“highly recommended”
Review of Casitas Tortugas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sayulita
Casitas Tortugas
Reviewed 8 January 2014

this review is a year late being posted, however must be posted. one of my daughters and a girlfriend stayed here in 2012 and being young and single Marcelo took them under his wing and kept an eye on them as well as did many of the locals.
one year ago my wife and I were staying at a very large time share resort in Puerto Vallarta. We wanted to meet Marcelo in person as he had become almost like family so we flew in a day early, However with it being the Easter holiday we could not find a single place to stay and Marcelo was completely full as well. So Marcelo offered his spare bedroom to us for the night. This is a testament to Marcelo's integrity and willingness to do what ever it takes to ensure his guest and friends have a pleasant visit. people come as guests, and if they let him, leave as lifelong friends. We enjoyed our one day stay with Marcelo more than the whole week at the large EXPENSIVE resort in Puerto Vallarta.
We highly recommend you experience Marcelo's Casitas Tortugas and the small town of Sayulita. You will not find a huge nightlife here, but a fun relaxing vacation.
Puerto Vallarta is just a short 3/4 to 1 hour cab ride. Although for a fun experience take the local bus and meet many of Mexico's friendly people

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mikelelaine
There are newer reviews for Casitas Tortugas

Reviewed 30 December 2013

We just returned from our second stay at Casitas Tortugas. The owner, Marcelo, lives on premises and is always available to answer questions or help out. We've stayed there twice with our toddler and appreciate that the place is very safe and secure, and the pond with the turtles and fish is a great distraction (plus Marcelo gave us food to feed them every afternoon). He has a variety of beach toys, chairs, umbrellas, boogie boards and surf boards available to borrow. The location is ideal--a really short walk to beach and town, but most of the casitas face away from the street so there is very little street noise. A great value and a wonderful place to spend your vacation!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Sally W
Reviewed 9 September 2013

My Teenage kids and I have visited Sayulita four times and love staying at Casita Tortugas. The casitas are simple yet beautiful, clean and comfortable. We love to sit outside by the turtle pond just watching the turtles and the iguanas in the trees overhead, playing cribbage and cards, or reading. The kitchens are set up perfectly for preparing meals at home (easy walk to get fresh tortillas and eggs in the mornings!) The town square and beach are just blocks away, so it is easy for everyone to come and go on our own schedules. Marcello is a delightful host - very welcoming and helpful in orienting you to Sayulita, and if you like to watch movies he has an amazing DVD collection to share. We couldn't imagine a better place to stay, and we will keep going back.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank lesliemarie55
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Just returned to the States after our Second Visit to Casitas Tortugas. My family of four absolutely loved our stay (again). If you're looking for a safe, clean, convenient stay in Sayulita you don't need to look any further. We stayed in the Jungle Penthouse both times and we couldn't have been happier. Marcelo treated us with care and respect, and we will definitely book with him when we return in the future.

Not sure what more you could ask for... great location, beautiful surroundings, warm friendly host.

Wish we could have stayed longer... Thanks Marcelo for making us feel at home yet again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Grant L
Reviewed 17 April 2013

My wife and I have visited Sayulita four times and each time we have stayed at this place. It is convenient for the town (being a minute away) and beaches (being only two or three minutes away). The rooms are comfortable studios, furnished nicely and clean. The gardens are superb with tables and chairs supplied plus a pond filled with fish and turtles. Iguanas roam the trees above. The owner/manager, Marcello, is a very friendly, approachable guy who does everything in his power to make your holiday the best. He is also a physio. Fresh drinking water is supplied from a central tap and containers provided to transport it to your room to fill up your larger water container. Plus Marcello provide a DVD player and attached monitor in every room with a central storage area for free loan DVDs. The penthouse is absolutely superb comprising many bedrooms and a massive fully fitted kitchen.

