“I've Stayed in Better FIs”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Jefferson City
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Jefferson City
GreenLeadersBronze level
Huntsville, Alabama
“I've Stayed in Better FIs”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2013

Check in was fine and the clerk friendly enough. My room was very small with no reefer or micro. I came back to the front desk and asked about a room with those items. I was told "they are only in our deluxe rooms". I have lifetime plat status with Marriott so I asked "oh - well can you upgrade me?" I was then asked what kind of room I wanted. I was given a room with a large whirlpool tub in the bedroom area. The room was good with lots of space and we enjoyed the whirlpool. The bathroom itself was a little old and tired. There was a lot of smeared grout, caulk and the door frame had pealing paint - it felt dirty in some way. Basically the bathroom is in desperate need of a redo. The bed slept well and I enjoyed the whirlpool. The AC did blow on my head - most motel type rooms seem to have this feature and I wish designers would relocate the AC units from under the window or rearrange to rooms so that the air flow didn't move directly across the head of the bed. Breakfast was a little disappointing. There was a big sign in the elevator about a new hot breakfast that included eggs, sausage and oatmeal. The oatmeal was the same old instant packaged stuff - I was really looking forward to some cooked oatmeal. No other real issues but I left with a feeling that there was a lot of room for improvement.

Room Tip: Book a deluxe room if you want a microwave or refrigerator.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Aaron_Friedewald, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Jefferson City, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
First, let me thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We value every guest's opinion, and appreciate your willingness to share yours with us.

I'm disappointed that you found our property to be simply, average. Currently, only our suites have microwaves and refrigerators. I apologize that you found this to be an inconvenience. However, as a Marriott Rewards member, you receive top priority for an upgrade. I'm happy to hear that this request was met, and you received a complimentary upgrade to a Whirlpool Suite.

I apologize that you found your bathroom area to be old and tired. I've had the maintenance issues that you referred to addressed immediately. Thank you for reporting them. By sending us your feedback, you've brought several matters to our attention, and helped us to improve our property as a whole. This is a valuable courtesy, and is very much appreciated.

Again, thank you for sending us your survey. We value your business as a Marriott Rewards member, and look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

Been coming to Jefferson City for work about once per month and typically stay here when available. Always very clean and friendly staff. Only complaint about rooms is that you can still tell the first floor rooms used to be smoking. Was very disappointed to see that the waffle iron was replaced with subpar sausage patties and boil-in-bag scrambled eggs (which were terrible!). I always looked forward to a waffle with peanut butter and sliced banana on top. Shared my displeasure with the desk attendant, who agreed that the new breakfast is disappointing but that it was out of their hands.

• Stayed April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We value each of our guest's opinions, and appreciate your willingness to share yours.

I'm pleased to see that you enjoy your visits to our property, you always find our hotel to be clean and our staff to be friendly, and that we have your valuable return business moving forward.

Regarding the first floor rooms, I apologize that you feel these rooms were once smoking rooms. This particular Fairfield has always been an all non-smoking property. We enforce a $250 room recovery fee from each guest that takes it upon themselves to smoking in a non-smoking environment. Unfortunately, despite this charge, we still have guests that smoke in our property, at times inconveniencing others around them. For that, I apologize.

As for our new breakfast, Marriott has instituted a new hot breakfast plan for all Fairfield properties. This breakfast does include the addition of scrambled eggs, pork sausage, fresh cut fruit, and a few minor contintential changes. I'm sorry to see that you found the quality to be subpar. The purpose of the change was to replace the Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwiches with a healthier option as well as incorporate more protein into our menu. As part of the change, new induction units used to heat both the scrambled eggs and sausage were installed. Due to this addition, our electrical circuit in the breakfast area was unable to support these new units, the refrigerator, microwave, juice machine, coffee maker, and waffle machine. We had no choice but to remove the optional waffle machine for the purpose of the circuit. I apologize that this is an inconvenience to you. I have forwarded your feedback regarding our menu change to Marriott International for further review.

Again, I appreciate you taking the time to send us your feedback. By doing so, you help us to see what areas we can improve.

We are proud to be your hotel of choice when in Jefferson City, and look forward to serving you again.
Blainville, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013

I needed to stay another night in Jeff City at the last minute for a customer and moved from another local hotel that was in the middle of renovation. I can tell you that the staff, room and everything else at the property was very nice! I will definitely make this my hotel for each return to Jefferson City

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. We value each our guest's opinions, and appreciate your willingness to share yours.

I'm pleased to see that you made the choice to move to our property for your final night in Jefferson City. We work hard as a staff to ensure our guests enjoy a clean and comfortable atmosphere when they stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and plan to return.

