Free cancellation until 26/07
US$286
US$278
US$327
US$312
Troncones Point Hostel(Troncones)(Great Value!)
US$44
US$513
US$302
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
La Casa del Faro(Troncones)
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewshot tubsleeping porchtortillashalf hour walkcoconut waterplaying gamesfamily vacationamazing beachmexico cityentire placeocean breezeevitabenitocookcasaprivacyproperty
Reviewed 18 June 2009

This place is fabulous! We had the most relaxing and romantic vacation ever!

Open space right on the beach, amazing pool, hammock swings, open kitchen, architecturally gorgeous! The whole place is eco-friendly, using solar power, grey water for the plants, recycling everything. It was perfect for my husband and I, but would be fun for a group or family reunion. We looked at lots of places in
Troncones, but none were nearly as nice as Casa Viva Troncones.
We had the whole 'compound' to ourselves most of the week!

Food: Casa Viva includes huge Mexican breakfasts including fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, chilequiles, something different every morning! Fresh squeezed OJ, handmade tortillas, excellent coffee. We didn't need lunch after all that food.
We had a staff of 3 people to ourselves. Benito washed our car without us asking!

Pool: The most gorgeous I've ever seen! Exotic birds clean their feathers next to lizards along the pool edge.

There are 2 bikes you can ride to yoga or into town for gelato. There's wifi - check your email sitting by the pool. Free Skype phone so you can call people in the U.S. for free.

Rooms: we stayed in the round casita. It's an open casita with king bed and mosquito netting. The shower has wood shutters that you can open to watch the ocean while you shower! The casita is very spacious - much bigger than the ones at Present Moment. And it's situated to take in the ocean breezes at night. Very clean. Very well kept up.

Yoga: Don't stay at Present Moment! They squeeze 10 casitas into the same space as Casa Viva, which has 3. They have no privacy. And they have no breeze because the restaurant blocks it.
Just bike, walk, or drive the mile to your morning yoga classes. You can walk there on the beach. Present Moment's food is very expensive too.
Get the staff at Casa Viva to make fresh fish for you for dinner instead!

Surfing: There is always surf. Rent a board at Inn at Manzanillo (5 minutes away) and
drive to Saladita or the Ranch.

We're planning a return trip later this year.
Downside: the beach is not a swimming beach due to rocks, so you have
to walk 5 minutes down to the kids swimming beach.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 June 2009

"We had a fabulous week at Casa Viva. The operative word is OPEN. Everything is open in the best of ways. The architecture, the staff, the salt pool, the view to the ocean. It's all open, and it has a way of making you feel more relaxed and open when you're staying there. I hope to return someday with my whole family."

Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2009

We’ve been back home now for almost a week and I still find myself daydreaming about Casa Viva. I don’t know that I have enjoyed a place more than Troncones and Casa Viva – we found the whole place really just magical. We were in a small town about an hour south prior to coming to Troncones and arrived right when news of the H1N1 virus, aka Swine flu, was in all the headlines. The first part of our trip was spent worrying and it had been difficult to relax. Immediately upon arriving at Casa Viva we felt at ease. Our children, ages 5 and 3, could barely get their swimsuits on fast enough before jumping in the pool which they stayed in for most of our stay. Benito showed us to the round casita which had been made up with two little twin beds for the kids with netting over the tops that they LOVED. Our bed was also the best I have ever slept in – certainly in Mexico, and we’ve been there a number of times now – and perhaps of any bed other than my own. Something about the netting and waves and the breeze, the soft sheets and Mexican blanket – so serene. Your staff made us feel welcome and took great care of us with Benito even washing our car after an especially dusty adventure on the back way to Saladita. The food was outstanding – eggs, Chilaquilas, fish, shrimp, tortillas, salsa verde. We enjoyed amazing meals and our son's 5th birthday dinner was perfect – thanks to David and Benito for the beautiful and yummy birthday cake! Manchas, the puppy on site was a delight too, what a sweet puppy. He adopted our children right away following them around and playing with them on the beach.

Casa Viva is nothing but special and we look forward to returning soon. I also note that we were not overly worried about swine flu while there and certainly did not see anyone sick or feel like we were compromising our family’s health by being in Mexico. I am very grateful we did not change our plans and would, and will, return to Mexico with no greater fear of getting sick than I would have traveling anywhere.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2009

A month has flown by but our family is still basking in the glow of our time at Casa Viva. After the tour of local restaurants we ended up asking Elvira to make us supper every night. She is hands-down the best cook in Troncones. The kids spent hour upon hour going from pool to hot tub and back again. My husband and I read quietly and soaked up as much or as little sun as we wanted. Sunrise strolls on the beach, sunsets watching the pelicans glide over the waves. It was... perfect.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank abercorngold
Reviewed 29 March 2009

My soon to be 13 year old, and I traveled down to Troncones for 12 days, eight of which were spent at Casa Viva. My daughter had an equally as nice a visit as I did, enjoying sleeping in to the sound of surf and the view of the beach from our beds. She was never bored, which is unusual for a teenager! We are both artists and had ample room to paint watercolors and be independent of one another within the safety of Casa Viva. We were in the Square Casita which we loved. The firm beds were always freshly made, towels were fresh, bottled water at the sink, and ample hot water and pressure in the beautiful artistry of a stone laid shower and bath area. We felt pampered and safe and that we didn't need a car in the least. We rarely ventured away from Casa Viva's compound. There is room to explore floral/bird/plant life within the gated intimate grounds.

I believe that there is a possibility of having three meals in, but I am not sure. As David Leventhal, our generous host was there, we ate most meals in with Elvira's traditional mexican fare: fresh garden vegies, always a fresh salad with lunch and dinner, and breakfast usually included fresh fruit and ample scrambled eggs with cheese or herbs or greens and fresh tortillas. She makes everything from scratch including the tortillas and mole.

There was easy WI FI and access to phones for communication with the outside world. And there are several fantastic restaurants within a close walk, not to mention delicious ice cream that is well worth the short hike into the village of Troncones.

I would go back to Casa Viva in a heart beat and so look forward to seeing the new project David and Sandra are starting of a self sustaining community called Playa Viva. It already appears to have the simple elegance, artistically designed community space and fine craftmanship in furniture and decor that we witnessed at Casa Viva.

We will be back!!