“Great place to stay in Jefferson City, MO!”

Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Jefferson City
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Mertrell(?) Nickens has gone above & beyond to accommodate special requests for me when I have stayed here every other month over the past year or so. He is very professional & courteous interacting with me, making my visit virtually stress free & more pleasant!!! He deserves special recognition for providing the kind of great customer service that we all hope to get when traveling, but typically do NOT receive.

• Stayed: March 2014
3  Thank LAJDavis
CMac54, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Thank you for your kind comments about our associate, Mertrell Nickens. So often the positive things get over looked, and it was great to hear your comments.
Our team works hard every day and it is a great reward to have this kind of recognition for one of our own.
Thank you also for chosing to stay with us here at the Capitol Plaza Hotel. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to offering you our hospitality on your next trip to Jeff City.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We recently stayed in a Jr Suite over the weekend of Feb 15th. I have to say the room itself was clean and the location was excellent. However the following was bad: 1. Incredibly thin walls where we heard partying until 1am due to a fundraiser going on that evening. 2. The AC would not turn on without blowing out heat which required us to call about getting a fan in the room. Front desk told us this was normal during the winter, but the heat was too hot and when we turned it off the room was incredibly stuffy and had a odor to it. 3. During the call front desk informed us there were no fans in the hotel to supply. Luckily, the window opened up a crack to get some sort of colder air into the room. 4. We decided to make the best of it and rent a movie but the rental box on the tv was not working. Maintenance came up promptly to replace it but after replacing the box the TV itself didn't work and would not change channels afterwards leaving us with just the hotel preview channel. We were told by maintenance we would be without a TV because they were bolted to the desk, no offer of moving us to a different room, or a couple drinks in the bar to watch tv (this was at 7pm this occurred). 5. The tub did not drain or rather it drained pretty slow. By the time we left the tub was still half full with water. 6. Lastly, we bought the Bed and Breakfast package on their website. If you are staying here on weekends do not purchase! We were told the package was not available on the weekends by the front desk the next morning and we could only receive a discount on their breakfast. The package was supposed to include free breakfast for 2 to your room or at the restaurant, not a discount. It was only about 10-15 dollars however it was how it was handled that was unfortunate as there was a refusal to discount my overall bill the amount.

Overall, there was just too many little things wrong with this hotel that compounded into a negative experience. What made it worse was having to hear an insincere apology multiple times from the front desk with no action on their part to solve any situation. Unless you have business in the Capitol area early in the morning I would highly recommend not staying here. And if you do have business in the Capitol there is another hotel right down the road to consider.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Steve L
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed at the Capital Plaza in Jefferson City Missouri for five days Jan. 7 to 12 2014. Rooms were very clean. The service and hospitality of the staff was outstanding. two of the staff that made our stay so great were John Jones and Kristal. Enjoyed our stay. This is the best. Would Highly recommend.

2  Thank Terry B
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel on Friday, January 10, 2014 and was very disappointed in my stay. I was awake all night long because of excessive noise caused by children running and screaming in the hallway all night long. I called the front desk lady at 10:13 PM to report excessive noise of children running and screaming in the hallway and children were still running and screaming in the hallway at 12:15PM. I came to this hotel to sleep and rest for long drive early next morning and did not get any sleep at all. Please choose another hotel in Jefferson City to stay at unless you are totally deaf or you like excessive noise in room. I will not stay at this hotel again unless I am assured this situation will never happen again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank rickh777
CMac54, General Manager at Capitol Plaza Hotel & Convention Center Jefferson City, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2014

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at the Capitol Plaza Hotel. I am very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction.
The hotel hosted the annual Blue Grass Festival among other lively groups and activities on the weekend of your stay.
I can certainly understand your frustration and do apologize that you were not alerted to the group activities in our hotel when you made your reservation.
I assure you that the late night activity and noise level that you experienced is atypical, and I will discuss your concerns with our management team and security staff to develop a plan to prevent this conflict in the future. We strive to create a positive stay for ALL of our guests and will continue to work toward that goal.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

