“Nice weekend getaway”

Ranked #1 of 2 Ironton B&B and Inns
Farmington, Missouri
“Nice weekend getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed at the Scarlett's hideaway room. Very nice. Indoor jacuzzi tub. Outdoor hot tub conveniently located. Breakfast was outstanding. Very nice place for a weekend getaway. Horseback riding available. Scenic area. Don't miss the local state parks (elephant rocks and Johnson's shut-ins). My only knock on bed and breakfast was that price was a little high but worth it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Crystal City, Mo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2014

My husband reserved the Scarlett's HIdeaway Room for one night as a Valentine's Day gift for the weekend after Valentine's Day. He added on the cheese & sausage package, Dinner for two package, and the private star gazing / hot tub package. It was all wonderful!!! Our room also had a jacuzzi and fireplace, but we ran out of time to squeeze that in too. The hot tub overlooks the creek and is very easy to get to from Scarlett's Hideaway Room. I highly recommend this B&B and hope we can come back and enjoy the horseback riding that the other guests experienced with a picnic lunch and possibly a massage. Dinner and breakfast were delicious. The innkeeper was softspoken but very accommodating. Rooms were immaculate. Might need to request a larger bathrobe! There was only one other couple there as guests when we went, so it was very quiet.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2013

We visited the Plain & Fancy for a quick anniversary getaway. I was somewhat skeptical about the B&B but was pleasantly surprise. The house was absolutely gorgeous inside, with beautifully updated bathrooms and clean rooms. We stayed in the Amish Room, that was slightly smaller than the other ones in the house, but had by far the nicest bathroom from what we could tell: giant jacuzzi tub and a beautiful shower. There were a lot of local and personal touches in the house, and the very friendly proprietors kept a very large and up-to-date movie collection (which we took advantage of) as well as a book collection. (At first we thought we were the only ones in the house but the proprietors have their own apartment attached to the house). The proprietors met us and were extremely helpful in helping us select dinner options as well as local attractions. Breakfast was delicious - waffles and fruit - and was made by the proprietors before our eyes.
We also took advantage of the stable and went on a beautiful and very enjoyable trail-ride. We loved learning about the family business. Everyone was extremely welcoming and friendly. The only thing that detracted from the property is the fact that there are trailers on the other side of the road, which our windows faced - they definitely somewhat detracted from the view. I would definitely recommend the Plan & Fancy for a 1-2 day getaway - it was lovely and relaxing.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

What can I say about Plain & Fancy Bed & Breakfast. Lets start with saying
that the pictures on the website barely does justice to how gorgeous and
beautiful of a place this really is. Tom and Brenda are the most amazing
host ever. Their place was extremely clean and each and every room was so
special and decorated so well and not to forget the awesome breakfast they
cooked for us every morning. Felt right at home :)

So here's goes the story. My boyfriend & I had decided that we would book
a vacation where neither of us have any idea to where we were going till
the day off. We were supposed to just pack our bags and then book a
flight. We did a search on kayak and entered random 5 to 6 airports in
US. Saint Louis came up first so we booked our flights 9 hours before we
were leaving. Now ofcourse it was my bf's suggestion that we can't go
from one city to the other so he got a car rental and we drove 80 miles
away from the airport and arrived at this bed and breakfast. He had booked
us a special night at this place "Gazing the Stars" - a hot tub night
starring at the skies & stars amidst forest & trees. Brenda lit candles
for us and gave us a bottle of chilled wine. It was simply breathtaking.
We went to Johnson's shut-ins nearby the next day where there is waterfall
and a beautiful lake in the middle of this park where you can swim. We
also went canoeing for 6 hours on Black river and horseback riding the
next day. Each and every moment on this trip was amazing. We would most
definitely visit this Plain & Fancy bed & breakfast again and definitely
recommend this place to anyone who wants to experience adventure, romance,
thrill and an experience of a lifetime :)

V & A

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Princess241
Nixa, MO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2010

I don't normally write reviews but wanted to share a surprise I encountered at this property. I expected a quiet, adults-only getaway and was especially excited about the pool. What is not mentioned on the B&B website is that this property also has cottages which are rented to families and open out onto the pool area. I was dismayed to arrive for our stay to the sounds of a raucous game of Marco Polo! Otherwise, this is a lovely property and indeed a nice "home base" for the surrounding parks. Our room was incredibly spacious and I enjoyed the screened in day porch. The innkeepers are present at breakfast to answer questions or provide information.

Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cooper417
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2010

We booked the Butterfly Room because it was on special, and chose this B&B due to the close proximity to Elephant Rocks State Park and Johnson Shut Ins. Overall, we had a great stay, but there are a few things that I would have like to have known before visiting.

First, the Butterfly Room is on the first floor of the house, just next to the front door. Though noise was never a problem, it was an odd spot for a room. The room was large and was prettier than I expected. The bathroom was very nice, with a huge jacuzzi tub and a very, very small jetted shower. One problem we had was that there were mites in the bathroom. They seemed to be coming from the flowers that were in the bay window next to the tub.

There were homemade cookies each afternoon that were delicious, and water and soda in a mini frig in the room. The bed was very firm and not too comfortable compared to other B&Bs that I've visited. The innkeepers do not give you a key to lock your room when you leave, and this was something that surprised me. I've never before had a place not give a key to my room! We just had to leave it unlocked when we left and take our valuables with us.

The location is great for visiting some of the great natural wonders of the area, and the Ironton area is beautiful! The pool onsite was a nice way to relax after doing some exploring. Breakfast is served in the main dining room at 9am, and was excellent one day and just okay the next. I am not a big eater, but when I go to a B&B I expect a large breakfast, but here the portions are on the small side.

Although I've mentioned quite a few negatives, these are the things that I would want to know before booking next time. Overall, my husband and I had a very nice stay, and would return again!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank getawaygal1
Tulsa, OK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

My wife & I stayed in the Amish room for our 13th anniversary. This is a wonderful B&B that has lots of great details and is very clean. The room was very comfortable and kept to the Amish theme with simple decor. The large bathroom was excellent with the large shower and separate jacuzzi tub. We added a massage for the evening - an excellent way to relax! Breakfast was appealing - both visually and to the taste buds. Portion size was not too little or too much - just right. It was too cold to try out the hot tub overlooking the bubbling stream down below but we could imagine that being a very nice treat. Another nice thing that we could have tried were the horses. Trail rides are available.

The only downside (outside of the owner's control) is the lack of upscale dining nearby. This is a rural location - nice scenery and lots of history in the area but you have to drive 15+ miles for better dinner choices.

We would definitely stay here again if the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lebs27
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ironton
Shepherd Mountain Inn & Suites
Fort Davidson Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pilot Knob
Old Caledonian Bed & Breakfast
Eagle's Landing River Resort & Cabins

Been to Plain & Fancy Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!