“Perfect Present to Sis + Self”

Present Moment Retreat
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Troncones
Vancouver, Canada
“Perfect Present to Sis + Self”
Reviewed 16 November 2012

As two June babies living in the same city (Toronto) for the first time in years, my sister and I decided to look for a nice getaway to "gift" to ourselves, the only givens being sun, sand and surf. We got that and way more at this little slice of heaven. Present Moment Retreat is a unique haven that's a must for any traveller seeking complete and utter R&R in a safe, welcoming, and rejuvenating environment nurtured by people who just can't help themselves from being awesome. It's been 5 months since I was fortunate enough to have experienced the present that is Present Moment (PM) and all my memories -- even those hot, breezeless evenings when sleep was so elusive and I pined for air conditioning (lie still enough and you will not get so sweaty) -- are 100% positive.

So, my sister and I stumbled upon PM on Groupon Getaways and it stood out from the pack because of the amenities and activities it offered: private bungalows, a yoga platform facing the sea, meditation and yoga classes, massage and spa treatments, day-time activities (kayaking, surfing, yoga surfing, horseback riding on the beach, and more), and a great menu with delicious and inventive food, shakes, juices, and desserts that other resorts just didn't have (way too used to buffets and all you can drink concoctions, which are nice too...there's just something to be said about quality).

It took a couple of days for us to agree on PM primarily because of the cost (I'm quite the thriftster) and unfamiliar location (Troncones? Zihuatanejo? Guerrero?) but as soon as we got over our trepidations with the help of Tom, who was very accommodating and promptly gave us genuinely honest and helpful answers, we took the leap and booked a 7-night package for two in one of the open-air bungalows with three beds.

In addition to the yoga, massage, facials and mani/pedis, and guided eco-kayaking I availed of during my stay here (oh, and I splurged at the gift shop too...check out their signature scent), I love that PM is small enough that you meet and can get to know the staff and guests here, if you're so inclined.

I believe there was a travel advisory against travelling to the area of Guerrero around the time we stayed here, which was a cause for travel slowing down in this area. Rest assured, Zihuatanejo (airport shared with Ixtapa), particularly Troncones, is safe. Serene, even. For current travel conditions and any questions about PM, just ask the staff...they're quick with email and will give you straightforward answers.

I echo all the rave reviews on here. Feel free to ask me about my stay here, and if you do go to Present Moment, please say hi to CJ, Coby, their tiny dog Bodhi, and the rest of the staff (I remember all their names but will let you have the pleasure of meeting them yourself). One day, I do hope to return...in the meantime, namaste.

Room Tip: I believe there is one bungalow with A/C so if you're visiting on a particularly hot and dry sea...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank MY0MI

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We have just returned from a week at Present Moment. The thoughtfulness and exceptional quality of every aspect of the environment, the services, the staff, the food make this my first Trip Advisor report. I felt compelled to write it. We loved: the intimacy of the small environment, waking up in our elegant room with the sounds of the ocean in the background, morning walks on the beach, eating exceptional quality food (that even accommodated our fussy diets), the truly awesome and generous teachers and the tranquility of time spent by the pool and in the evenings watching the sunset. And it would be wrong not to admit to the phenomenal happy hour Margaritas. I arrived as an occasional home yogi and left with new physical strength, a commitment to regular practice and a plan to go back to Present Moment sometime soon!

Room Tip: We stayed in Serenity, which was perched up higher than a lot of cabanas. We had a great breeze her...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Half Moon Bay, California, United States
Reviewed 3 November 2012

I had a wonderful experience at Present Moment retreat at Troncones. As a first time solo traveler I was a bit skeptical going to Mexico alone, but this place totally exceeded my expectations. My stay was very safe and nurturing thanks to cordial and professional staff and friendly fellow residents. This is a place where you will find solitude if this is what you are looking for, and at the same time if you are looking for a company you can find it too. Present Moments is great place to recharge, to get in touch with nature and yourself . The food was very healthy and delicious and definitely of the highest quality. I absolutely loved the daily yoga classes which were always tailored to group needs. The instructors were not just professional - they were gifted in my opinion. I feel as though my entire stay there was taken care of with thought, care and love.
It's been a couple of weeks since I am back home and I still keep thinking about Present Moment and plan to visit there one day again.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Elina F
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 22 October 2012

Okay. We admit it. We got in on a Groupon. And for that reason, we were a little wary, sometimes Groupon being synonymous with "we're dying here." And after a heart-racing taxi ride from Ixtapa that ended in a construction-heavy dirt and gravel road, my wife and I looked at one another with that what-have-we-gotten-ourselves-into look. When Present Moment came into view and it was pleasantly out of place relative to its surroundings, we felt a tad of relief. CJ the instructor/co-owner greeted us with a warm, genuine smile and welcomed us into the clean, quiet and exotically scented office/store, immediately setting our minds at rest.

After some basic information we were shown around the grounds ending in our bungalo (Tranquility). My wife was a little concerned about privacy, heat and humidity -- she couldn't use her blow-dryer and makeup was likely going to be impractical as well. She teared up after we were left to contemplate what we might be facing but I assured her it should all be okay. In the back of my mind, I wondered if she might pull the plug on the whole thing. But she unpacked and dried her eyes and got geared up for Gentle Yoga, Present Moment's afternoon offering.

