“Present Moment connection”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Troncones
CT
“Present Moment connection”
Reviewed 29 April 2008

I'll start out by saying when we were at PM we extended our stay twice.. we did not want to leave!! My husband and I went to Present Moment with excitement as we were expecting our first child. I have been teaching yoga for 9 years, my husband just started his own practice and I was excited to relax and enjoy myself before the babies arrival. My husbands only worry was that it would be too "yoga-ish" and he wanted to make sure that he could watch each sunset with a beer or two. It would take me quite awhile to describe how magical our experience was.. from the open aired rooms, the showers, the sheer beauty of the space itself. The food was absolutely amazing we ate each meal there for over 2 weeks. Peter makes the BEST margarita ever, with an amazing assortment of tequilas. The yoga was exactly what I hoped for and my husband even ended up loving it so much he joined me for CJs class in the am and then took Qi gong with Peter right after. Tom, indeed a very hard worker ( as everyone there is!) was always concerned with our happiness there and we shared many a heartfelt conversation with he and CJ many times. From the moment we left, we have been trying to get back to Present Moment and visit our home away from home.

• Liked — The open air showers, pool, food, yoga!
  • Disliked — Rocky waters for swimming
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GypsygirlCt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 28 December 2007

The first night of my stay the owners Tom & CJ gave up their quarters to accomodate me, as PMR was completely booked that night. Neither wanted me to have to shorten my stay...and I couldn't be more grateful, their room and view were incredible!
After that I stayed in Serenity where I watched the whales frolick down the coast from my SHOWER!!! No windows, just shoulder height walls, which I thought was uber cool.

The rooms were simple yet elegant, with amazing local flavor and charm. The food was also very good, the spa services were exceptional and giqong class left me blissed out!

Yoga at the PMR is excellent, and what is even cooler is the DOG Gringo that does Yoga (with his own mat) every morning! And yes, he does DOWNWARD DOG!!!

Most exceptional about the resort are the staff and guests! I felt so welcome, the staff felt like old friends on my first night and I met some of the most interesting and warm people both staying at the PMR, and those who had wandered in from the beach and found it more appealing than their own hotel!

I truly felt relaxed and shall I say it...ZEN, which is a difficult task for a high-strung person like myself .

I highly recommend the PMR as I have grown to fondly call it, and I will certainly return, hopefully very soon and often!

• Liked — Atmosphere, accomodations, staff
  • Disliked — uncomfortable pool chairs, sound of traffic a bit distracting at night from Serenity
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled solo
2 Thank SMGGAL
vancouver
Reviewed 12 December 2007

I have absolutely no clue how anybody could ever complain about this place whatsoever. The accomodations are beautiful, the people who work there (including Tom) are some of the nicest people you will ever meet. The cuisine is first rate and the beach is magical. I could mogve in year round and be very happy. Don't give those negative reviews a second glance , as I'm sure you have met a few people in your travels that cannot ever be happy and want more.

• Liked — The staff
  • Disliked — going home
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled solo
3 Thank bnaughty54
Fairfax, California
Reviewed 25 May 2007

The grounds are picturesque in a Disney Swiss Family Robinson treehouse sort of way: Quaint palapas, a yoga platform, white lights wrapped around the trees surrounding the pool. I was quite excited upon arriving, ready for a restful, centering yoga experience. What I got was unfulfilled promises from the owner Tom (he promised two beds in my room and later reneged saying they had no other beds forcing my roommate and I to sleep in the same queen bed), the night I arrived I found that my palapa was close to the dining area where I was subjected to loud employee partying into the wee hours (3 am?) right next door, my special pre-arranged food plan for my dietary restrictions was ignored though I had been assured by Tom that I would have "everything" I need. Throughout my stay, I heard many complaints from other retreatants about the owner which put a damper on my experience. I also talked to some of the employees and the general consensus there was that it was a shame that the owner who created this healing/spiritual environment most needed the healing. I planned for this trip for a long time and was very disappointed with the lack of customer service. Though the grounds are pretty, I will not be back. Ever.

• Liked — The grounds
  • Disliked — The management
  • Stayed March 2007
17 Thank Thea Y
natureboy56, Co-founder at Present Moment Retreat, responded to this review, 9 May 2008
This guest participated in a yoga retreat in April '07, which was organized by an outside group unaffiliated with Present Moment. Although our entire staff went to their limits to please this woman, it was obviously not working out well. When it was made clear to her that we had done all that we were willing to do in order to please her, she remarked to me personally that she could create problems for our business. Our staff does their best to compassionately understand all who stay with us; however we cannot guarantee 100% satisfaction. Two other negative comments posted in this review section, are from this same group, and it appears that they worked together to adversely affect us with these reviews. I take responsibility for my unwillingness to bend over backwards for this group, but I see their reviews as personal attacks rather than constructive criticism.
yorkie on the left.
Reviewed 19 May 2007

I went to Present Moment Retreat in april 2007. I was looking to have a relaxed, fun, stress free week there. It was anything but that. The property was beautiful, but this hotel is managed so terribly that it overshadowed everything else. Tom, who is the CEO/manager, was rude and passive aggressive. He was always around, which made you not want to be in "the present moment" at all. It is a shame because the property is absolutely stunning and everyone else who works there is great. It was very strange to be in such a beautiful place, and yet there was such a palpable dislike for the man who owns the place, coming from almost everyone.
Also be prepared for a room that has no privacy at all. The rooms are well done, but everyone will be able to see and hear you unless you duck and whisper. I loved Troncones, and think the property is great, but it needs new management.

Stayed April 2007
11 Thank TravelboundYorkie
Boston
Reviewed 29 April 2007

We went to the present moment to de-stress, enjoy some peace and tranquility, and mindfulness. The place itself was absolutely beautiful, the staff were friendly and welcoming. Tom, the CEO and co-founder however, could stand to practice what he preaches a bit. By his own admissions, he works far too much, and I only know this because he told me on 5 separate occassions that he works 16 hour days. He was stressed out, and to be frank, a little money hungry. Not exactly the host we would have hoped for at a yoga retreat. Certainly wasn't about the present moment, unless that happened to involve you giving him more of your money. In any hotel/retreat/resort you expect a certain degree of hospitality. Especially in a place that claims to be about "renewing your spirit". I found that Tom left me feeling more tense and stressed after my interactions than I had felt before I arrived.
Other than that, the rooms were beautiful, scenery gorgeous, yoga was great - but don't be fooled by the mission statement; this place is more about making money off of tourists who are looking for a spiritual oasis than about actually helping it's guests de-stress and relax.
We won't be back.

• Liked — the scenery
  • Disliked — The owner
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled with friends
12 Thank lovetoseetheworld
Florida
Reviewed 24 April 2007

Tom, CJ, and the staff are wonderfully warm and welcoming. The bungalows are comfortable and the food delicious. It is a great getaway from the rest of the world.

• Stayed March 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank scififan2468
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troncones
The Inn at Manzanillo Bay
Gamma de Fiesta Inn Plaza Ixtapa
Troncones Point Hostel
Troncones Point Hostel
#1 of 10 in Troncones

Been to Present Moment Retreat? Share your experiences!