Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Jefferson City
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Stayed for 3 days & 2 nights for WIC Convention & the staff had so many Challenges!! But handled all of them with grace and made us feel right at home. We had our stay while they're preparations for renovations were going on, & a main water line burst in Jeff City. The staff was kind and took care of everybody's needs with smiles. Even tho I am sure they couldn't wait to get home. I can't wait to go back next year!! And see how the renovations turned out!! Hope your stay is as wonderful as mine was!

Room Tip: The view from the 9th floor can't be beat!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Angela E

Reviewed 24 October 2012

This place really knows its stuff. Very clean and nice surroundings. Pool well-maintained (hot tub was down for service). PET-FRIENDLY!! They welcomed my 80 lb sweetie with smiles. Friendly staff. Knowledgeable front desk. Ability to handle a VERY large group of people very efficiently. Check-in was a snap. AND throw in a little extra curve ball... a water main break which affected a good chunk of the city for several days! Capitol Plaza took it all in stride. They announced that all the in-room water bottles would now be complimentary during the water issue, made bottled water available at multiple stations, made adjustments in menu with ease, and helped everyone feel as comfortable as possible. I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank DanD99
Reviewed 19 October 2012

This Place is absolutely disgusting! Carpet is so old and dirty it is wrinkled and dried out. Stains range from blood and other body fluids to who knows what. Bathrooms are always dirty. Vents are filled with green crud, and there are always hairs that didnt belong to me. I was forced to stay there for work, and seriously considered paying out of pocket for another hotel. On top of the dank dirty rooms, I had personal items go missing. When management was confronted they claimed the housekeeper had been with them for years, so clearly I had lost it and they would come to my room and search for the item. Rooms were never vaccumed as the same crumbs from the previous occupant were there all week long, and will probably remain for the next occupant. The restaraunt is a joke, and for food to actually be hot is a miracle. On 2 occasions I waited 30 minutes to get a menu, due to poor staffing. Which is sad as the groups were scheduled to be at the facility during the specific times. The elevators are both rarely working, and the staircases are scarey and disgusting. The hot tub has been broke and haphazardly covered with plywood for over 3 months now. There have been cases of bed bugs in the past, and it is clear to see why. Management spends more time covering for their pitiful staff and facility than they do trying to fix or CLEAN anything. This hotel could be a nice place and probably was 20 years ago, before they stopped cleaning it and caring. This place should be shut down, and completely renovated, it is an absolute joke! I would not pay 1 cent of my own money to stay at a place like this. The Best Western and Comfort Suites are a million times better and Clean!

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank POgk
CMac54, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2012

I am truly sorry that your stay at our hotel was unsatisfactory.
Providing a safe, clean and comfortable environment for our guests and employees is of the utmost importance to hotel management. As a part of our hotel quality policies and procedures, we regularly review and conduct ongoing measures to ensure exemplary on-site cleanliness, health and safety standards are maintained. We have received confirmation from internal and outside experts that the past reports of bed bugs have been appropriately handled.
In response to some of your other concerns, I can confirm that there is a room renovation scheduled to begin next month, and that a full modernization of the passenger elevators last month has them working faster and more efficiently than ever.
Your review will be discussed among our management team immediately to ascertain what steps we need to take to remedy the service lapses that you describe. We take your comments very seriously and will work hard to overcome any deficiencies.

Reviewed 5 September 2012

We spent Labor Day weekend in Jeff City touring the old State Penitentiary and the Capitol among other things.....our stay at the Capitol Plaza was great! We arrived early and were able to get into our room before actual check in time and the man at the desk upgraded us to a 2 room suite since the hotel wasn't busy that weekend. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. Then only negative was the freezer portion of the mini fridge had a build up of ice but that didn't interfere with keeping our beverages cold. We really enjoyed our stay at this property. Would recommend it and will stay here again if our travels take us to Jeff City!

Room Tip: We were in Rm 918....no complaints other than the mini fridge ice but it didn't make a differenc...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Justbreathe2000
CMac54, Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

We are happy to hear that your recent stay in Jeff City was a positive experience. The staff at The Capitol Plaza Hotel and Conference Center is proud of our hotel and proud of our city.

We have, of course taken care of defrosting the freezer compartment on the mini fridge in the room. I apologize that this was overlooked.

That is great that we were able to upgrade you to a suite. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to hosting you again. We will soon have newly renovated rooms to offer as well!

Reviewed 25 August 2012

We booked this hotel for a business meeting. First, I want to hit the good points. We had a small reception with drinks and appetizers in one of the meeting rooms. The appetizers were good and the bartender and waitress were very nice and friendly. When our scheduled time came to an end and the attendees wanted to keep visiting, we were allowed to use the room as long as we wanted.

I had breakfast in the hotel and it was adequate, nothing special. The service was good and the food was received in a timely fashion. There was a breakfast buffet also, but I didn't try that.

Now to the not so good parts of our stay. The hotel is looking very tired and run down. The carpet in the main lobby and meeting rooms appeared to be fairly new, but the doors are so beat up that you have to wonder how they can just overlook it. It's called paint and they should use some.

