“Surprise!”

Plain & Fancy Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Ironton B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2010

I don't normally write reviews but wanted to share a surprise I encountered at this property. I expected a quiet, adults-only getaway and was especially excited about the pool. What is not mentioned on the B&B website is that this property also has cottages which are rented to families and open out onto the pool area. I was dismayed to arrive for our stay to the sounds of a raucous game of Marco Polo! Otherwise, this is a lovely property and indeed a nice "home base" for the surrounding parks. Our room was incredibly spacious and I enjoyed the screened in day porch. The innkeepers are present at breakfast to answer questions or provide information.

Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cooper417
There are newer reviews for Plain & Fancy Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 14 July 2010

We booked the Butterfly Room because it was on special, and chose this B&B due to the close proximity to Elephant Rocks State Park and Johnson Shut Ins. Overall, we had a great stay, but there are a few things that I would have like to have known before visiting.

First, the Butterfly Room is on the first floor of the house, just next to the front door. Though noise was never a problem, it was an odd spot for a room. The room was large and was prettier than I expected. The bathroom was very nice, with a huge jacuzzi tub and a very, very small jetted shower. One problem we had was that there were mites in the bathroom. They seemed to be coming from the flowers that were in the bay window next to the tub.

There were homemade cookies each afternoon that were delicious, and water and soda in a mini frig in the room. The bed was very firm and not too comfortable compared to other B&Bs that I've visited. The innkeepers do not give you a key to lock your room when you leave, and this was something that surprised me. I've never before had a place not give a key to my room! We just had to leave it unlocked when we left and take our valuables with us.

The location is great for visiting some of the great natural wonders of the area, and the Ironton area is beautiful! The pool onsite was a nice way to relax after doing some exploring. Breakfast is served in the main dining room at 9am, and was excellent one day and just okay the next. I am not a big eater, but when I go to a B&B I expect a large breakfast, but here the portions are on the small side.

Although I've mentioned quite a few negatives, these are the things that I would want to know before booking next time. Overall, my husband and I had a very nice stay, and would return again!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank getawaygal1
Reviewed 30 December 2009

My wife & I stayed in the Amish room for our 13th anniversary. This is a wonderful B&B that has lots of great details and is very clean. The room was very comfortable and kept to the Amish theme with simple decor. The large bathroom was excellent with the large shower and separate jacuzzi tub. We added a massage for the evening - an excellent way to relax! Breakfast was appealing - both visually and to the taste buds. Portion size was not too little or too much - just right. It was too cold to try out the hot tub overlooking the bubbling stream down below but we could imagine that being a very nice treat. Another nice thing that we could have tried were the horses. Trail rides are available.

The only downside (outside of the owner's control) is the lack of upscale dining nearby. This is a rural location - nice scenery and lots of history in the area but you have to drive 15+ miles for better dinner choices.

We would definitely stay here again if the opportunity presented itself.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lebs27
Reviewed 23 April 2009

My husband and I stayed for four nights. Overall very good experience and one of the best all around B&B's we have stayed in. We stayed in the lovely Amish Room, which was spacious and the hot tub was wonderful. The breakfasts were good, cookies yummy. Also appreciated the fridge and coffee/tea outside our room. The house itself is lovely and we had fun with the puzzle! Nice hospitality and conversation from the owners; they seem to really enjoy what they do. Beautiful location. Arcadia Valley is one of the undiscovered gems of Missouri. Also recommend taking a drive up to Caledonia. Quaint little town that is a step back in time. Very nice, friendly people.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PeacefulSojourner
Reviewed 12 March 2009

I wanted to book a B&B in the Farmington, MO, area, so I emailed and called several. Brenda was one of only 2 who got back with me. Brenda called me back right away and was more than happy to accomodate the special plans I wanted to make. If you want exception service, I highly recommend Plain & Fancy B&B. Kathy Goughenour

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank RapidReader
Reviewed 20 November 2008

We LOVED our experience at the Plain & Fancy! Tom & Brenda were wonderful hosts, and the property is great. I wish we could have stayed longer!

We stayed in the Amish room, and it was marvelous. We especially liked this room because it was less frilly (a plus for the guys) and the large bathroom was awesome. A large Jacuzzi tub perfect for two (and plenty of hot water!) and a spa shower were definitely highlights. There was a fridge stocked with soda & water, along with a neat coffee & tea maker, right outside our door. While we opted for the Jacuzzi in our room, the hot tub on the deck looked mighty inviting (especially in November!). The pool looked nice too, but it was obviously closed for the winter. The gazebo & fire patio were inviting also.

Brenda's breakfast was amazing, and really got your day off to a good start. And the conversation at the breakfast table made it that much better! Tom & Brenda are wonderful hosts--they make you feel most welcome, then leave you in privacy when you need it. They know what they're doing!

We'll definitely be back to the Plain & Fancy--hopefully with some friends next time!

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank Johnny5STL
Reviewed 23 August 2008

Quiet rural setting near historic Ironton. There are 3 large rooms in the main house. We stayed in the 2nd floor Amish room which was decorated with hand-crafted furniture. Perfect for my husband who is not fond of too much frou-frou. The property was spotless and well-decorated inside and out, with much attention to details such as a plate of cookies in our room, chocolates by the bedside, and fluffy bathrobes. Breakfast was delicious and well-balanced. There was a stocked refrigerator and coffemaker right outside our door. There is a beautiful in-ground pool with a slide, a separate hot tub overlooking nearby Stout's Creek, as well as a lit gazebo. I loved our large bath with an over-sized jacuzzi and tiled spa shower. A perfect place to unwind, comfy and romantic. We only stayed one night, on our way to float the nearby Black River, but this B&B is a location in itself. There are many interesting activities nearby, such as a Civil War Battlefield, the Ozark Trail, antiquing, and many state parks and conservation areas. We've stayed in about 20 B&B's, and this was one of the best.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1  Thank nanmeister
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ironton
Shepherd Mountain Inn & Suites
Fort Davidson Hotel
Fort Davidson Hotel
#1 of 1 in Pilot Knob
The Hiding Place Bed and Breakfast

Been to Plain & Fancy Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!