Room Tip: We preferred the ground floor as it opens out to the gardens.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank jumpingjohn
Reviewed 22 March 2013

I was so excited to book the Penthouse for my trip to Sayulita and just couldn't wait. When I arrived and pushed my bag up the precarious stairs the owner said that the neighbor had been burning and getting ash all over. His even demonstrated by wiping some off. Then he left. I proceeded to sweep the ash some of which was little flakes but really the whole place was coated with the dust. The main bed was covered and filthy as it was the closest direction to where the burning was and no way I was going to sleep there. The burning stopped that day but my four night stay was in a really really dirty enviroment. I couldn't walk around barefoot at all without my feet getting black and swept multiple times and dusted. All of every chair and tables were coated. The first morning I had trouble breathing from the dust. I guess what I am hacked about is when I mentioned the barefoot thing there was no offer to help clean. The next thing is it was infested with ants. You had the floors with regular small ants, mabe one per three inches-Not a huge deal. But the bathroom and kitchen sink area had a ton of these mico ants(if that is what they were) that moved really fast in little swarms-Barely can see them. The only thing I ate there was a muffin which a dare not have put on any surface as it would have been attacked. I saw that they were streaming up a post in the dining area-Thousands of them. My toiletries the first morning were infested with them(and one baby roach) and had to keep them the remaining time in the frig. My second morning there was a big half dead cockroach in front of the couch I had stepped on unknowing in the night. My nights were spent in the tiny one bedroom that was enclosed because it was the only place clean.
I had such images of hanging out there and really relaxing but just couldn't and didn't like being there-Felt sort of contained to the little room.The burning was probably random and perhaps the infestation a fluke. I have to take some blame for not being direct and more assertive asking to have the place cleaned since I deserved to be in a clean place. The casitas looked like a decent option.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank KimberKeith
MarceloMoreno, Owner at Casitas Tortugas, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2013

Kimberly!
I'm so sorry that you had a bad experience in the Jungle Penthouse, it's truly the first time ever that someone complains about it! It was terrible that those neighbors were burning wood and leafs those two days, I had cleaned everything really well the day before your arrival.
When I showed you to your place, I just saw a bit of ashes on the sitting area coffee table, I never thought it was as bad as you described here. I wish you communicated that to me and I would have sent a cleaning lady to take care of the ashes. I didn't know also about the ants, we live in a tropical place where lots of insects live around, it's unpredictable when some insects can invade the areas. When that happens I take care of that immediately. Even dough this is the first time something like that happens, I appreciate your comments because that will help me to be even more aware about everything.
Kimberly, I assure you that the next time it will be a completely different experience and the next time you come to Sayulita I offer you 4 free nights in the Penthouse or the one bedroom casitas.
Take care!
Marcelo

Reviewed 2 February 2013

There are lots of beautiful getaways in the world. And with the palm-lined sandy beach of Sayulita just two blocks away, Casitas Tortugas is unquestionably one of them – indoors and out.
The home and grounds are beautiful. The architecture is delightful – lots of organic curves, natural materials, artistic touches, with views of the city and the hills, plus well-stocked kitchens, spacious bathrooms, water purification, and everything works!
With a dozen iguanas constantly posing and showing off in the trees, the always humorous turtles, the tortuga de tierra (land turtle), who stole my wife’s heart (how can you cuddle a tortoise?), the Koi in the pond, the shaded porch-like back yard, the colorful birds that perch outside your balcony –- it is a nature lover’s paradise.
But what really sets this destination apart is its owner, Marcelo Moreno. Marcelo is one of the kindest men you’ll ever meet. I believe he would literally give people the shirt off his back. I mean, the place got its name because Marcelo takes in every abandoned turtle in town.
Your iPhone not networking with WiFi anywhere in town? “Here, use my laptop.”
You had difficulty sleeping on Friday night in the Jungle Penthouse? “You can have the 2.5 Bedroom Suite.” It was soundproof, much bigger, and he didn’t charge extra.
You show a little interest in houses; he drives you to the site of his new homesite and other desirable areas, then delivers you to the bus stop – no charge.
The perfect place with the perfect host. That’s what Casitas Tortugas was for us. I trust it will be for you as well. See www.casitastortugas.com

Room Tip: The Jungle Penthouse is a wonderful open air perch to see wildlife. With the half walls, you feel l...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank VoicesandPlaces
MarceloMoreno, Propietario at Casitas Tortugas, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

It was very touching to read such beautiful words about me and my place!
It will always be a pleasure to open Casitas Tortugas for you in future visits.
Thanks so much!