We are proud to be your hotel of choice in Jefferson City, and look forward to serving you again, soon.
Branson, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2013

Great decor, comfy bed, super helpful and friendly evening staff, very clean and a decent breakfast. For a state capitol with lots of travelers, Jeff City hotels can be pretty iffy. This is the best one I have stayed at so far, including the ones with much bigger price tags. Ignore the bad reviews, They have obviously done some major updating in the recent past.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to complete this survey and send us your feedback. We value our guest's opinions, and appreciate your willingness to share yours.

I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed your visit to Jefferson City, and to our property. We work hard to ensure each of our guests find a comfortable and clean atmosphere waiting for them. Your kind words regarding the state of the hotel and friendliness and helpfulness of staff are appreciated, and will be shared.

We are pleased to be your hotel of choice when returning, and look forward to serving you again.
Jefferson City, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2013

I had my daughter's birthday sleepover at Fairfield Inn & Suites this last weekend and had not ever stayed at this hotel before but it was a great experience! The evening/night front desk staff members were great! The girls' loved them both. The room we had originally was nice but small due to the dividing wall so we were able to switch rooms to fit everyone in more comfortable (this was the idea of the front desk member; I hadn't even mentioned it!). Both rooms were extremely clean. The lobby was very useful for us since we brought pizza in for supper and clean.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback. It was our pleasure to host your daughter's event. I'm happy to see that you, her and her friends each enjoyed your time here with us.

We work hard to ensure our guests enjoy their visits to Jefferson City in a clean and comfortable environment. I'm please to hear that you think of us in this regard. Thank you again.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Parkville, Missouri
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

This property has great access and proximity to most destinations in Jefferson City, including the Capitol. But the property is worn, tired and a bit depressing. The lobby area has an overwhelming smell of the clorinated pool. The elevators are dirty and there was grim around the base boards of my room molding. The walls could use a good washing as well. Someone needs to tell the housekeeping staff tht there is more to cleaning than changing the beds and washing out the basins.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for the third floor, otherwise the hallways and footsteps above you will keep you...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Aaron_Friedewald, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Jefferson City, responded to this review, 12 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to send us your valuable feedback. We utilize each guest comment as an opportunity to improve our property.

I've relayed this information to my Executive Housekeeper, who along with myself, will investigate your comments regarding the baseboards. I apologize that your room was not cleaned to your satisfaction. This obviously came as a shock to me, as most of our travelers rave about how clean our property is.

We have a rigorous deep cleaning program that cycles the entire property once a quarter. Walls and baseboards and included in this program, along with many areas the average traveler would never know existed. We take cleanliness very seriously, and strive for excellence in this area on a consistent basis. Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention. It will be investigated and addressed immediately.

I hope this matter does not detour to you from staying with us in the future. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.
Overland Park, Kansas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

Just stayed at the Fairfield Inn at Jeff City. The front desk staff was very helpful and friendly. The lobby looked nice and then when I entered the elevator I thought I made a big mistake choosing this hotel for the night. The carpet in the elevator looked horrible. The walls were marked...just seemed very dirty and looked like nobody had given any attention to it for months. To my surprise though, I got off the elevator and the halls and my room were just the opposite....very clean! The carpet everywhere else looked new. Why you wouldn't have a better looking elevator when people just stand there and look around while waiting is something I don't understand. The hotel seems better managed than that to me.

The room was very nice with the typical amenities...desk with free internet, nice TV, good bed, decent sized bathroom, shower, etc.

The breakfast was pretty weak. They've done away with the waffles (always my favorite at the free breakfast hotels) and gone to mass produced scrambled eggs and sausage. They really need to make some improvements on this. The room was $100 plus tax, so it's not like your're staying at a really cheap hotel....the breakfast sure feels that way though.

The pool and whirlpool area looked nice. They have snacks and beverages that you can purchase 24/7 which is convenient.

If they clean up the elevator and improve the breakfast, I would move the rating to Very Good.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
First, let me thank you for taking the time to complete this survey and send us your feedback. We take guest comments very seriously, and utilize them as opportunities to improve.

I appreciate you bringing the matter of the elevator to our attention. Obviously, this area gets much more traffic than most at our property. We've had around 2,000 guests throughout the passed week at our property, making it difficult to access this area for carpet cleaning. I've arranged for this area to be deep cleaned as of this morning. Again, my apologies for the state it was in.

As for breakfast, Marriott makes several changes throughout the year, every year. Most are subtle, when we actually need to point out the changes, while others are sizeable. The most recent change was to the new hot menu. As you have pointed out, in place of our waffle iron is now two chafer dishes serving scrambled eggs and sausage. We've also added fresh cut fruit, whole wheat toast, and pancake and sausage on a stick. The purpose of which was to add a healthier alternative to the Jimmy Dean Breakfast Biscuit sandwiches that were the main menu feature previously.

Again, we appreciate you providing your feedback. I sincerely hope these inconveniences do not prevent you from booking with us again in the future. We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again.