The meeting room was so hot that I had to ask someone to check if the a/c was even working. When they did check it, they just turned the blowers on high. It was so loud that people couldn't be heard during the meeting no matter how loud they talked.

Our room though was the worst. I can only pray that the attendees had better bedding than we did. When we turned down the bed, it appeared that a full size blanket had been turned sideways in an attempt to cover a king size bed. It was ridiculous. About six inches on one side of the bed had absolutely no blanket on it at all and the top of the blanket came up to mid-chest on my husband. The blanket was worn out at that. We froze most of the night and neither of us got much sleep. I'm short so at least I could scoot down to the bottom of the bed to cover up a little, but my 6'2" husband did not have that option. In addition, there was no second sheet to even cover up the blanket, which totally grosses me out because I know they did not wash that blanket after being used by someone else, who probably froze to death in that bed with that blanket.

Best of all though was the security. When I walked by the side door on my way back to my room after breakfast, there sat the security guard, sound asleep, mouth open, snoring. I really, really wanted to take a picture and post it, but then I thought he might get fired. While he probably needs to be, I don't want to be responsible for it.

If you are considering this hotel for a business function, don't. There will not be a next time for us.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank jonzgirl

We are truly sorry to hear of your displeasure with your room and meeting accommodations at our hotel.

We work hard to deliver the products and services that our valued guests have come to expect from a John Q Hammons property. Sometimes we miss the mark, which was apparent during your stay.

I am pleased to report that we do have a guest room renovation project scheduled for next month and that we have added to our maintenance and engineering staff to focus on continued improvement of our product including a number of the items you mentioned in your review.

While I believe the "security" individual you observed was no longer on duty, the fact remains that this behavior from our staff is unacceptable and we will take appropriate action to ensure it does not reoccur.

We will continue to work hard every day to earn the respect and trust of our meeting planners, and will soon be able to offer them an upgraded product as well.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

This place was horrible...i checked in on aug 6th and left on the 17th (training)...when I got on the elevator there was a white sticky substance on the #1 button...whatever it was remained there the entire two weeks...to top it off there was only one working elevator so crowds of ppl would be in the lobby waiting...our rooms were never vacuumed and the customer service was poor all the way around...and the worst of it all...BED BUGS!!! 10 of us were bitten by bed bugs...the health dept came out and ONLY TREATED THREE ROOMS!!! This was a horrible experience and I would NEVER set foot in that awful place again...let alone refer it to my worse enemy!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Retropleasure
CMac54, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2012

The hospitality team here is very concerned about this review and focused on the comfort of our valued guests and the cleanliness of our hotel.
I'm sorry we did not have the opportunity to address your concerns with your daily housekeeping service while you were a guest here, as we most certainly would have done so.
The elevator modernization project that was wrapping up at the time of your stay is now complete, and I am happy to report that our passenger elevators are now fully operational and more efficient than ever; transporting our guests more quickly and eliminating the wait times that you alluded to.
I certainly understand your concern with respect to bed bugs. As you know, these insects travel and can be introduced into any hotel at any time. This is not a condemnation of the housekeeping of any establishment, but a fact. This hotel does not spare expense in the training of our team to identify the problem, the professional inspection by a licensed certified entomologist to ensure we have no "uninvited guests" and the immediate thermal remediation in any guest room that has been identified as positive for bed bugs. This process is not done by the health department, but by experts in this field. A thorough inspection of our guest rooms by experts, using a canine, trained in the detection of bed bugs was completed as recently as a week ago. Based on the inspection and with the caveat noted above (that these insects can be introduced into a hotel at any time), I am confident that this is not the problem that you seem to indicate in your review.
I regret any inconvenience that you experienced during your stay at our hotel and appreciate the opportunity to improve the product and services we offer our valued guests.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

I am a business traveller and i have experienced all sorts of hotels and motels in my time. This ranks as one of the worst. My first room smelled like someone was using it as a hair salon and mold factory all on one. There were large red stains on the carpeting which was also bunching up and seperating from the walls. Blogged of mold could be found from the bathroom to the bedroom along the walls and the ceiling. A remarkable group of stains ranging from what looked like blood to semen could be found on the bedding and pillows. And as the topper, a stain which resembled dried urine graced the wall. After my stay, I got my parting gift, big bites covering my arms, back and face. While the doctor could say for sure that they were bedbugs, it was his best guess. Avoid at all costs!

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank jakesales

The professional staff and management at this hotel are always eager to do our utmost to provide exceptional service to all of our valued guests. I am sorry that this issue was not brought to our attention at the time of stay. We would certainly have made every effort to resolve the issues described.

Providing a safe and comfortable environment for our guests and employees is of the utmost importance to hotel management. As a part of our hotel quality policies and procedures, we regularly review and conduct ongoing measures to ensure exemplary on-site health and safety and cleanliness standards are maintained.

I should add that all of our guest rooms are scheduled for renovation next month, and a licensed and certified entomologist has inspected our facility and pronounced it to be "bed bug free".