“pricey but best in town”

Wilder's Steakhouse
Ranked #11 of 233 Restaurants in Joplin
Price range: US$17 - US$43
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Wilder's Steakhouse is part of Joplin's past and future. As the third owners of the restaurant we find our selves stewards of a historical piece of the Joplin landscape. Originally opened in 1929 by Mr. Verne Wilder it grew to encompass the 1200 block of main street with banquet facilities, bar, package sales, dining room and featured speak easy functions upstairs. We wish these walls could talk - we have had some really great stories shared by guests of the restaurant. We purchased Wilder's in 1996 and are proud to have uncovered some of the original beauty of the 1908 building we dwell in. As a fine dining restaurant in Joplin we strive to give all of our guests a wonderful dining experience and uphold ourselves to very high standards. Please come in and join us for our hormone and antibiotic free Black Angus Beef or some wonderful Wild Caught Seafood. We are always accepting reservations. See you soon.
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Other than the pitiful house salad (iceberg lettuce, shaved carrots, cardboard tomatoes) and generally cold warm 'n serve rolls, the steaks and seafood are best in town, nice atmosphere, especially in the booths. More expensive than good value, but to dress up and go out for something nice, best in town.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My wife and I made the trip to Wilder's a couple of nights ago. Growing up in this area, I've always heard about the history of the building and the great, fine food. I must say, it was quite the interesting little restaurant. You felt the old timey-ness of the building and the history behind it, that I very much liked. Our server was okay, it seemed like to me he didn't give us much attention for he could see we weren't necessarily made of money like most of the patrons after us seemed to be. There's one thing you need to know about Wilder's, if you're not made of money, is the PRICE. It's pretty steep. Know this before going in so stick price won't affect you too much. We though, hey, why not, we earned it. On the menu, it mentions how their steaks were from vegetarian fed, non anti-biotic giving too, cows. In my head, that meant it's going to be really expensive. My wife ordered the 6 oz beef tenderloin, it cost 29$!!! I got the bone in prime rib, it cost 39$ which didn't surprise me for that type of steak it's about that but for her 6 oz to be 29$, that's just a bit on the ridiculous side. I got the house made onion rings and my wife got the twice baked potato. She said it was very delicious but my onion rings, although okay, didn't really hit me as something spectacular, in fact, they were quite greasy. Then our steaks arrived. Her 6 oz steak was reduced to 4 oz, which made the fact it was 29$ even harder to take. My steak looked fabulous and I couldn't wait to get into it. You could tell it was much higher quality meat. It was cooked very well, juicy, proper seer markings on both sides. However, there didn't seem to be much of a taste too it. I like to taste meat, but it didn't have that flavor, which the reason could be since it was better meat and not the kind we get at the store that could of had an impact on it but still, it wasn't that taste you get from the grill. Also, there didn't seem to be any seasoning on the meat. I don't know if that's how it's supposed to be at fine restaurants but I like to have a bit of flavoring on it. It was 24 oz so it filled me up pretty quick. We got our check and it was 72$ and all we got was the steak, just water to drink. Looking at our bank account, the server didn't even put the tip on there. I don't know if it was because we didn't tip enough to him or what but they didn't take it out. Our server was nice enough and all, but he always had this vibe that he didn't want to be bothered by us peasents. He probably knew he wasn't going to get a huge tip like he might get from the more well to do customers in the restaurant ta the time. It took him awhile to get our water and our bread or any refills we may need. That was a big let down. You need to treat all your customers as important. Over-all, I was a bit disappointed with Wilder's. I might go back to try it again, it could of been just a fluke and I got there on a bad night, very possible. I won't judge a place on one account, I'll give it another try.

1  Thank wcguy29
Reviewed 24 February 2014

I would have given the place four circles if the service would have been better. It took about 30-45 mins to get our appetizers. The friendliness of the service was fine it was just the waiting time that was the problem. The bruschetta and the scallop appetizer we had were wonderful and my son loved his blackened rib-eye with lobster. My steak was very tasty as were the brussel sprouts and the spinach. I have only been to Joplin twice and am glad I found a great place to eat. If I ever go back to Joplin I will definitely be back.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I am born & raised here in Joplin. Been all over the USA in business travel. You simply can't beat the quality of the meal or the level of service at Wilders! And, it's got that 'ol school' 1930's-1940's atmosphere that is seldom found outside KC or Chicago these days! Very classy, the waiters/waitresses are all 'tip-top'. Avg steak will cost you $25-30 plus sides, great wine list and bar as well. Only thing to remember is..............we like the chef to 'plate everything together' rather than 4-5 individual plates for each dish. And an added bonus: The KITCHEN PASS is right next door, and during spring-summer-fall, they usually have some good weekend bands on their outdoor patio. Check it out-you'll be glad you did!
Bryan M.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

Way to dark. Had to move the tiny candle on the table to attempt to read the menu. When I asked about lighting, was told turning them up would ruin the effect and mood. Entree I ordered was lobster mac and cheese and was told they were out of macaroni. Who runs out of macaroni? Ended up ordering salmon which was twice the price. (I had my heart set on seafood). Crabbys salmon oscar is much better. With 2 margaritas and tip it was 110.00.

1  Thank Lorie N