“Like being in the South Pacific”

The Inn at Manzanillo Bay
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Troncones
Saint Jacob, Illinois
“Like being in the South Pacific”
Reviewed 13 May 2012

While we stay in Zihuatanejo most of the time, we always try to have dinner at the Inn. It's like going from a Mexican town to a tropical Pacific island hideaway!! Michael and Winn are gracious hosts, and the food is always wonderful!! When the tike torches are lit, and some nice music is playing, life is perfect!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cmenoni1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This place was a splurge for us, after spending a week in Zihuatanejo with my family we were looking forward to a nice place with just the two of us. We arrived and got our room and had lunch and a few beers on the beach.

The food was pretty good, though overpriced compared to what else we had been getting at other places. The beers are in cans, not particularly cold and very expensive. The beer prices weren't on the menu, and when we asked they were 34 pesos, about 50% higher than any other place we had been in Mexico. I wouldn't complain if that was one icy cold glass of beer, but instead we were being served luke warm cans of overpriced cervesa. In contrast, a beach bar north of there was serving possibly the coldest bottle of beer I've ever had for 12 pesos. I don't mind the price, but if I pay more I expect things to be really good. And that pretty much sums up our experience at the Inn at Manzanillo bay.

We felt like we were nickel and dimed for every thing they could think of, and in return we got a mediocre experience. We were given the internet password, but there was no mention of a charge, till we settled our bill. Bland coffee was out in the mornings, but again, no mention of the charge until the bill came. I don't have a problem for paying for services, but I found this practice not mentioning the cost of an item to be deceitful.

The rooms were decent, though the beds were very hard an uncomfortable. There was also one of those spring loaded water saver things in the tiny bathroom sink. The upshot of this was that it was hard to use, and sprayed water everywhere. I respect the attempt to save water, but the irony was too much for me when I saw the rainwater style showerhead in the shower, and the fountain in the pool outside.

A small sign in our room said "No outside food or beverages, please enjoy our reasonably priced restaurant.". Uh...what? I can't bring my own water, beer, or whatever? And the restaurant is not reasonably priced. All I want is some $5 dollar fish tacos like you can get everywhere else on the beach, not your Asian fusion soy wasabi shrimp whatever. Just cheap fish tacos. Its okay though, we only ate there once plus Christmas dinner, we just took our business down the street. If they want to serve food like that it is certainly their right to do so, but I’m not going to eat it.

The surfing is mediocre, so beware if you are coming for that. I've no doubt that the break can be good, but it is a fast left that peaks over a shallow rocky reef, so I wouldn't go for it unless you are confident in those conditions. We understand from the locals that when it is a little bigger it also has a second break inside the bay that is a little more forgiving, but still getting in and out is rocky in places.

Renting a board here was painful. The boards are pretty good, definitely a cut above your average Mexican surf shop. We were asked to fill out a form, complete with a picture of the board where we were supposed to indicate dings and so forth. It gave the feeling of distrust and unwelcomeness. Everywhere else in Mexico when you get a board they just give it to you and you leave something for collateral and that's it. When we asked for a little wax, were were told it was $4 dollars in the shop. Renting someone a board without wax is like renting someone a car with no air in the tires. Seriously, no wax?! Nobody charges for wax the first time.

Christmas dinner I think was really the icing on the cake. When we booked we were told that Christmas dinner was mandatory, which seemed strange, but that it was a special occasion here and they made it very nice and that it cost $48 dollars a person. They also told us that town would be closed down and that there wouldn't be anywhere else to eat on Christmas anyway. Which turned out to be totally untrue. Another place right down the beach was open, but I digress... I thought to myself, this better be one special dinner, but the owner is a graduate of the California Culinary Academy, so it probably going to be fantastic.

Wow was I wrong. First of all, the owner never once went in the Kitchen when we were eating, he just sat and drank wine (no food) while his staff worked the kitchen. Second, this was the worst meal I ate in our entire 10 days in Mexico. The first course was an okay soup, followed by a plate of mashed potatoes, grey over cooked beef smothered in gravy with a side of green beans. Desert was some sort of apple tart with ice cream that was pretty decent. 48 bucks! Really? Holy smokes was I mad. It was a meal designed for profit and ease of preparation, not quality. The meat was overcooked, and frankly I didn't come to Mexico to eat Meat and potatoes smothered in gravy. I assumed that for that price it came with wine or something, but that cost extra, naturally.

