“An adequate business hotel”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #18 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This hotel appears to cater to many types of groups and conferences. it is a modern property very near the convention center. the rooms are large sized with a nice work area and couch. Bathroom is nothing special but clean and adequate. a nice breakfast buffet in the morning - not a million choices but reasonably good food for a buffet. All in all an adequate hotel for business in a good location.

• Stayed: November 2011

Reviewed 28 October 2011

My favorite thing about this hotel was the gym on the top floor. There were few guests using it when I was, sufficient cardio machines, and adequate weights. The view was good.

I didn't realize until I heard from other colleagues that there was another wing across the street. We stayed and had business meetings in a room in the main wing (the one with the front desk). Room was fine (nothing special but plenty comfortable) and the ballroom in which we had our meetings was cold but spacious and had good acoustics for our meeting. Not enough breakfast options for vegetarians but that was probably on our meeting planners and not the hotel.

Had a spacey staff member try to help me at the concierge desk but her spaciness seemed to benefit me as she mentioned some kind of nominal charge for holding a package there for us and then forgot to charge it.

Room Tip: Main wing (one with the reception desk) was more convenient as you didn't have to walk so far to...
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Cynthia S, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 October 2011

Dear rollie 3:
First, thank you for choosing the Kansas City Marriott Downtown on your recent stay in Kansas City. We appreciate your business and are lucky to receive the feedback you have taken the time to post. We recently completely renovated the health club and fitness facilities and am glad you enjoyed the view. We believe it is one of the best city views in Kansas City! Thank you for the feedback on our staff. They are trained to give the best possible service to every guest. We will work on training to ensure that this is the case in the future. Thank you for making us your home away from home in Kansas City!

Reviewed 26 October 2011

High quality cookie cutter hotel with a few nice touches in downtown Kansas City. Best for me was lap pool (not olympic size, but more than adequate) and gym open from 5:30am-10:30 pm on top floor in hotel. This made it possible for me to continue with my exercise routine without having to search out other facility. Nice black and white architectural photos on one wall, great views of city. Rooms clean, hotel quiet even though I was right by the elevators. On first night I arrived late and after a swim was able to order room service and get a simple meal that was not on menu--baked potato and salad without a big deal. Staff always responsive to requests. Would have preferred free printing in business center. I thought hotel was high priced in comparison to others, but I was willing to pay extra for convenience of the exercise facility. At almost $200/night--with a AAA discount, free wireless should have been included versus a ridiculous $10.95/day.

Room Tip: Ask for city view!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Cynthia S, Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2011

Dear Durham123:

Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel on Trip Advisor; I am glad that you enjoyed your visit. We just completed the renovation of our Health Club and Lap Pool and are very glad to hear that you enjoyed using the facility. We are very fortunate to be in the heart of Kansas City and the Power and Light District. I hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

I way staying at the hotel for a conference, all meetings in the main building. When told of my mobility limitations they said no problem, and put me in a room in the tower across the street. I needed a few amenities but the hotel has just closed their gift shop...if you need anything it is a four or six block hike up and downhill in the rain and snow...Saturday morning several of my friends were looking for a newspaper, the few they had were gone so the hotel said to hike four blocks uphill to CVS. They also closed the concierge lounge Friday evening and all of Saturday so no place to relax unless, yep go outside and hike somewhere. I have had better support at the no-name motel than here. I would have been better off a block away at the Sheraton and hiking here just for the meetings. Avoid if you can!

Room Tip: Avoid the tower across the street
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Cynthia S, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2011

Dear Californiac:

I am sorry that we disappointed you while you were our guest. I would greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments in greater detail, and can be reached by calling 816.855.4440.

Carol Pecoraro

Reviewed 14 October 2011

I just returned from a 5 day stay at this hotel while attending a meeting at the KC convention center.

For a hotel of this caliber and purpose, everything was done relatively well. The room was clean, the beds were exceedingly comfortable! I ate one night at the hotel restaurant after arriving late from the airport. The hummus was tasty with plenty of garlic and the service was reasonable. Internet access was $9.95 a day, which was a bit annoying and only covered a single device (if you wanted to use wireless with your laptop AND your iPad you paid double!). I did not use any of the other hotel services, but checkin and checkout were smooth with minimal wait.

The hotel location is superb for convention goers -- 2 blocks to the convention center and 4 blocks to the Power and Light District. The food and entertainment in the Power and Light District is OK. My favorite place was Cosentino's market which had a variety of interesting food choices including carry out and a great selection of wines!

Overall, this is a solid convention hotel with OK rates if your employer is paying and no red flags.....

• Stayed: October 2011

Dear LotsaTraveling:

First, thank you for your business we appreciate you choosing our hotel when traveling to Kansas City. Five days is a long time to be in a hotel and we are glad that our staff was accommodating and friendly during your trip. There must be some confusion about the internet charges. Although the billing system does not recognize that the devices are the same, our staff should have removed the extra charge from your bill at check -out. Please contact me directly and I will get this issue resolved for you immediately.

816.421.6800

Reviewed 4 October 2011

Please note that I write comments both positive and negative, I do not use this site as a complaint board! I recently stayed at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown, and was not impressed at all. First, on arrival at 1800 hrs (not a very busy check-in time), I was not greeted as I walked in nor was there anyone present at the Elite Member check-in location at the desk. I was then told that I could not get Concierge lounge access because I was only Silver level of rewards.
Then when I wanted to find somewhere to go for dinner, the concierge desk was not staffed and a front desk person came over (because there were several of us looking for information) and rudely stated,” I do not do this, I am on the desk”. So, I asked a bell-hop for directions and he did not speak much English, but did ask a colleague who was able to give me directions to the place I was looking for (Constentino’s).
The room did not have a refrigerator, nor were there any drinking glasses in the bathroom, so I only had two glasses in the whole room. The next morning I wanted to work-out prior to my shuttle to my workplace, and I was informed that it opened at 0530 (not 24hrs). I got on a cross-trainer (nicely there are many) but only 3 had access for headphones to listen the TV while exercising. There were 2 personnel at the entry desk, who did not offer to orient me, or anything. I had to go to them to ask about the headphone connection.
So, overall this hotel in my opinion did not hold up to the Marriott standards, I have changed my career and become a road-warrior and my coaches have taught me to pick one brand and stay with it as much as possible, I have been fairly pleased with Marriott, I have been at several Hilton’s and like Marriott better. But, recently I stayed at the LaQuinta Inn in Columbus IN and was more impressed and received more customer service than this Marriott.

Room Tip: pick another place
Reviewed 23 September 2011

The hotel is very clean and well maintained. The staff were all very friendly and helpful with directions and whatever else we needed. The concierge lounge was always well-stocked, clean, and enjoyable. The restaurant downstairs was totally acceptable as far as hotel restaurants go.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business

Dear Tom G;

Thank you very much for staying with us on your recent Kansas City trip. Our staff strives to make every guest experience a great one. Our location in Downtown Kansas City in the Power and Light District does offer every guest an array of dining and entertainment options. We hope to see you next time your travels bring you this way.