“Short-Sheeted at the Sleep Inn”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Sleep Inn

Sleep Inn
Ranked #8 of 23 Hotels in Joplin
Lakewood, Colorado
“Short-Sheeted at the Sleep Inn”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2011

9 night stay, room 128, south wing-quiet-away from interstate
Immediately noted cracked shower floor by drain-told mgt- was told would check it out
no response & no offer to move me to another room. A Bad Start for a 9 nite stay.
At check-in clearly told clerk I would want FULL service every 3 days; their first try
resulted in no bath mat,no fresh towel, no replacement soap, shampoo or conditioner, and
no replacement watercup. Being wary of the poor, poor room service, I made it clear I wanted full service; to check on the service I marked the sheets and put all other
linens on the floor. On my return, in the evening, I had the same marked sheets and again not a full set of toiletries. I removed all linens to clerk who stated that service would be done in the AM; totally unacceptable' so got fresh linens and toiletries and made up
my own room. Additional critiscism is that the usual bland breakfast was especially
boring as the hot selection never varied day to day.
Pluses: two daily papers, USA Today & Wall Street Journal
Another example of the quickly deteriorating Choice Hotel properties

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2011

We read past reviews and were worried about the noise, but with the normal room air/heat on, we heard nothing. The room was nice, and we enjoyed a good breakfast. Supper at The Iron Skillet right across the parking lot.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gogirlWisconsin
Crown Point, Indiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2010

On our way to OKC we stopped for the night at the Sleep Inn in Joplin, MO. We were pulling a large trailer and the fact that they had a dedicated lot for trailers sounded perfect. The hotel is very close to the highway and a large truck stop. Consequently it is also very noisy.
Even though there were very few guests we were put in a room that was the closest to the highway as possible. It sounded like the trucks were driving by the window all night. On the way home we by-passed this hotel and found another at the next exit north with plenty of room for our trailer and no highway noise. Even had a Cracker Barrel in walking distance.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank jerryj46307
Banbury
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2010

We stayed one night at the sleep inn after picking up a discount booklet from an interstate rest area. The hotel was fairly basic, but clean and comfortable. The breakfast was eat all you can buffet style, and they had a waffle machine so we could make our own fresh waffles , yummy!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2009

The staff was very friendly. The room was okay. I thought it was a little pricey for the way the hotel looked. In need of some repairs. Rugs were raveling and had stains on them.
We paid $65.00 for the room and it should have been more like $40.00.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with family
Peoria, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2009

I stopped here during a move. The location was exceptionally easy-on, easy-off I-44 with available parking for a DIY moving truck (U-H**l or P*nsk*). The location was also right next to a major trucker's stop (Iron Skillet) with DOT weigh-stations on either side a mile or two in either direction. This means there are a huge number of rigs parked behind the Iron Skillet, and their accompanying loud exhaust.

However, I was surprised that the walls and windows were exceptionally well insulated. The highway noise isn't to be heard inside the hotel room. Only the occasional truck with very loud exhaust could be heard, and these were the ones pulling out of the Iron Skillet and attempting to gain speed to merge onto the highway. During the evening, I only heard 4 or 5 such trucks.

No noise problems from sources within the motel.

I had a King room, smoking. It was a little on the small side, lacking a designated "sitting area" with table and chair. Otherwise it was large enough for the bed, 2 side tables, desk and armoire. Bathroom was shower only, but a rather large bay about 4x5 feet.

Room was clean, well maintained and in good repair. Sleep Inn certainly doesn't scrimp on repairs and upgrades. Bed was comfortable with no sag spots, clean sheets.

Sleep Inn advertises that the Iron Skillet is "on premises." It isn't. You must leave the motel and walk next door. A very short trip, but it isn't inside the hotel. Sleep Inn offers typical free continental breakfast and they attend to it every few minutes to clean up after guest and replenish stock.

All-in-all, a very good value and no complaints, though I did have to tune the bed-side radio to "white noise" to mask the odd loud exhaust from some trucks. Once set before going to bed, I didn't hear any more noise from outside and slept extremely well. I must emphasize this noise was only occasional, perhaps 1% of all the truckers coming and going. Being next to a highway, I had expected far, far worse. This Sleep Inn was a pleasant surprise.

Staff was very attentive and friendly.

Also very close, across the street (wide and very busy) are a couple of more eateries. I may be wrong but I recall them being a W*ndys and a S*bw*y. You'd definitely want to use your car to drive to these locations merely because of the width of the roads and the volume of traffic.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled solo
Independence, MO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2009

I've stayed at this hotel before and it's been consistent with my most recent stay. The room was clean throughout, the bed was comfortable, and the staff friendly and helpful.
The continental breakfast was good, fresh bagel's and pastries, cereals, and the normal fare. They have a waffle machine, which is one of my favorite items for breakfast.
They have very good wireless Internet connections, and a large well lit parking lot. It's very handy if you're hauling a trailer.
The rooms are a little less expensive than other comparable Joplin hotels I've stayed in. Perhaps it's because it's a couple of mile down from the "Range Line Road" strip of hotels and restaurants.
The only reasons I don't rate it excellent, are minor. To me anyway. The hotel sits next to a very busy and large truck stop that has quite a bit of truck traffic. So getting to and from the hotel is usually congested. However, I've never heard any noise from there while in the hotel room.
There is also no elevator, only stairs to access the 2nd floor. But like I said, to me, these are minor things, and I'd recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)