Then it happend. Present Moment started working its magic. Yoga was remarkable, if challenging. Dinner was remarkable -- there can be no praise too high for their food and service. And we started meeting other residents, who, in our experience, to a person, were interesting, open-minded and kind. And we started getting to know the instructors, also all phenomenal individuals. Even though ours and other residents' first night seemed to be a universally challenging experience, what with getting used to essential ammenities; and humid, virtually open-air sleeping under a mosquito net, it served as a dual awakening. It tells us, one, that we're in a different world and, two, that not only can we do this but that we're going to be better for it.

The rest of the week was literally one continuous dream-like experience, the only challenge being how I could possibly catalog all the memorable moments and unrepeatable firsts. I experienced a rythmic bonfire ceremony to honor the new moon, complete with a strike-of-midnight shooting star. We met and shared yoga classes and coconuts with a celebrity -- a not uncommon event from what I'm told. And, near the end of our stay, the rescue and release of some 80 turtle eggs. And keep in mind that my wife and I stayed within 500 yards of the retreat the entire week. If we had taken advantage of the variety of events they offer, goodness knows how much more we could have encountered.

We've been back for a couple of days now and I'm definitely a changed person. In one week at Present Moment Retreat, I learned more about myself and about my wife than I ever dreamed possible. I had signed up for a vacation but received the equivalent of a vacation, gentle counceling, calm personal training and easy-to-follow nutritional education, all while spending each day getting closer to the best people I've ever encountered in my life -- instructors, staff and fellow residents included.

There should be a word beyond "vacation.' I'm already planning my next visit.

Room Tip: Okay, the sleeping can be a litle challenging at first but don't let that detract. View the expe...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ThomasMcAuley-com
San Francisco
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This is only my second review on TA and like my first the only reason I'm writing it is because this was an experience that was truly great. The location was as beautiful as you could ever ask for, a paradise of waves, sun, shade, sand and sky amongst which the retreat is tastefully built. The staff were fabulous, caring, kind individuals from the moment we called to the moment we left, and the people of Troncones were welcoming and kind. I've never done as much meditating or yoga per day in my life, and I enjoyed it immensely. Leaving this place was quite difficult, but I can see Bohdi right now looking out from the stage at the waves or planning his next avenue of attack on the shore birds and I am content in the knowing. If your soul could use a lift or you really just need to get lost and found, I recommend this place. I never felt bad vibes in terms of safety from anyone, and my gf and I went into 'town' every night. Troncones is safe. If you take the horseback riding activity down the beach and the hike up to the caves, be sure to bring long pants, shoes, bug spray, water, a headlamp if you have one, and some courage, the jungle hike to the caves is legit. - Trev and Yurika

Room Tip: There are 10 bungalows that are open air with mosquito netting, and there is 1 room (I think it'...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TrevallySF
Alberta
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Okay so I'm the type of person who writes reviews only if I've had an exceptionally negative experience or an exceptionally positive experience. I'm in the Travel Industry and have been to many resorts around the world. Present Moment Retreat was definitely an exceptionally positive experience! If I could sum up this place in one word it would be...Paradise.

From the moment I arrived until the moment I left I felt so at peace and treated like a friend and not just a customer. Tom made me feel truly welcomed and relaxed when we exchanged emails finalizing my package details. Everyone is so very friendly and professional. They took care of me such that I had no worries at all. I was looking for a place to rejuvenate and have some "me time" after having gone through some challenging personal issues. Although there is wifi available I wanted to be completely unplugged for the entire week I was there. No cell phone, no Internet, no emails, no FB...nothing but peaceful meditation and yoga classes in the morning and afternoon, laying by the pool or on the beach on lounge chairs, amazingly delicious and healthy food at the on-site restaurant, or enjoying a massage. They also offer adventure activities like horseback riding into caves, surfing, etc. I didn't do any of that but some other guests did and said they really enjoyed it. You have the option of staying active or doing nothing at all except relax with a good book basking in the warmth of the Mexican sun. I felt like such a special guest although they treated everyone the same. One day I was craving cookies and mentioned it to CJ and Coby and miraculously cookies were freshly baked and made available to guests that evening. Pretty amazing! The only minor thing that I would change is remembering to bring mosquito repellent if you're prone to attract Mosquitos like I am. I understand they're everywhere in Mexico so pack your spray or you can buy it when you get there too.

A special thank you to CJ who has such an amazing uplifting and peaceful energy around her just being in her presence made me feel instantly calm and serene. The meditation and yoga classes led by her as well as the lovely Sara were amazing and I was finally able to manage a pose I never thought I could do! Yay! A big thank you to Coby for his hospitality, Sara for her overall awesome-ness, Josephine for the wonderful restorative massages and sweet nature, and the exceptional service by all the Present Moment staff. Bodhi the resident yoga dog was a joy to have around. He even came to the front gate on his own to see us off. I have enjoyed my stay so much that I plan to organize a special milestone birthday retreat for my dozen or so girlfriends for next year. I'll definitely be back in Paradise. Can't wait until then!!! Namaste~

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank happyvacay
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I truly cannot find the words to describe how precious my time spent at Present Moment Retreat was. Everything was top notch, accommodations, food, services, price. It is the people of PMR that made it for me beyond one's wildest imagination. If you need a place to heal, chill or just enjoy the beauty of life, one moment at a time, I cannot endorse a more perfect place than Present Moment. Enjoy!

Room Tip: All the cabanas are equally perfect. Btw, given the Perfect Moment Retreat energy, I believe the ca...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troncones
The Inn at Manzanillo Bay
#12 of 80 in Zihuatanejo
Troncones Point Hostel
Troncones Point Hostel
#1 of 11 in Troncones

Been to Present Moment Retreat? Share your experiences!