We live part of the year 35 minutes from Jefferson City Missouri, and part of the year in the Republic of Panama.
This horrifying incident happened in May at the Capitol Plaza Hotel in Jefferson City MO when I was returning with 3 of my grandchildren from a train excursion to KC Crown Center. I woke up that morning at 5:00 am to pack up the children & take the train back Jefferson City MO, (where we arrived about noon). 2 grandchildren went home with their mother and I stayed in Jefferson City with 1 granddaughter who had a gymnastic class at Capitol City Cheer at 4:30.... We were both exhausted so her mother (my daughter in law) and I decided instead of me driving back and forth to my home I would ask for the day rate at Capitol Plaza Hotel so we could take a nap before my grand daughters gymnastics class (making sense to save cost of gas and over an hour driving)
To make a long story short we checked into the hotel and were awoken by 2 policemen with guns who came with the sole purpose of arresting me as a child abuser and taking me to jail...it was terrifying... When I explained to the police, they called my daughter in law but told me straight away they were given false information from the manager at the hotel when she called them
1. That I told my grand daughter not to look at the cameras in Spanish (we speak Spanish and I said something else not even similar to her...I told her not to put her mouth on the reception desk
2. That I had driven all night from the state of California (not true)
The policemen were just doing their job based on the information they were given...had the manager not said those things they would have still come to check out the situation, but they said they would have treated me very differently...with the possibility that I could be innocent...which I would have understood 100% as the safety of children does need to be protected...I would have agreed that it was a good idea to check out a suspicious situation. Secondly I would have understood if the manager had shown any remorse for transmitting false information to the police, but she never accepted she said those things until she saw it in black and white in the police report. I asked her for a refund of the $50 I spent (as there was no rest involved) and angrily she told me they were just doing their job (adding untruths to the story?) but she would refund my money. Six months later she still had not, I had been back and forth to Panama and was back in Missouri in November and decided to spend the night in Jefferson City at the Capitol Plaza Hotel with the other 2 grandchildren (there are movies t and more things to do with them in Jefferson City than in our town.) When I checked in I gave the front desk my name the children's name the parents name to be on the safe side... buy going back to the hotel brought back the incident in May and that I had not received the refund the manager promised, or an apology... talked to the accountant, the manager on duty (a different person) and I told the girl at the front desk who translated the Spanish incorectly that day in May that caused the police to treat me like a criminal that "she should be sorry or someday she would be treated like that by someone and that she would remember how she treated me that had they stuck to the facts I would have been treated with more respect as a human being, instead of coming with guns to arrest me. Had the staff admitted they had been wrong in some way I would have put the incident aside, and not said a word, had I been given willingly the refund that would have been that...I had to call the manager again about the refund later that week, she was angry and said she would finally give me the refund but that I could never come back to the hotel because I had been rude to the girl who falsely translated what I had said...I then wrote to the main office in Springfield MO to tell them what happened to me at the Capitol Plaza Hotel.and they responded they would back up the manager in her decision to not allow me to go back to the hotel instead of understanding why I would be upset, and if any one of them were treated by the police like a criminal as a direct result of misinformation the manager generated, how they would feel. I even told them if I went back to the hotel I would agree not to mention the incident again...due to this incident I would rate the staff a super 'TERRIBLE" and say they treat guests inhumanely...a dangerous situation

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
8  Thank Donna A
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times over the years. It is above average. Great location in Jeff City & easy to get there. The rooms are very roomy. This time I had a king room with a foldout couch. The mattress is hard - okay for my husband, not okay for my bad hip. The bathrooms are clean. I was surprised to find out this is a John Hammond/Holiday Inn property...didn't see that logo anywhere.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The food was very good, not overly pricey. They had a hot breakfast buffet, but we ordered off the menu. But the waitress service was lousy...almost comical.

For my money, it was a great deal... $60 thru Hotwire. But i think rooms are usually $100-$130.

Room Tip: Elevators can take a while if the hotel is busy, so lower floors have quicker access. Also, if you h...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Gubes
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We spent 2 nights at the hotel. It is in a nice part of town with plenty of parking. The room were nice but it seems the rooms could use a little updating. The king bed was very comfortable and the room was very quiet so we got a good night sleep. Good location to everything in town.

Room Tip: Might try to get a room on upper floors away from main floor where they have activities
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends