“Never stay here for a quiet weekend night!”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Lookout Mountain, GA
“Never stay here for a quiet weekend night!”
Reviewed 31 July 2011

Friday night wasn't so bad but Saturday night was pretty much sleepless in Kansas City! I was here for a conference at the trade center which is just 1/2 a block away and very convenient. I called to complain about the hallway noise twice and the first time security came and I could hear the threat to throw the party animals out. When I called the second time security hadn't come by the time I left. The front desk told me that it had been a terrible night both in the hotel and at the front desk. I asked the security guard standing outside as I grabbed a cab at 4:15am and he told me this is in the red light district and well known to have partying problems on the weekends. There is not way to avoid this is your staying there for a conference so my suggestion is to leave before Sat. night!
Room service was timely, but there was only 3 scrimp added to the salad I paid an extra amount for shrimp to be added. One of the other conference attendees told me she was in the old section of the hotel and that it was a little creepy and in need of complete updating.
They do have convenient service for mailing back large boxes and that was pretty easy. So I'll at least give them a 2. By the way the taxi trip to the airport early Sunday morning was $45.00. This is to early for Super Shuttle which as only $18.00 one way from the airport.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
WOLFVILLE
Reviewed 27 July 2011

We stayed at the Marriott and enjoyed the great view of the downtown airport and fireworks. We were there over July 4th and there were fireworks everywhere you looked. The room was spacious and I especially enjoyed the shower. Good water pressure.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed 27 July 2011

A group of us stayed here over the weekend in mid July. We are a young group who really enjoyed the downtown location. It is within walking distance to the P & L District, The Quaff Tavern on Broadway, and The Sprint Center, as well as many other downtown hotspots. There is a park right across the street from the front door. We found a surface parking lot for $5 a block north of the hotel. FYI you don't have to feed the meters on the weekends. The rooms were spacious with a small sitting area near the window. Flat screen TVs in the rooms. Bathrooms are nice. We had double beds in the rooms with 2 beds. A hotel in this price range should have, at least, queen beds standard in all rooms. The beds were really soft, though. No refrigerator or microwave in the room. Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would return to the hotel for the excellent location.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sweetwood112
Missouri
Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed two nights while attending a conference. Our room was in the old Muehlebach tower. This part of the hotel is showing it's age. Some may find it to be a charming historical experience, I would have preferred more modern accomodations. Except for the heavy, hard-slamming doors, our floor would have been quiet. The bathroom was another thing. If the light was on, so was the vent fan. And, it was NOISY. It was enough to make you want to brush your teeth in the dark. Our commode sounded like an airplane's commode on steroids. It had tremendous suction and did the job in spades, but it left no one sleeping nearby.
The bedding was very comfortable, although I would have preferred a lighter blanket since the AC was struggling to cool the room. The TV was a fairly new flat screen and worked fine. No problems finding an open outlet for charging phones. I'm still unclear as to whether the wireless internet was free or not. Normally, if it is included with the room, I will use it. If the hotel charges for it, just forget it. Everyone on staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Their people are their best asset.
The meeting rooms were kept very cool, as usual. I've learned to dress for it, but I heard several saying that they were uncomfortably cold. The food provided during our meetings was excellent. I didn't visit the restaurant or pool, so I can't comment.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
St Louis, missouri
Reviewed 19 July 2011

The rooms are large with a sofa, chair, working desk with a chair. The room was quiet and very clean. The staff were very friendly. The rooms were cleaned every day with a turn down service at night.

The only two issues were:
1. The air conditioning did work to a degree. However it could have been a lot cooler in the room. That being said it is a personal thing and it would be fine for someone else.

2. Our shower had hot water but it only dribbled out of the shower head. No water pressure at all. Our daughter stayed in another room and they had water pressure but no hot water.

TIP - We did not eat at the in house restaurant because it was priced way to high for us. There is a upscale grocery store within easy walking distance (4 blocks) that has a breakfast buffet, coffee station, and a bakery with pasteries. It has a very nice large eat in area after you purchase the food.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Delaware
Reviewed 12 July 2011

Had to travel to Kansas City, MO for SkillsUSA contest. The hotel was perfectly situated, just catty-corner to the event location. The front desk was courteous and quick to respond to my request to change my room over to feather-free and threw in some bottles of water at no charge. The gym was good, never too crowded to find a treadmill, and the pool looked like a nice rectangle for doing laps but, admittedly, I never had a chance to use it. The health club area was also constantly manned with a staff member. Room service was friendly and the food was good- also not a tremendous price difference from eating downstairs to eating in the room and the staff was quick to tell me that the tip was already included in the bill (with a smile no less)!! Also, security personnel were clearly present and seemed to do a good job of keeping the hotel fairly well devoid of trespassers. Criticism: internet service cost $10/day and, even though I don't usually eat candy, I really wanted a bit of after-dinner chocolate on one of the nights during my visit and there was none to be had in the entire hotel. No vending machines and no snacks for sale in the lobby either, i.e. no "market." However, there is a very upscale market store a few blocks away with deli food and baked goods, candy, groceries, etc. so plan ahead and get what you might need during the daylight hours. Overall, a very comfortable stay.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Iowa, USA
Reviewed 23 June 2011

I have stayed at this hotel numerous times for business and find it very average in every way. I usually find Marriotts nice and although this facility is not one of their best, it generally mets my needs.

Muhlebach Tower:
The place is very large and includes a large older portion (The Muhlenbach) that is attached to the main building by second floor covered skyway. If you are placed in the Muhlenbach tower you will find less to like. The bed and room appointments are nice, but the window in the room is small. The USA Today has never been delivered to my room in the Muhlenbach. There are very seldom copies in the Muhlenbach lobby (they are plentiful in the main hotel lobby). There is only occasionally a person at the Muhlenbach tower front desk. If you wish to speak to a live person you will have to trek over to the main hotel. If you park underground in the Marriott lot, you have a serpentine underground walk to the Muhlenbach.

Odds & Ends:
Parking is $13/day in the hotel lot. Not surprizing for a "downtown" or "convention" hotel
Internet is NOT free. It will set you back $10/day.
The exercise facility is good, but is often too crowded to use at convenient times
On the plus side the staff was nice and I am often able to check into my room well on the early side. I find the bed comfortable and the hotel is nicely near the Power & Light restaurant/entertainment area (I like the Ragland Road Irish Pub best).

Overall safe, clean, and average. But sometimes average is just fine. I think that is the case with the KC Marriott Downtown.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the Main hotel building