“Best 'higher end' restaurant in the Joplin Metro area”

Wilder's Steakhouse
Ranked #9 of 234 Restaurants in Joplin
Price range: US$17 - US$43
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Wilder's Steakhouse is part of Joplin's past and future. As the third owners of the restaurant we find our selves stewards of a historical piece of the Joplin landscape. Originally opened in 1929 by Mr. Verne Wilder it grew to encompass the 1200 block of main street with banquet facilities, bar, package sales, dining room and featured speak easy functions upstairs. We wish these walls could talk - we have had some really great stories shared by guests of the restaurant. We purchased Wilder's in 1996 and are proud to have uncovered some of the original beauty of the 1908 building we dwell in. As a fine dining restaurant in Joplin we strive to give all of our guests a wonderful dining experience and uphold ourselves to very high standards. Please come in and join us for our hormone and antibiotic free Black Angus Beef or some wonderful Wild Caught Seafood. We are always accepting reservations. See you soon.
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I am born & raised here in Joplin. Been all over the USA in business travel. You simply can't beat the quality of the meal or the level of service at Wilders! And, it's got that 'ol school' 1930's-1940's atmosphere that is seldom found outside KC or Chicago these days! Very classy, the waiters/waitresses are all 'tip-top'. Avg steak will cost you $25-30 plus sides, great wine list and bar as well. Only thing to remember is..............we like the chef to 'plate everything together' rather than 4-5 individual plates for each dish. And an added bonus: The KITCHEN PASS is right next door, and during spring-summer-fall, they usually have some good weekend bands on their outdoor patio. Check it out-you'll be glad you did!
Bryan M.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Way to dark. Had to move the tiny candle on the table to attempt to read the menu. When I asked about lighting, was told turning them up would ruin the effect and mood. Entree I ordered was lobster mac and cheese and was told they were out of macaroni. Who runs out of macaroni? Ended up ordering salmon which was twice the price. (I had my heart set on seafood). Crabbys salmon oscar is much better. With 2 margaritas and tip it was 110.00.

1  Thank Lorie N
Reviewed 3 February 2014

Unique restuarant with a very colorful history that was shared by our awesome waitress Kathryn.
Original 1929 tin cieling and a great wooden bar.
My wife and I were there for a birthday dinner on a Saturday night while in Joplin and we're glad we tried them out.
Classic old school. Dimly lit. Menu has choices for all. We had the artichoke dip appetiser and it was tasty. Particulary enjoyed the soft, warm pita points served with the dip. We both had steaks, 1 filet mignon and 1 blackened rib eye. Both cooked to perfection and they must use prime cuts because they were both fork tender. Also had the truffled mac-n-cheese side that was dee-lish!! Twice baked potatoe was a tad dry. Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our meal and will definately go back again.

Reviewed 19 January 2014

We read the reviews and decided to give this place a try. After all, it seems a trip to a steak house is in order when visiting this part of the country. Don't let the location scare you...it is in a pretty run down and abandoned area of the old downtown. But it is a great place. I personally don't eat beef or pork, but there were plenty of other things to choose from. I had the chicken piccata and it was one large, perfectly done piece of tender chicken, served over linguini. It was delicious and the portion was too large for me to finish. My boyfriend had the filet oscar and he said it was very good as well. The service was excellent, with good recommendations and appropriate attention. Our tab with a couple drafts thrown in was about $95.

Reviewed 11 December 2013

This had to be the best steak I have ever had locally. Our waitress was awesome service was great and the atmosphere was also. Will go back!