“Special place for enlightenment, exercise, great food and friendship!”

Present Moment Retreat
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Troncones
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We did not stay at Present Moment. We had already booked a hotel down the road but I found myself at this amazing place EVERY day of my vacation, most days I was there for several hours...taking some of the most incredible yoga classes, getting Thai massage, doing fire dance and ecstatic (free form) dance classes or just hanging out at the awesome restaurant eating delicious and healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners. I loved the people I met there, and cant wait to see them again. Everything, from the gorgeous yoga platform open to the beach, the yoga instruction, the cleanliness, the great service...etc. was just great. This is a place for everyone, regardless of yoga...do not think that you cannot enjoy it as much as I did if you dont do yoga...this is a special place, I would not have had the vacation of a lifetime without Present Moments Retreat.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank niloo_1

Reviewed 31 May 2010

What a rejuvenating experience! The hotel grounds are lovely, the bungalows sweet, the staff super friendly, the food delicious, and the classes fantastic. We were very pleased with the entire experience, and hope to return again one day.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I spent last week at Present Moment Retreat celebrating my 50th birthday. It was a magical week, and was everything I had hoped for and more. I traveled alone, as my husband was unable to join me, and I felt perfectly comfortable and safe by myself, although the place is so romantic it would be great for couples. The pictures on the website don't do justice to the beauty of the grounds; the constant sound of the crashing surf was mesmerizing and cleansing; the food was excellent - in fact people came from all over the area to eat there, saying it was the best food in town; the local staff were top notch, as well as being very friendly and caring, and just all around nice people; the visiting staff (yoga, dance, and chi gong teachers and massage therapists/acupuncturist) were simply amazing and inspiring human beings. They felt like family by the time I had to go. The cabanas are charming and open: not very private, but I liked the feeling of being open to the outdoors and being able to hear the crashing waves when I awoke at night. Excellent live music on Saturday night. Not all yoga classes were rigorous vinyasa, as the website led me to believe, which was the tiniest bit disappointing, however they were good to excellent classes by experienced teachers. The massages were the best I have ever had. I could go on and on... It was a magical week of rejuvenation, relaxation, fun, inspiration, magic, and bliss!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank meglill
Reviewed 7 May 2010

For three consecutive years now I have vacationed in Troncones Beach at Present Moment Retreat (PMR) - usually in February or April, from 9 to 11 days. It was initially suggested to me by one of my staff who recognized that I was in desperate need of a break. Admittedly, at first, the idea of going to a meditation/yoga spa did not really appeal to me but stressed as I was I decided to give it a try. Years later what can I say? The experience continues to be an amazing one and has become indispensable to my well being.

Big picture - think a place to chill à la Gillian's Island but luxe. A modern setting that, respectful of its environment, graciously takes its design cues from the local Mexican vernacular. Smaller, it remains an intimate setting steps from the beach on which it is not unusual to find yourself alone, contemplating life or boogie boarding away the hours of the day. Tom and CJ, the owners, are friendly and welcoming and feel like family. They only have your best interests at heart and will go out of their way to accommodate.

The rooms are wonderful freestanding thatched style bungalows, with great shower facilities, comfortable beds and, old world style rocking chairs on the porches ~ great fun to sit back read a book or simple watch the very abundant and colourful bird life.

The kitchen, adjacent to a terrace facing the beach poised to watch the sunset, offers the finest dining experience with meals as decadent or as simple as you like ~ ordering off the menu is not an issue and even welcomed. The wait staff is particularly attentive and eager to please. It's not unusual for them to share a laugh or even, if desired, as I witnessed this year, a quick dance.

Along with all of this are, of course, the meditation, yoga and qi gong classes available throughout the day... this of is PMR's specialty after all and although never forced to participate I quickly discovered the restorative benefits of early morning meditation, where daily, a warm gentle breeze and the energy of the ocean create an unforgettable experience... as well, there are spa services where a full range of different types massages are available and offered by some of the most capable practitioners I've yet to encounter.

Every year I consider going elsewhere and investigate but in the end choose to return to Present Moment. It just has all I need or could ask for.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank RGB4
Reviewed 25 March 2010

beautiful resort, and amazing staff! I resently visited the zirahuen mountain resort also, and its AMAZING! A magical location and a beautifully designed resort! Bravo team!

1  Thank bennysearle
Reviewed 16 February 2010

Ahhhhhh- Present Moment is the perfect setting for a yoga retreat!
I just had an incredibly blissful week of yoga, sun, fun, and good people! Nothing like sleeping in an open air bungalow, listening to the waves come and go. Doing yoga morning and evening on a beautiful wooden platform overlooking the ocean and swimming in the surf in the afternoon!
The staff is so warm and accommodating. Everyone introduces themselves to you. CJ, the owner, spoke to our group the first night and I knew we were all at a special place. Emily, the wellness counselor (and massage therapist) is awesome.
The food is EXCELLENT---esp the flaxseed bread and the eggs florentine! The Rehydrate drink is totally refreshing. The wait staff are so sweet.
The Serenity Room is really lovely with views of the ocean (the only bungalow that is on the 'second floor'). The furniture and decor is very high-end with beautiful locally hand crafted pillow cases and rustic antiques, and a candelabra. The Blue Moon ceremony was so special. The Tuesday Movie night was such a treat.
Quite honestly, everything about this place is extra special. For a New Yorker that's used to having just about everything within a 2 mile radius, Troncones' Present Moment is an impressive enriching vacation....dare I say the best vacation?! I can't wait to treat myself again!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank winterbriana
Reviewed 10 January 2010

I have been to a lot of retreats & this one was wonderful for me. Well Esalen in Big Sur and Ananda in Italy have great settings. But Present Moment is unlike other retreats which can be kinda self conscious and stiff to me. Other retreats often have a specific or exclusionary spiritual point of view. The setting at Present Moment is great - turn off of a rural Mexican road and the go along the beach to a setting of palapas by the Pacific. Not pretentious, not Ashram austerity. Quiet days, great yoga classes. You don't have to get up at the crack of dawn. No religious overlay but a spiritual sensibility of allowing your self to get back to you. The name fits well " Present Moment". I recommend it especially for those of us who work hard and need a little inspiration and peace and bodywork and playfulness to return to ourselves. There is a sense of levity: people can chose from moving meditation, massage, body work, or Mojitos. Or best of all indulge in them all. The bodyworkers are amazing. I had 3 kinds of treatments - each different and releasing. Some of the rooms can be noisy briefly in the evenings if there are extra people around the restaurant. But if people weren't having fun it wouln't be the same. Ask for a room that tends to be in the quiter area. The food is very good, especially for a retreat. Meals can be enjoyed with others or just as comfortably alone. The beach is wonderful to me the sound of the Pacific surf and rock formations add to the calming and energizing quality.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled solo
2  Thank vajrayogini_FL
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troncones
The Inn at Manzanillo Bay
#3 of 10 in Troncones
Las Brisas Ixtapa
Las Brisas Ixtapa
#7 of 22 in Ixtapa

Been to Present Moment Retreat? Share your experiences!