“Business Stay”

Kansas City Marriott Downtown
Ranked #17 of 111 Hotels in Kansas City
Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed at the Marriott on business for 4 nights. There was a valet service when we got to the hotel. The valet kid was rude and you could hardly understand him. Once we got past that everything else was good. The employees were very friendly. The room was nice and clean. The beds were comfortable and relaxing. I would recommend this place if I were ever to come back to KC.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,208)

Reviewed 17 November 2012

This was my first trip to Kansas City and we were booked into the KC Marriott. My room was in the Muehlbach Tower. This part of the hotel is across the skywalk from the new hotel. I must say my room was fantastic. Large, spacious room with king size bed, ample work space at the desk, large tv, comfy chair and ottoman. I didn't have the most picturesque view but I wasn't in the room all that long. The Muehlbach tower side was a beautiful old hotel with modern amenities. There was the original front desk with the numerous key boxes behind it. Beautiful wood work, marble; the architecture is remarkable. The meeting room were a nice and well equipped. The gym! The gym is on the top floor of the new building. It is better than some gyms I have paid to use. Ample cardio equipment and machines to assist with all kinds of exercise. The view is incrediblel from up there. I was very impressed with this hotel! The only thing I think it needed was some kind of power strip in the desk area. I ended up unplugging the lamp so I would have enough plugs to work.

Room Tip: I loved the old tower just because it is beautiful
Reviewed 13 November 2012

The hotel is in the heart of downtown, in walking distance of many good restaurants. The room was large and comfortable with a nice big window and a decent city view. Both sides of the hotel appear to have decent views, though I was on the fountain side which is a little prettier. Sadly, wi-fi is not included (this drives me mad in already-expensive hotels, it really should be included). Otherwise, the room amenities were just fine, the staff were very nice, and check-in check-out was quite speedy and pleasant.

One recommendation would be to ask for a room more distant from the elevators...on the Saturday night of my stay there was a wedding or other similar event and people kept coming into the hall and talking in loud voices at all hours of the night. I don't think this would have been as much of an issue a little further down the hall.

The hotel actually has two towers, connected by a second-floor bridge; however, in pleasant weather it is easy to just cross the street outdoors. My room was in one tower and most of our meeting rooms were in the other, but it was easy to get back and forth. It was also a great place for a meeting, good rooms, good AV, a variety of sizes of rooms for breakouts.

Room Tip: I think the fountain side had better views, but I think most rooms are pleasant. Avoid being near t...
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We simply wanted a great place for our wedding party to get ready and our family to stay after the celebration. We were greeted with inflexibility on getting rooms close together, surprise parking charges (we didn't even have cars parked), not free wi-fi (though it was advertised), poor television quality, and no complimentary breakfast (which you would assume for the cost).

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Wow, what a great hotel to base your KC visit. On board meeting. Location, location, location. Couple of blocks from the Power & Light eating/entertainment district and also a couple of blcks from some gr8 50's, 60's, 70's antiquesin Riverside area. Year round farmers market on Sat, Garage sale on Sunday.. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: My room was on north side, nice view towards Riverpark area.
Reviewed 10 November 2012

OK, it's a conference hotel. Lots of rooms and the bed was comfortable. Great location. Decent rates for a conference. Friendly staff, definitely a plus. Good restaurants no more than a 10-minute walk.

But if you don't need to stay here, there must be better choices. My room was in the tower across the street connected by a skyway, the Muhlenbach (sp?) tower. It's the first time I ever remember in a Marriott Hotel being under the desk hunting for an electrical outlet. My choice was to unplug the coffee maker or the lamp. I chose the latter. The room didn't have other outlets, at least that I could find.

Also, my second floor room looked out on air conditioning equipment in a courtyard that the sun had difficulty in finding.

Being rated 37/109 either is a gift or it means that the other hotels are even worse.

Reviewed 9 November 2012

I have never in my life requested a hotel room to be changed but after being kept awake all night by the elevator (my room was next to the shaft) I had to switch. I'm from NYC so I'm used to noise but honestly this was like trying to sleep next to an airport runway it was that loud. I'm now four rooms away and I can still hear it, but at least the walls aren't vibrating like they were in the old room.

Other than the elevator issue, the hotel seems fine.