“lovely, but some issues”
Review of Haramara Retreat

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sayulita
Haramara Retreat
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Sayulita
San Diego, California
“lovely, but some issues”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

There is a lot to rave about. The food is amazing. The pool is perfection. Hugo, Rosa, and the chef (I forgot his name!) are all incredibly kind and lovely people. The massage area, towards the bottom of the property, is simple and relaxing, with perfect sea breezes. The yoga shalas are gorgeous (though I did not take a class, my friend said her instructor was phenomenal). The water pressure in the bungalows is even worth mentioning - it's very strong and you can control the the temperature -- simple things that really help make the stay enjoyable.

However, there are a few things that are imperfect and also worth mentioning. I was there in June and it was very hot. The mosquito netting they have is lovely (not your ordinary mosquito netting). However, it's very thick and does not allow for much of a breeze to get through. I slept horribly there -- under the net it was ridiculously hot. Taking the net off meant getting eaten alive by mosquitoes (which I ended up doing, even though I used bug spray). My bungalow (Agate) did not seem to get a good breeze. The palm roof hangs very low and there are many trees, presumably blocking the breeze. I explained how poorly I slept (to Lulu) and asked if I could be moved to a cabana with more of a breeze but was told that would not be possible. (Mind you, this was low season. There were 3 guests in the entire place - one of whom was my friend, and her cabana got a much better breeze than mine! And I was in the highest tier of cabana, my friend was in a middle tier cabana.)

Also -- the cabanas I saw had a light brown mesh material from the floor up about 2 or 3 feet. I imagine it's for safety, but am not sure. But the mesh made it impossible to really see the jungle or the ocean from either the bed or the hammock! Laying in the hammock, which seemed to have been thrown in as an after-thought, you look right into the mesh. And you can't really sway in the hammock because there's a wood bench that was built into the cabana that's in the way. One of my main goals during my stay was to lay in the hammock, read, and nap. I was pretty disappointed. The combo of the mesh and the low-hanging palm roof make the view much smaller, almost creating a window view. (I feel so petty writing this, but it's my honest feedback.)

Lastly - while the pool was amazing, the pool chairs aren't very comfortable. They are lovely but there's a big gap where your backside hits a bar. Sometimes I laid an extra towel down which helped.

I still can't justify calling it average -- it's better than average. But there are some imperfections than would probably keep me from going back. (If it wasn't so expensive I wouldn't have such high expectations.) Instead I will continue to search...

Tip: Cross the rocks on the beach and go left - next door is Playa Escondida Hotel. They have a full bar, food, and padded beach chairs. Because it was low season we were welcomed to use their comfy chairs (and we ordered pina coladas...) They also have an area where there are fewer rocks making for safe(r) swimming.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

12 Thank Sandra S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 20 June 2014

beautiful location, quiet, excellent staff and accommodations. food is delicious. Easily the best place to stay in Sayulita. I highly recommend doing yoga there as well as surfing with the Wild Mex crew.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I have been to Haramara many times over the years and always enjoy it. The yoga depends on the teacher--I go with people I have worked wit for years. This time I went on my own just for a relaxing vacation. There is now a beautiful pool and bar area fir smoothies, coffee and drinks. Because it was so hot, I spent a lot if time there-- it was lovely. Haramara is sophisticated and simple at the same time. The staff is unfailingly kind and helpful. There is no electricity in the casitas, which suits me perfectly. Phones and computers can be charged in the dining area. But my suggestion is to leave all that behind--one of the great gifts of Haramara is the peace that comes from the absence of the aural and mental distractions of electronics. The only sound you hear is the sea . . .

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank chris d
canada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

haramara retreat is one of the most wonderful, blissful places I have ever been. the location is centered in a beautiful jungle on a cliffside overlooking the ocean, 10 minutes from sayulita but a world away. the cabinas are separate/open air/ very Balinese style (sliding doors, open air showers) and unobtrusive in the jungle setting. we fell asleep listening to the ocean every night and listening to the birds every morning...admittedly the first night was a little weird with no real doors or locks, but we relaxed very quickly. we were on the "romantic retreat" and were offered a romantic dinner overlooking the ocean with our own private chefs and wait staff. the whole staff is incredible, unassuming but completely welcoming, accommodating and anticipatory. the food is local, organic, and vegetarian (except for fish) and wonderfully creative and delicious. the massage therapists were true healers using physical and energetic modalities to gently (or deep) work into your bodies. we weren't there on a yoga retreat, but were able to practice in the large/open air/beautiful studios. please note there is no wifi anywhere on the grounds, and no electricity in the cabinas (they supply oil lamps that are bright enough to read by and light the cabina). we thought it was wonderful to be completely disconnected but I know some ppl had difficulties with it.
I want to send many thanks to all of the staff - it was truly a magical stay.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank sunshinesask
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Haramara Retreat is on a beautiful cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The grounds are peaceful, calm and relaxing. An infinity pool looks out over the ocean, small casitas are discretely hidden within the trees, the food is unbelievable delicious and the staff is friendly and accommodating.
The retreat is an easy 15 min walk into Sayulita, which is an adorable small town right on the beach. Sayulita offers good shopping and cute restaurants.
My only complaints about Haramara are that it has no Wi-Fi, which unfortunately, in this day and age, is difficult for many of us. Additionally, the casitas are open-air and so noise from other people often kept me awake long after 10 PM. Lastly, I wish they offered even a small fitness center on the grounds.
Otherwise, though, the casitas are comfortable and the entire week was relaxing and refreshing (except for the fact that I could have slept better without the noise).

Room Tip: I think the further away from the bar and pool area you are, the less likely you will deal with exce...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ljenks99
California
Reviewed 17 April 2014

This is an update. My first review was for a romantic getaway with my husband. This was after booking the property for a retreat. Um, perfection. From the booking, to transportation, the delicious food that accommodated all types of food restrictions and tastes, to the beautifully caring staff, the oooohhh, ahhhh cabanas, to the new heavenly infiniti pool over looking the ocean, to the complete bliss- our retreat of 19 people was perfection. I've already booked again for next year. They are so stuck with us!

Room Tip: Bring a headlamp for dark, glorious evening walks home to your cabana.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank TonyanDonald
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Everything about Haramara is wonderful. The food, the views, the people, the layout, and the staff. I'm a 32 year old female who travelled with a female friend. We had such an amazing time and were even able to walk 20 mins into a local surfer town called Sayulita to eat and shop. We did not come with a group but built out own package (note that the prices are for varied occupancies... The website made costs seem more expensive - so we almost didn't go). Included in our package was credits to use towards anything (we got a lot of value with these), 2 yoga classes, a massage (with very knowledgable rmt's), and two daily meals. Totally wonderful! Doing yoga at sunrise and sunset was touching and amazing, even if you don't regularly practice.
My only advice given our room was one of the furthest from the main area: please ask for rooms close to the front if you don't enjoy steep walks (we loved it) OR if you are afraid of wild animals. The further your room is in the jungle, the more noises you hear of birds and the local Mexican raccoons. We did have one night which was a little tough, but once we realized the 'loud' noises were from harmless creatures, all was good. I would also suggest to bring a bright flashlite as you definitely need it at night. Loved everything about Haramara. Two thumbs up.

• Stayed March 2014
3 Thank Neeta S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sayulita
Amor Boutique Hotel
#3 of 23 in Sayulita
Iberostar Playa Mita
Iberostar Playa Mita
#3 of 11 in Punta de Mita

Been to Haramara Retreat? Share your experiences!