“Great little museum.”

American Royal Museum
Ranked #97 of 155 things to do in Kansas City
More attraction details
Owner description: Museum featuring cattle and agricultural exhibits.
Merriam, Kansas
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great little museum.”
Reviewed 31 March 2013

Did this at the youth rodeo.There is a lot of cool rodeo and parade displays. The tour guides are very friendly and make if a fun time.

Visited October 2012

Bethesda, MD
105 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 84 helpful votes
“Really a review for the bbq event”
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Since the museum was locked when we went to the bbq event, it fits into the rating given. This was the biggest disappointmnet of our KC weekend. Lots of teams cooking bbq, but no good bbq to buy to eat. Many of the cooking team booths had trash all over & people did not seem intersted to talk to attendees. The "market" had about 1/10 of the vendors I expected and some of those present had nothing to do with bbq. What little music I heard was too loud. $14/ticket is a waste of your money.

Visited October 2012
Kansas City, Missouri
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“It was Ok”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

It's an OK attraction. There are some cool events down here too...but not overly exciting....

Overland Park, Kansas
144 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“making cowboys cool”
Reviewed 5 January 2012

a look back at the cow part of the cowtown history, cool, and unique, always a part of the Royal

A TripAdvisor Member
“Wonderful Memories brought tears”
Reviewed 2 August 2002

I visited the museum July 9th, 2002. It was a bittersweet trip as I can remember both the old arenas and the new. I went into the museum, and as I was really interested in the horse show aspects I gave little attention to the cattle. I was looking over the displays and went around to view another one, and out of the corner of my eye I saw a familiar picture. It was identical to one that I grew up seeing daily, the picture of the great Sug Utz on Mimi Genius, a mare owned by my late father, Wyman E. Bennett, and the late Earl B. Noel, of Moberly, Missouri. Oddly enough, I had in my car the large picture of the same shot that hung in my fathers home until his death. I was overjoyed, and my father would have been so touched, and Mr. Noel too, although they both would have been quick to point out that they owned Mimi Genius from 1950 to 1957, not Sug. I grew up knowing the great Saddlebred men of Missouri, Dale Pugh, Jack Baker, Art Simmons, R.S. Palmer, Darrell Wallen, Temple Stephens, and Sonny and Bill Sutton I remember them very vividly. They were all wonderful gentlemen, and as for John Lyons, he has nothing on any of these men, Dale Pugh has him beat any time or place. I had the privilege of working with Dale and Art, and rode with Mr. Stephens, he was in his 80's then, and the film of Art talking was like being with him. The other Utz brothers were also nice, but my favorite was Sug. I can remember The Lemon Drop Kid and I always laugh when I see the Thoroughbred running down the track who is named that now. I wish there had been six times the exhibits, and I feel there will be, and anyone who has any of the mementoes of their American Royal years should send copies to the museum. I can remember feeding the April Hill show string in the early a.m. and praying for the cinnamon truck to open up. When it did whatever groom was lucky enough to get there first would call out, "rolls are ready" I wish I could live it all again.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member