“Best place I stayed in south America after 5 months traveling”

Hotel Casa de Nelly
Ranked #1 of 27 San Agustin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 May 2014 via mobile

Everything about this place is simply delightful. We arrived at the hostel quite late and with a few problems (caused by our taxi driver). The friendly and helpful manager Harry welcomed us and translated for us allowing the problem to be resolved.

We were then invited to join nelly and some other guests for dinner which was a nice touch to say the least.

The garden, surroundings and views are excellent, they have pet turtles and macors (pardon the spelling). As well as all the hotel basics- tv, games etc.

The dorms were clean, the beds wide and no bunkbeds- what a bonus! I was shown a private room and it was one of the best I've seen while on my trip. The staff were all friendly and the manager Harry advised as the best way to get to our onward destination (You may find in Columbia you get told multiple different things from different people).

Overall one of the best places I've stayed in S.A.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Sotiri A

Reviewed 6 May 2014

We travel from Miami to Colombia first time in Latin America and I have to say that arriving in San Agustin was so beautiful. Casa Nelly makes me feel like home. I love the garden, the talking parrots are hilarious, the food made by Gustavo is very good. I am in love to him.
Harry the manager is always there to helping people; he and Nelly (the owner) understand the needs for those who arrives at any time from all parts of the world.
Its well known that Casa Nelly is the best!!!!
The atmosphere is fun. Cool people, interesting conversation.
I have a great time. I am still missing to be there.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014

10-15 minutes walk from San Agustin, Casa de Nelly is tucked away to the side of the town. Beautiful gardens with outside patios and a cosy common area inside the main house. Lots of pets: cats, dogs and parrots to make it feel more homely.

The staff are excellent at helping arrange activities or making your stay comfortable.

We extended our stay a few days and we stayed in a few different rooms. All were clean and very comfortable.

Dinner was excellent, so much so that we ate at the hostel every night. Alison's birthday occurred during our stay and the staff made a special desert for everyone.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank twohermitcrabs
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I stayed a few nights at Casa de Nelly and really enjoyed it. The place has a beautiful garden, friendly animals and lovely hosts. I stayed in a cabana and it was great. It reminded me of an eco lodge, lots of wooden furniture and very spacious with a hot shower. I tried breakfast and dinner and both were good, but definitely on the pricey side - the owners are upfront about the costs and acknowledge you can eat more cheaply in town. There is filtered water available for free which is a nice touch. I walked to the archeological park, which took about 30 minutes. The place attracts a diverse crowd of people of all ages and I had some interesting conversations whilse there. Harry is just lovely and really hilarious, he helped me make arrangements for my onward travel and gave me some good tips. I would certainly recommend this place is you are after somewhere friendly and chilled to relax.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Happy_hol_tripper
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Sweet, tucked away but acessable on foot to town. Lovely people, even more lovely setting. House pets make it an at home feeling. Great characters coming and going, I would return in a heartbeat. Clean rooms, laundry service, friendly atmosphere. Helps to know spanish. St. Agustin has alot to offer.

Room Tip: Choice of dorms or private room.
Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2014

The place is quite far away from the center of San Augustin. Breakfast and Dinner are available but cost far too much. You don´t get what you pay for, prices should definetely be lower.

The rooms are quite nice and the common areas are good.

This is not a place for young people (age 18 - 35) but rather a meeting point of elderly people or families.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Nils K
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We could not have asked for more from our visit. The place is beautifully landscaped, our double room was spacious and comfortable, we got into playing chess on the outside table, the two dogs were Great fun. Harry and Michel were excellent hosts.

Room Tip: for a quieter room, ask to be on the upper floors away from communal kitchen.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple