“gorgeous, relaxing and healing”

Present Moment Retreat
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Troncones
Arlington, Virginia
“gorgeous, relaxing and healing”
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Present Moment Retreat is beautiful - a restorative haven. I enjoyed relaxing and practicing yoga.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
Chicago
Reviewed 26 September 2010

This property is very pleasant, manicured gardens and tidy sparse rooms.
There is an aere of austerity, without any depth....pleasant vacant staff.... accommodating, yet something seriously not wired in.
The restaurant, albeit a lovely location, was a tad over priced for their offering, in addition, the cocktails....libations were POOR.....too much attention to the burning of our menu edges, the precise descriptive of the menu items with a poor accompaniment of properly prepared beverages....too many offerings and not enough specialized focus.
Too much freedom with the owners dogs....its my holiday.....not the dogs who seem to be poorly behaved and overly indulged.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gatawayfromitall
natureboy56, Owner at Present Moment Retreat, responded to this review, 3 October 2010
Thank you for your positive comments about our property, grounds and location; our team puts forth a great and sincere effort to please our guests on every level. I have to say; however, that I'm a bit confused regarding the balance of your review. Your focus appears to be on our 'cocktails, libations and poor accompaniment of properly prepared beverages'. As we are a full service yoga retreat, and not a bar or cocktail lounge, the primary function of Present Moment is to provide beatiful accommodations, excellent classes, massage services and an uplifted community for our guests. As I have mentioned in other reviews regarding our restaurant prices; in order to deliver quality products such as fresh seafood, organic fruits and vegetables, and top of the line meats to our clients, we are willing to pay the 'tad' extra. Just to remind you, your visit took place during summer, and you received a 35% discount on your package with us...a pretty darn good value. We are definately dog and pet friendly here, and welcome all creatures great and small....most of our 2 and 4 legged friends adore their experience!
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 16 August 2010

Simply magnificent!!! The minute you walk into this amazing oasis of lush vegetation, palm trees and tropical flowers..... surrounding this beautiful pool in the center of the retreat.....you know you have arrived and you know this will be a place where you can completely forget who you are or where you just came from....and simply emerge yourself into this unbelievable oasis of peace and tranquility that this amazing retreat embodies! Everything was impeccably clean and so well organized...from the palapas (bungalows) to the incredible staff. Their mantra echoed all week long: "Everything is possible" and that was clearly true! The owner Tom Morisette is an absolute jewel of a man....an artist...a designer....who created (with heart and soul!!) this true slice of heaven called Present Moment (Yoga) Retreat. The food is scrumptious....the servers are an absolutely a delight.... which made each break-fast, lunch and dinner experience a true and joyful one. And let's not even mention the view of the beach and ocean you have right from your dining room chair! Everything was perfect....and we, our "Fab-5" yogi-group from Austin and San Antonio will be back next year!!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank yogawings48
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 24 June 2010

We did not stay at Present Moment. We had already booked a hotel down the road but I found myself at this amazing place EVERY day of my vacation, most days I was there for several hours...taking some of the most incredible yoga classes, getting Thai massage, doing fire dance and ecstatic (free form) dance classes or just hanging out at the awesome restaurant eating delicious and healthy breakfasts, lunches and dinners. I loved the people I met there, and cant wait to see them again. Everything, from the gorgeous yoga platform open to the beach, the yoga instruction, the cleanliness, the great service...etc. was just great. This is a place for everyone, regardless of yoga...do not think that you cannot enjoy it as much as I did if you dont do yoga...this is a special place, I would not have had the vacation of a lifetime without Present Moments Retreat.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank niloo_1
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 31 May 2010

What a rejuvenating experience! The hotel grounds are lovely, the bungalows sweet, the staff super friendly, the food delicious, and the classes fantastic. We were very pleased with the entire experience, and hope to return again one day.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I spent last week at Present Moment Retreat celebrating my 50th birthday. It was a magical week, and was everything I had hoped for and more. I traveled alone, as my husband was unable to join me, and I felt perfectly comfortable and safe by myself, although the place is so romantic it would be great for couples. The pictures on the website don't do justice to the beauty of the grounds; the constant sound of the crashing surf was mesmerizing and cleansing; the food was excellent - in fact people came from all over the area to eat there, saying it was the best food in town; the local staff were top notch, as well as being very friendly and caring, and just all around nice people; the visiting staff (yoga, dance, and chi gong teachers and massage therapists/acupuncturist) were simply amazing and inspiring human beings. They felt like family by the time I had to go. The cabanas are charming and open: not very private, but I liked the feeling of being open to the outdoors and being able to hear the crashing waves when I awoke at night. Excellent live music on Saturday night. Not all yoga classes were rigorous vinyasa, as the website led me to believe, which was the tiniest bit disappointing, however they were good to excellent classes by experienced teachers. The massages were the best I have ever had. I could go on and on... It was a magical week of rejuvenation, relaxation, fun, inspiration, magic, and bliss!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank meglill
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 7 May 2010

For three consecutive years now I have vacationed in Troncones Beach at Present Moment Retreat (PMR) - usually in February or April, from 9 to 11 days. It was initially suggested to me by one of my staff who recognized that I was in desperate need of a break. Admittedly, at first, the idea of going to a meditation/yoga spa did not really appeal to me but stressed as I was I decided to give it a try. Years later what can I say? The experience continues to be an amazing one and has become indispensable to my well being.

Big picture - think a place to chill à la Gillian's Island but luxe. A modern setting that, respectful of its environment, graciously takes its design cues from the local Mexican vernacular. Smaller, it remains an intimate setting steps from the beach on which it is not unusual to find yourself alone, contemplating life or boogie boarding away the hours of the day. Tom and CJ, the owners, are friendly and welcoming and feel like family. They only have your best interests at heart and will go out of their way to accommodate.

The rooms are wonderful freestanding thatched style bungalows, with great shower facilities, comfortable beds and, old world style rocking chairs on the porches ~ great fun to sit back read a book or simple watch the very abundant and colourful bird life.

The kitchen, adjacent to a terrace facing the beach poised to watch the sunset, offers the finest dining experience with meals as decadent or as simple as you like ~ ordering off the menu is not an issue and even welcomed. The wait staff is particularly attentive and eager to please. It's not unusual for them to share a laugh or even, if desired, as I witnessed this year, a quick dance.

Along with all of this are, of course, the meditation, yoga and qi gong classes available throughout the day... this of is PMR's specialty after all and although never forced to participate I quickly discovered the restorative benefits of early morning meditation, where daily, a warm gentle breeze and the energy of the ocean create an unforgettable experience... as well, there are spa services where a full range of different types massages are available and offered by some of the most capable practitioners I've yet to encounter.

Every year I consider going elsewhere and investigate but in the end choose to return to Present Moment. It just has all I need or could ask for.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank RGB4
Also consider these accommodations in or near Troncones
The Inn at Manzanillo Bay
#13 of 81 in Zihuatanejo
Troncones Point Hostel
Troncones Point Hostel
#1 of 11 in Troncones

Been to Present Moment Retreat? Share your experiences!