“Great Little Place!”

Price range: US$0 - US$15
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2014

My wife and I ate here Saturday, May 17 after a matinee show of Cirque du Soleil. We had tried to get a reservation at the more highly touted Blue Stem next door, but they were closed for renovations so we made a reservation here instead. I think we did better by coming here! As per other reviews, the space is small but attractive. The staff is hustling all the time so although we never felt rushed, things moved along nicely. We arrived early and opted to eat at the bar rather than wait for a table--another good choice, since that meant we got more opportunity to chat with those around us and with Vic, the terrific bartender with the handlebar mustache. The cocktails are great (I highly recommend the "Uncle Vic") and the short wine list is thoughtfully chosen for both quality and value. The chalkboard menu included a few salads, a couple of appetizers, chicken and beef pot pies (of course), and chicken, pork, and seafood entree's. The entree's range in price from $12-$22. We shared the goat cheese salad--very nice with goat cheese medallions melted into house made crouton crusts. My wife had scallops and I had the pan roasted chicken with mashed potatoes, tender-crisp green beans, and plate full of jus. Both were great: simply prepared but perfectly cooked and full of flavor. We then shared an order of bread pudding; definitely save room for this as it's some of the best I've ever had.

Great upscale comfort food, reasonable prices, friendly staff--what's not to like? We'll definitely be back.

1  Thank Scott M

Reviewed 16 May 2014

I loved it, but it is a small place and not really suited to kids. I say go elsewhere if you have anybody younger than 12 in the group. BUT - great food, great atmsophere, wonderful staff. Absolutely worth going to.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

One of the few restaurants that locals know and consistently eat at but people from out of town might not come to unless someone has recommended it to them. We have eaten here for 5 - 7 years and the food is always excellent. While the menu (chalkboard) is limited, it always has a fish (my favorite), chicken ( my wife's favorite), scallops, and steak dish. They also have their namesake of chicken or turkey pot pie which are wonderful and more than one person can eat. The restaurant is small and reservations especially on weekends are a must. They have been featured on TV several times. The restaurant is small and you typically get involved with talking to people at tables close to you. Their fish dishes are consistently some of the best I have had.

Reviewed 4 May 2014

My husband and I ate here Saturday, May 3. We arrived at 4:53 and waited for them to open at 5 pm. If you are looking for ambience, this is not your place. It is dark and dready. Feels unclean. The red bench at the front window is soiled. Our greeting was "do you have reservations?" Not hello, not hi we are glad you are here. We weren't asked if we had a preference in seating. We were sat at a table with nearly 95% varnish worn off and very small. We watched as staff visited and wondered where our waitress was.

We tried beet salad, spinach/brie tart, and chicken pot pie. We shared all of these as there was nothing else on the 8 entree menu that enterested us. The salad was one-note. No pop in flavor, no complexity, very mundane. The tart was fine, but nothing special. The same for the chicken pot pie. The only vegetables we could find were corn and carrots. No green beans, no peas, nothing else. It was under salted and we are extremely sodium conscious. We asked for salt and pepper.

The bartender in black Carhardt overalls never once smiled. He did however answer my wine question. The 2 glasses of wine was my favorite part of the meal. Sad. Bill was $46.

Theres so many other terrific restaurants in Kansas City that are happy you are there and serve very delicious food. My recommendation is to skip this dungeon.

4  Thank Knobtowngirl
Reviewed 19 April 2014 via mobile

This place is just fabulous. We sat at the bar and the bartender was wonderful. Excellent cocktails and the food was amazing. The mussels and pan roasted chicken are must haves! We finally decided to try this place last minute as a casual date night outing and we're both very glad that we did. Will definitely go back!

1  Thank casantos5081