“Nasty Place”

Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Joplin
Marshalltown, Iowa
“Nasty Place”
Reviewed 14 November 2013

We arrived in Joplin exhausted after a seven hour drive and checked out two different motels. We decided to stay at Sunrise since we knew the beds at the other motel had no support. After checking two of their rooms that were vey dark, we decided on the one with the double bed as it had a small table that would be perfect for the laptop, it had a decent TV, a fridge, and a microwave. Two of the lamps had no bulbs in them and the phone didn't work: the staff was very nice and said it would be taken care of and we paid for two nights. After getting a bite to eat, we came back to find one of the staff members on the floor checking the outlet by the lamp and then he left. We tried the internet several times and couldn't access it, we finally gave up and went to bed. Next morning-still no internet-complained to management and was told they'd check on it. Went to get some breakfast, came back-no internet. Upon looking around more closely, the curtains were filthy, the lampshades tattered and stained, and the cord going to the one lamp had been cut and the bare wires were twisted together with no electrical tape. We left to try to get a room at another motel, which we did. Returned to the Sunrise to pack up and get out. Since we'd already paid for two nights, we wanted a refund for the night we weren't going to stay. Even though we'd reported no internet service since the night before, the manager said he'd refund the credit card minus a checkout fee. Never again would we consider staying there!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Fernley, Nevada
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Came to town a short trip. Spend two nights. First night not bad but not good. Second night going to bed used restroom, look down saw a bug walking across the floor. Did not sleep well after that. Also we were so close to the freeway that we had to listen to that noise all night both nights. This may be a cheap place to stay but not a good one.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Joplin hotels

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 October 2013

I was nearly put off by the reviews but asked to see the room first. It looked OK & it was. The only 2 things that were a problem was the interior design as the bedspread & carpet clashed. Plus a very stiff washbasin tap. The gentleman who showed me the room was very pleasant. I think it has changed hands as no breakfast was included. Give them a chance & ask to see the room before booking. The general quality of fitments was good. The furniture was a little dated but 'classy' & of good quality. Good location near to many restaurants. Outside needs a bit of sprucing up.

Room Tip: ask to see it first
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stephanie s
Ardmore, Oklahoma
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I arrived late in Joplin on a Wednesdy night too weary to search for a hotel. The first sign on the interstate advertised this place for $39 with a free breakfast so I thought "why not?". I was staying only one night and leaving early so I wasn't too concerned about amenities. The receptioist lady was nice and when I asked what time breakast was served she told me it started at 6:00 am. Perfect for an early start. The room was moderately clean - the bed sheets were clean but threadbare. Ditto for the towels. Noise from I44 is pretty bad. The tv was an old tube model. About what I expected for less than $40. I did not expect to be lied to. At 7:00 am I was ready to hit the road and went to the "breakast room" in the lobby the receptionist had told me about. No one there-no guests-no staff-and no breakfast. Several minutes a later front desk guy showed up so I asked about breakfast. He told me breakfast had been discontinued for several weeks. I told him what I had been told the previous night - he repeated there was no breakfast. I told him the sign said there was and asked for a small refund to cover the cost. He told me the price of the room had been reduced when breakfast was discontinued so there would be no refund. This was an outright lie. The sign - a very old sign that obviously hadn't been changed - advertised $39 rooms and free breakfasts. I can live with a room that isn't the Hilton for $39 but I can't tolerate dishonesty.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank oksooner1
Belleview, Florida
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

This was the most disgusting room I'd ever stayed in. Mold covered bath mat, mildew on the shower curtain, a tick, yes a tick in a bed, dirt filled pool (the pool was filled in with dirt), and a nasty 'continental' breakfast. Yes bread by a toaster and cereal. On a positive note the coffee was good and the staff tried to be helpful. They used liquid plumber right after we check out. If you stay there bring your Hazmat suit.

• Stayed July 2013
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 8 May 2013

I just want to say that the place very sad. The breakfast was just some bread on a metal platter with what looked like yellow wash cloths, that are never cleaned, which, you have to toast yourself and cereal, that looks like it has been there forever. My room was your typical cheap room. Nothing fancy. The staff, however, was great. I was checked in by one of the housekeepers, whom I am guessing was filling in for the front desk attendant, she was nice enough, just not very put together. Later, in the day, I needed ice and went down to the lobby and the front desk lady, Jackie, had a very pleasing disposition and was very helpful. She was dressed very nice (nicer than even the hotel looked) and she never once rushed me or made me feel like I was bothering her. She went out of her way to make my stay welcoming. She remembered why I was here and my name. I really recommend stopping by and meeting this girl. She put a smile on my face and staying in a not so great place was worth it cause of her. She seemed like she knew what she was doing and I think is in management but to her people skills and the way she seems so at ease in her job.

Room Tip: The kind size room by the pool was nice.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank April F
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Check into this hotel. First the service was terrible. The gal at the seems like she doesn't even know what the hell she was doing. Very rude and unproffessional.

When I got into the room. It has this odor smells that makes me want to throw up. The bathroom was dirty, had stans around it. The towels was still wet. Didn't even have a remote control for the tv. The beds was nasty, the pillows smells like s h i t , the cover sheets had so many s h i t stans. And the door couldn't even be shut right. We try to find the phone to contact the front desk to fit our door and there wasn't even a phone in the room. You have to request for a phone. Don't be fool by the website page because it doesnt come with any of that in the room. And you can't cancel ur revs.

• Stayed August 2012