer soft drink ,she said she don't understand what they said ,so waiter went there to take there order they don't want to buy soft drink they have order food .Restaurant offer them free bottle of water.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I will get the 'not so good' bits out of the way first of all:

My madras wasn't hot at all. It should have 3/4 chillies in the dish. I would be surprised if this had anything more than half or a fully chilli in it. Very strange indeed !
The pilau rice wasn't bad taste-wise, but it had a few large raw onions in amongst it. That put me right off and made me poke around the dish - not pleasant, and again very strange !
The upstairs part of the restaurant could do with a good clean and revamp: it is very shabby and I spotted a couple of cobwebs when walking to and fro the bathroom.

Good points:
Service is decent, my tandorri chicken breast starter was very good indeed, the dips for the poppadoms were nice, the naans, too, were nice. They were a good size, also. The prices are very reasonable and the menu (which has got slated below due to its 'orange' colour) is now much improved and different in colour.

Would I go back? Perhaps for that delicious starter. If the Madras was nearly as hot the next time as it ought to be, then yes. It was still tasty enough, but it just didn't seem like a Madras ! I wish it all the best, and hopefully they can work on some improvements and I might well see them again one day. . .

Dulal T, Chef at Himalaya, responded to this reviewResponded 5 May 2014

Welcome to the Himalaya ,Thanx for your contribution ,Customer is always right even they were wrong,we don't put chillies in madras every ones taste is different also cooking style is different too.we always cooked rice with onions our sauce base are onions too.