“Only two hotels in Vologda”
Review of Atrium

and 1 more site!
Atrium
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Vologda
Reviewed 11 July 2013

It's either here or the Nikolevsky and I don't think there is much between them. The atrium looks the part from the outside but there is no sign of competent management around. The rooms are big enough, clean enough. The TV looks like its on rental from Rediffusion.

Breakfast could warrant a chapter in my Worst Breakfasts in Russia book. The usual left over fare from the night before with a few cornflakes thrown in. Dishes run out quickly and are not replenished. Why do Russian hotels still have that crazy token system?

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 June 2013

We had mixed feelings before coming to the hotel. None of our relatives in the town knew of the hotel and the administrator confused the details of the internet booking, thinking that my Russian wife was in fact booking a single room for me. In fact the hotel is a very good standard, and the staff are welcoming and attentive. Breakfast is buffet style and includes cold meat, cheeses, soup, and a selection of hot dishes. We have a good sized room and the bed is huge and it is comfortable. We have tea bags and sugar provided in the room, but oddly neither a kettle or tea spoons are provided. However, I have brought my own travel kettle, so we don't lack the ability to make the use of the tea bags. No AC in the room, but they gave us a good fan when we asked.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2013

I can recommend the hotel for sure. Nice location, near the center, a decent supermarket at the walking distance. The rooms are spacious with comfortable bed, fridge, TV and good bathroom. Good breakfast. The service was alright either. All in all very good hotel although quite expensive.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 7 January 2013

It was comfortable enough. This was our first trip to Russia, so wasn't sure what to expect. There weren't the amenities that I usually see in a three star rated hotel. No mini fridge, no coffee pot, no ironing board. To iron clothes you must ask the housekeeper for an iron, the ironing board is ever-present in the hallway - very weird. To get hot water for tea in your room, you must again ask the housekeeper (all this is difficult if you speak no Russian) and she brings you what I assume is the electric hot water pot the housekeepers use. They want it back within an hour and will override the 'do not disturb' sign to get it.

However, on the plus side, everyone was polite. Only one receptionist appeared to speak English. The rest of the time, we needed to get our interpreter (my husband had one for his business interactions) to relay messages for us. Our favorite waitress in the restaurant was very friendly and always had a big smile for us. We did most of our ordering by pointing at what we wanted on the menu (which had English translations and some pictures). She found this amusing, as we did, and we laughed at our common lack of communication skills. The others were much more deadpan but also managed to figure out what we wanted.

The location is great. There is a supermarket right across the street with ATMs. There are several shops and many sights to see within easy walking. The center of the city and the Volgda Kremlin are also an easy walk. It is close to the train station.

I found the building itself bland but I am not a big fan of 'modern' blockish, detail-sparse architecture. The bed and chair in our room (identical to the photos) looked hard and uninviting, but they were surprisingly comfortable.

This doesn't sound like a very positive review, but overall we were happy with our choice.

Room Tip: Our interpreters room was overlooking the back of the building and a side street lined with trees. T...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 November 2012

The building is quite modern and is kept in good condition. It looks promising both from outside and from inside. The problem is with the management.

First, you've got to pay upfront for the whole of your stay. This is highly unusual for hotels this expensive in Russia. The next thing you notice - there's no minibar in your room. There's a mini-fridge, but it's empty and powered off. And the bar downstairs isn't 24/7 - it closes around 1 am! Needless to say, if you arrive at night (which is usually the case since most people arrive by trains), your chances of getting any food at all are non-existent.

The rooms are spacious and are kept clean. However, the bed sheets are of surprisingly low quality. Looks like the management hasn't read the book that explains that pricier sheets last many times longer.

The pillows are huge and extremely uncomfortable. I asked for an orthopedic one (got laughter), then for a smaller one (got "all pillows are of standard size").

There's no setting for air conditioning. It's always on and the only way to make it less hot is by opening a window. Which isn't always a solution because of the local weather.

Then there's no robe and no slippers! For a hotel this expensive this is extremely uncommon. I asked the maid - she said "never had those".

The breakfast is exceptionally appalling. Most of the time the tables aren't cleaned after those who've eaten before you. No one watches the counter as well. The buffet is out of omelet and sausages (there's no such thing as bacon at all!) most of the rime, the cakes are eaten in the first hour of operation. I called for and spoke with the 'restaurant director'. All she said was "it's ten to ten am, the breakfast is nearly over, you should've come earlier". The same happened the next day when I was one of the first people in the room for breakfast.

There's absolutely no way to get food between 10am and noon. I asked the barman for an omelet and he said he couldn't make one for me because it's not on the menu, and he wouldn't know how to "pass the eggs through the cash register".

My suggestion: avoid this hellhole at all costs, go to Nikolaevsky hotel. It doesn't look as good from the outside but it's got excellent service, the attitudes are great all around and you'll enjoy every minute of it. Tried it twice myself (see my review).

Room Tip: There are three types of rooms: facing a main street, facing a side-street, and facing the yard. The...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank bogorad
Reviewed 25 July 2012

The hotel is in a very good location, close to the many different tourist sights. I got the hotel to reserve me a taxi for when I arrived at the Vokzal, but the lady at reception that day did not speak any English. I was able to book it in Russian through her. The breakfast is of average quality at the hotel, but was included in the room rate. Other people I dealt with at reception spoke basic English, which was very helpful. The hotel has no information about any tours of the city, although they give you a map and on the map it gives details of a tourist information centre. The room was a reasonable size, but there was no air conditioning, only a fan provided. The hotel made me pay for 2 nights across the weekend and then come back on Monday to pay for an extra day. I don't know why they didn't charge me the full amount for my stay at the one time. There is a grocery store diagonally across from the hotel, that stocks a wide range of products. The hotel is quite expensive for the city.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank adz10
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I stayed for only one night on a business trip. The hotel is new and OK, though quite expensive for a provincial city (about 90 EUR single per night), reception was personalized and helpful, rooms clean, facilities working.
Buffet breakfast has a reasonable choice, could be a bit better.
Beware that breakfast starts at 07:30 in the weekdays and 08:30 in the weekends (that's too late for me).

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business