“Cricket serenade”

Best Western The Oasis at Joplin
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Joplin
Reviewed 14 October 2013

This is a very nice BW hotel & it's conveniently located off the highway. The lobby is being remodeled and considering what the staff has to put up with, they do an admirable job. The breakfast buffet was a real breakfast with hot entrees and good coffee which makes an already reasonable price for a room even better.
The room itself was very comfortable and clean with one exception... crickets. The first thing I do when entering a hotel room is a quick inspection. Flashlight search under the bed, behind dressers and tables and anywhere else critters could be hiding. This time, a flashlight wasn't even needed. Three large crickets were hiding in the bathroom and on 2 occasions during the night I woke up to the sound of crickets in my room; for a moment I thought I was camping. I brought this to the attention to the desk clerk and was told that during the previous weeks there had been an invasion of crickets from Oklahoma and the hotel as well as surrounding businesses had been inundated with thousands of crickets. One of the staff almost quit because she thought the influx of crickets was right out of revelations. :)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Nathan N, Manager at Best Western The Oasis at Joplin, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Hi Rik,
It is great to see that you really enjoyed your stay with us besides for the "cricket serenade." I do assure you that problem is much better then it was and all of our staff is still with us. I'm glad that you got to enjoy the wonderful deluxe breakfast and it met all your expectations. I truly hope that anytime you are in Joplin that you will decide to stay with us. Hopefully it won't be at a time where we are overrun by crickets again.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

older location the facilities have some minor flaws, but great service and reasonable pricing. remodeling in progress, but still very nice. close to the freeway and convention center is across the street.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thanks for the review Dean! It is very nice that our hotel sets right off the interstate because it makes it easy to find for those who have been driving all day and just want to get some sleep. We hope to see you again anytime that you pass through Joplin.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Me and my family have stayed in this hotel twice. The room is nothing spectacular, but it's clean and doesn't have anything wrong with it that would keep me from coming back. Only 2 small notes, there was a patched hole in our bathroom door and the stool was wobbly. Stuff I can deal with for the price they charge. If you looking for a hotel with comfort and where you will spend a lot of time in your room go elsewhere, but BEST VALUE in town here.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you so much for your review Cynthia. I'm glad that you decided to stay with us a second time and hope you will continue to stay with us whenever you are in Joplin. I have actually looked into the two issues that you had and had my maintenance department check them both out to get fixed properly. Also, if you are ever need to stay a couple nights then we do have some two room suites that are great for extended stay guest.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I always enjoy staying with the Best Western Brand, I always get a good nights sleep as the beds are always comfortable and the rooms are always clean. We think the breakfast idea was genius. It is nice to know that you can have a bite to eat then get directly on the road, without having to stop somewhere first.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Nathan N, Manager at Best Western The Oasis at Joplin, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2013

Hi Brenda, I am really glad that we could live up to the Best Western name and you enjoyed your stay. We are all very proud to be part of such a wonderful brand. It really is nice and convienent to grab a good breakfast and hit the road and that is why we strive to provide this wonderful option for all of our guest.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

This is your typical, average to below average hotel found alongside interstate highways near busy interchanges. It's not a bad hotel, but there seemed to be several better ones nearby. I had made a reservation, and arrived late at night, so changing after I saw it was not really an option. What made an average hotel below average was the lobby was completely gutted with blocked off with remodeling. Check-in was at a small temporary desk crammed into an already too small breakfast area. Then, after a long trip at the end of a longer day, I found myself climbing external stairs to the second floor carrying a heavy suitcase and computer bag as there was no elevator to be found. The room was very cramped and crowded with junk not needed for what this hotel is - an easy, cheap stopover on a road trip. There was probably less than 18 inches between the edge of a small refrigerator and the corner of the entrance way into the tiny bathroom area. The room had that "Congratulations! You are the millionth sweaty traveler to have stayed in this room" smell, but the a/c blew fast and cold. So fast in fact, that the cheap, thick curtains were lifted from the bottom so high as to potentially allow people walking by to peer into the room as I slept. I maneuvered the oversized, unnecessary chair against the window and wedged the trash can in between it and the window to pin the curtains down. If you just need a bed for the night, this hotel is an okay stay and a reasonable value for what it is. If you want anything more, you'll be happier looking elsewhere.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo

Dear Jack,
I would really like to apologize that we did not exceed your expectatations and that you were not able to enjoy your stay with us. It is important for us to hear about all of our guest stays, in order for us to make necessary improvements. I do understand that our lobby is not very appealing at the moment but we are under a remodel and it will look wonderful when it is completed. If you decide to stay with us again you can give me a call at the hotel and I will do all I can to get you a room on the ground floor next time. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Overall pleased with our stay, and will plan to stay there when future travel takes us through the area. Should be even better once their renovations are complete. Small, but comfortable room at a decent rate. Nice selection of breakfast items.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your review Patricia!! We really enjoy being able to hear about our guest stay and it is good to know you enjoyed it. We look forward to the next time you are in the area and decide to stay with us. Hopefully we will be even closer to having the renovations done and you will get a chance to see the finished product.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

I have always chosen Best Western because they are pet friendly and I always travel with my best friend. The hotel is currently under renovations and updating but don't let that keep you away. The hotel staff is very helpful and treat you like a special guest. I have always found the beds to be very comfortable at Best Westerns. The room are always very clean.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Nathan N, Manager at Best Western The Oasis at Joplin, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2013

I am glad that you had a chance to stay at this Best Western and would like to thank you for your loyalty to the brand. It is great to read these reviews so we know that we are doing things right. I hope if you come back through Joplin you will stay with us and get a chance to see our new lobby and breakfast area.