“Lovely location let down by poor management and maintenance”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Richmond
Richmond Caravan and Cabin Park
Reviewed 28 April 2014

This is a very nicely located site with pleasant rural views over the vineyards opposite and has huge potential. It is only a 15 minute walk from Richmond which is a fine historic town with some lovely shops and tea rooms. It should be a delight to stay here.
However this is probably the worst tourist park I have stayed on in Australia. The managers personality, temperament and work ethic is wholly unsuited to employment in the leisure sector. The place is run down and the cleanliness of the toilets a disgrace. If considering staying here read the other reviews first and vote with your feet.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aroundthenextcorner1

Reviewed 19 April 2014

My girlfriend and I had the misfortune of staying here last night. I can honestly say that i would not stay here again if they paid me.

Heres what happened:

We spent the day on the west of the island and neither my girlfriend or I was able to get any phone signal.

At around half 7 we got into New Norfolk and rang around a few camp sites to find somewhere to stay for the evening. A gentleman answered the phone here with a very much 'What do you want' kind of tone and my girlfriend very politely asked if they had space for us to stay with a two man tent that evening. The man who she spoke to was a little off and was concerned about us waking other residents if we came (?!?!) Once again she politely reassured him that we would be as quiet as we could and we would be there by half 8 at the very latest. He advised her go ring again when we arrived and he would come and meet us.

Arriving at about 8:20, we did as we were told and rang to advise we had arrived. We could see people inside the house which was attatched to the office and we could hear the phone ringing but nobody answered!!! I walked to the office to see if I could attract any attention but all the lights were off.

There was a sign on the door of the office which said that if you were arriving out of hours and required attention to call the number and hang up and someone would come out to meet you. So again we rang this number and hang up, waited and again nothing. During this time people were looking out of the window at us from the house behind the office, and despite waving to try and attract attention we were once again ignored.

Eventually the man with whom my girlfriend initially spoke came out and bawled 'Do you want something?'. Once again very politely my girlfriend said she had spoken to him and we needed a pitch. After having a go at us for the time we arrived (despite us arriving earlier than we had agreed and him ignoring us) he then had another go at us for not leaving a message on the answer phone- when his instruction had been to just ring, as was the instruction on the door at his office! Despite his complete lack of any kind of customer service skills he had a rather menacing demeanour and were it not for our absolute tiredness and the liklihood of not finding anywhere else to sleep that night I would have driven away there and then.

He eventually showed us where the camping field was - which was a huge field which was completely empty. Therefore making his earlier point about 'disturbing other guests' completely irrelevant.

We found it a real shame that our last night in Tasmania was tainted by this one individual. It is worth noting that everyone else we met during our holiday was charming and helpful.

Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 6 March 2014 via mobile

We arrived about 5.20pm looking for a powered RV site. We stayed on one that had its on en suite. First impression was there appears to be a lack of maintenance. Price was good and probably says it all. Setting fitted in with everything. The camp kitchen was well presented. What was not pleasant was the male manager. He was nice enough but a bit gruff. The park was full so he may have had one of those days. It came out at the camp kitchen. The large bbq was in full swing as I waited my turn someone noticed the timber panels behind were charring. The people using the bbq pulled it away from the wall and issued some water quenching the char. The manager turns up and say cant you move it. Someone replied they had. The matter was in hand. The issue is one where there is evidence of past charring yet no signs or even some metal placed on the wall to prevent it. Weary travellers probably don't think straight but the reaction of the manager was not good either. Fix it up and smile and thank those who helped out before you arrived. It could have been left burning. The shed is of your design.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank robtwal
Reviewed 4 February 2014

We stayed for 1 night in an economy cabin, found it clean and comfortable. Great location and peaceful.
We plan to come back when our little ones are older and stay longer, will book a duluxe cabin next time, so we have a little more room for the kiddies.
Very pleased with cost of cabin, very very reasonable for this time of year.

Room Tip: If travelling with family and staying more than 1 night choose duluxe cabin. If a couple economy is...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2014

When we first arrived, I thought the park was ok it had everything we needed. Showers, laundry, bbq kitchen area and to boot a swimming pool and games room. When we settled in we noticed how run down the games room and lounge area was. The carpet and couches absolutely filthy. Next we move on to the pool, make sure there's no slight laughter. The owner has young, strange, daughters who are always in the pool and told their father our kids had been "bombing". I was very insulted when the owner (who has no social skills) came in and spoke to us regarding this. Especially when they were being supervised at all times by my husband and myself and hadn't even stepped outside of the pool. I might also add the owners young girls had no supervision. I noticed them in the pool the next day doing the same with another family who made the mistake to laugh and play (not interfering with anyone else). Also if you want people to have a shower before they go in the pool then maybe put showers in the pool area and not walk 150m or so to the main toilet/shower block - it only makes sense! (make sure your own family are also showered before they enter the pool).
The male toilets/shower area is a disgrace. My husband mentioned it didn't seem like they had been cleaned at all over the 5 days we stayed.
Every morning we were woken up at 5am by the long staying backpackers nearby, think the owner should have spent more of his time asking them to keep the noise down.
I have never seen such a lethargic and miserable looking management team as is the case at this park. Not even the energy for a smile, never mind having the energy to fix the many things that need to be addressed within the park.
The only good thing about the park was the groundsman who was always helpful, friendly and smiling.
I will never use this caravan park again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank 197Theresa
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Stayed for 1 night in a 2 bedroom cabin. Thought the complex was in a great location. Our cabin was clean and comfortable and had good facilities. Beds were comfortable and the cabin was a reasonable size. Great on site facilities - indoor heated swimming pool, games room and playground. It was quiet, even though a few families were staying there. Felt it was great value for money, as had paid a fair bit more for other 2 bedroom cabins with ensuite and kitchen facilities in other Tasmanian locations.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharon D
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Our first time and last time. Family of 5 in a old , smelly, dirty cabin.First day arrived cabin was filthy a rooten old milk carton under mattress , peanuts, dirt, sand & flies all in couch. Clothing items from previous people . Smelt like sheep living in there , dead ants and fat over range hood , last straw was used grill with old fat on foil. All crockery dirty food stuck on it. Owners response was I've cleaned it today. Was moved to another cabin looked ok, crockery dirty , abit smelly was over it by this stage, went out for aday trip to come back and my cabin door was open , owners response was I will fix it tomorrow and never turned up so I packet everything in my car so it was safe.we are frequent travellers to Tasmania and found this horrifying accomadtion in 10 years in coming over here

• Stayed: December 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Hatcher's Manor
Hatcher's Manor
#1 of 1 in Richmond
Richmond Barracks
Richmond Barracks
#1 of 11 in Richmond
Seven Mile Beach Cabin and Caravan Park
Seven Mile Beach Cabin and Carav...
#1 of 3 in Seven Mile Beach
#1 of 6 in Glenorchy
Richmond Coachmans Rest
Richmond Coachmans Rest
#7 of 11 in Richmond

Been to Richmond Caravan and Cabin Park? Share your experiences!