So in the end we left sad about our experience. It felt like a place that was managed by a large impersonal hotel chain, not the boutique intimate setting it has so much potential to be. As the petty charges flooded on to our bill our enthusiasm ebbed, and we ended up spending as much time not at our hotel as possible

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
15 Thank AndrewM920
Troncones, Mexico
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We originally booked to stay 5 nights on the recommendation of a few friends. Our stay was so terrific that we extended to a week. For me the most important is that i can travel with my little pup. It was no problem at all at the inn. Everyone was so cool with her. I did not know but we had booked the cheapest room...as a result the bed was rock hard. Mike and Winn and staff were all so amazing offered to upgrade us at no extra charge. We declined because of my pup. They fixed the bed and thereafter it was no problem. Also make sure to take enough cash as there are no machines. I took enough but did not plan on staying the extra days so was concerned that i wouldnt have enough to last the duration of our stay. Mike and Winn were so trusting and said it was no problem to pay once i returned home. Troncones and Manzanillo Bay are really special areas. Everyone is so calm and relaxed...nothing was a problem. Thanks once again to everyone there. Hope to see you soon.xx

Room Tip: Make sure when you book to ask for a good bed.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank shoshani
Ocean City, New Jersey
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Our first impression upon arrival was of stunning beauty! The Inn at Manzanillo Bay is beautifully laid out and well maintained. All cabinas face the ocean and the pool is clean and refreshing. The staff was attentive and kept us happy! The owner is a gracious host and a lot of fun to have a beer with. In our opinion, it is the nicest place in Troncones! We hope to be back soon.

Room Tip: Cabinas 1 and 8 are closest to the beach.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank phrank69
Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 3 March 2012

This spot has 7 thatched roof bungalows with ocean views surrounding a nice pool with a waterfall. It is a super relaxing spot with crashing surf to lull you to sleep every night. The beach is nice and very clean and uncrowded if not empty. The restaurant has good food at a fairly reasonable price. Great rellenos, tacos, shrimp, and seared ahi. Margaritas are delicious and intoxicating made with tequila aged in bourbon barrels. They do live music once a week as well.

• Stayed July 2011
6 Thank MonkeyBoySB
Shelton, Washington
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I took my wife there for her 60th bday and then her 70th. Mike is a great host and restauranteur. The staff is caring and welcoming. The location is peaceful, warm and right on the beach.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 8 are closest to the beach. Great sounds of surf.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank kenseattle
CA
Reviewed 25 February 2012

We have been to Troncones and the Inn at Manzanillo Bay several times and it never fails to disappoint! This time we stayed upstairs in one of the air conditioned larger rooms, but we have also been very happy with the bungalows. Grounds are lush and beautifully maintained, with a sparkling pool that overlooks the ocean. One of our favorite times of day is the early morning. We get up, grab our coffee from the open air kitchen and go down to the beachfront tables where we sip coffee and watch the pelicans, the surfers, the various beach dogs and eventually, the sun rising over the mountains. From there we meander to breakfast and then spend the day doing as little as possible. The food is outstanding! I love the Oaxaca burger and the shrimp tacos. The margaritas are the best in Troncones and guacamole is made fresh to order. The last two times we have been we walked up the beach to a little fishing village called Majahwa (not sure about spelling) for breakfast at Martha's. Both times we had fresh red snapper caught that morning, along with homemade tortillas, beans, and of course, a couple of beers. This time we were entertained by a group of egrets, with one male unsuccessfully trying to woo some of the females. Bottom line, for a totally relaxing, peaceful place to de-stress and unwind ( as well as enjoy sunshine and perfect temperatures) this is the place. See you next year!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank IworktotravelCa
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troncones
Casa Ki
#2 of 7 in Troncones
Troncones Point Hostel
Troncones Point Hostel
#1 of 11 in Troncones

Been to The Inn at Manzanillo Bay? Share your experiences!