“Disappointing stay” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 109 Hotels in Kansas City
Walnut Creek, California
“Disappointing stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2013

I stayed in the Marriott for large corporate meeting. My room was in the Muehlebach hotel tower which is across the street from the main tower connected by a skywalk.

Pros:
Check in was easy and friendly
Hotel employees were all trying to be friendly and accommodating. Everyone said "hello"
TV had a good picture and channel line up
In-room safe
The room was clean

Cons:
No microwave or refrigerator in the room
The coffee maker in the room made pretty bad coffee
The mattress really needed to be replaced and sagged at the edges
The internet connection worked fine until it didn't. Then I had to wait on hold for 20 mins for "technical support" which is clearly outsourced to someone over seas. It took them another 20 mins to resolve the problem which was only partially resolved but I had given up by then.
The food provided at the conference was disappointing, bland and insufficient.
The tower I stayed in is an old building. There were not enough outlets in the room and I had to crawl under the desk to plug my laptop in and charge my phones in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Muehlebach. Stay in the newer tower.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
Iowa City, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2013

Full disclosure: I am a Marriott Platinum and stay about one night in 5 in a Marriott on average. This was a shocking let down. The hotel is poorly arranged, the Concierge Lounge is oddly positioned, restaurant was a disappointment and the Wireless internet was simply appalling: I had repeated shutouts, sudden changes in speed, bad quality reception of the signal and a thoroughly unacceptable experience. I would ask for my money back except it is free. I have stayed at this hotel in the past and had the same problem, back in the day when they used to dish out special dongles to improve reception. Now they don't bother but the service quality still needs it. If you HAVE to come to Kansas City, then find another place.

Room Tip: Find a room with good quality WiFI reception
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve D
Vermillion, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

I stayed here with a group of 15 women in our early-mid twenties for a bachelorette party. I booked separately through a third party and had terrible luck--when I arrived to the hotel to check in I told the woman at the front desk about my difficulties (none of which had to do with Mariott) and she set everything straight! She had me in the correct type of room (double rather than single king) and on the same floor as the rest of the party (rather than being in a completely separate "tower")! I was so impressed with her kindness and understanding!
All of the employees were friendly and welcoming, especially considering the high volume of guests (NCAA regionals and another large gathering).
The location was great for us. We were able to walk to and from our priority spots. The rooms were very clean.
One thing that was a pain was Internet and parking are both at an extra cost.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2013

Went to Kansas City with my wife and two kids for a couple of days (3/26 &3/27) and wanted to stay downtown KC. The exterior and interior loby are very nice. Valet parking is available but since I'm cheap, I park on the streets. Free parking on the streets between 6PM & 7AM if you can find a meter spot. There are plenty of metered spots available but you have to grab them early in the evening. I usually get up early so I ended up feeding the meter for a couple of hours ($2) far less than Marriott Parking. The beds were very small (double) and would have appreciated queen beds. The room was clean though and great views of the city. Nice healthclub on the top floor with views of the city while you work out. The kids had fun in the pool but it could have been warmer. No Jacuzzi though which suprised me since they had plenty of room for one. We still had a nice stay though.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor, great views of KC.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
hotel1KansasCity, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thomas F: Thank you for your feedback about the staff and services at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We hope we have the opportunity of serving you again when you are in the area. There are so many attractions to take advantage of just blocks from the hotel. Thank you again - we appreciate your business.
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

Stayed here for the NCAA Regionals in March 2013. Obviously the hotel was very busy, but almost every department seemed to be running well.

The good: great location, close to the Sprint Center and Power and Light District, with plenty of bars and restaurants. The room was also a cookie cutter Marriot, as one would expect. And the staff were very friendly, as was everyone in the KC area.

A few minor bads: they missed my wake up call, and the valet parking guy was overwhelmed at times with the volume.

Other than that, this is a great choice, and I'd stay again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear Dorkus: Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and the area. There is much to do just blocks from the hotel! I am very sorry we missed your wake up call. We will certainly investigate why that happended. We hope to see you again - thank you for your business.
Cary, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2013

First, the good: the hotel is in a great location if your needs are anywhere in downtown. You can walk to the Sprint Center, Municipal Auditorium, or Power and Light. The hotel employees were more or less pleasant; I wouldn't call them friendly, but they weren't unfriendly, either.

However, they were completely overwhelmed this past weekend by a confluence of the NCAA basketball tournament and some sort of kids' cheerleading/talent competition. I understand that it was an unusually high-volume weekend, but on the other hand, I assume this is not the first high-volume weekend they've ever had. It took--this is no exaggeration--45 minutes to get into the hotel driveway on Friday afternoon because the valets had allowed people to park in the hotel parking deck who weren't hotel guests. This led to--surprise!--there being no room for the existing hotel guests who were paying $19/night for the privilege of parking in that deck.

The next day, with a full 24 hours to figure out how to avoid it happening again, the same thing happened. The first time, I suppose it could possibly be excused. But the second time, it just shows a clear lack of care and direction from management about how to solve guest issues.

The valets provided two options to solve this problem: either sit in your car on the street and wait for a spot to open, or go pay to park somewhere else. Neither was a satisfactory solution considering they were the ones who were causing the problem.

Service in the restaurant was similarly crowded and overwhelmed. Management was dismissive of the problem and indicated there was nothing they could do about it.

I would try another downtown option (there are several with equally prime locations) before I returned to this property.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank JodyDavis
hotel1KansasCity, General Manager at Kansas City Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, 28 March 2013
Dear JodyDavis: We are sorry to read that you did not enjoy your experience at the Kansas City Marriott Downtown. We strive to give every guest excellent service and apologize that we did not deliver. Please feel free to contact me directly so we can learn more about your visit and make any necessary improvements. We do appreciate your business.
Lansing, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

Our stay at the Marriott (Muehlebach Hotel) Hotel in downtown Kansas City was a wonderful surprise. We were there for the weekend for the annual Sweet Adeline’s regional competition at the hotel. In past years, we were at an Overland Park hotel for the competition and had many problems with the rooms, the service, and the hotel management. This was the first year for the competition at the Marriot and we look for many more years for the regional competition to be held at this hotel. The service staff was absolutely wonderful. Every one of them made a special point of greeting and making us feel welcome. The hotel stay was not a distraction from the competition like it had been in the past. The Marriott allowed us to enjoy the weekend without having to worry about any problems with the hotel. For anyone needing to stay in downtown Kansas City, we can highly recommend the Marriott (and Muehlebach) as your base of operations. The only negative all weekend was that the bar was not adequately staffed on Friday for lunch and the lone bartender was just overwhelmed by the number of people that were there for the competition and the basketball tournament. As the premier hotel in downtown, this hotel gets lots of use and parts of the hotel showed the abuse that a high volume hotel can get. Hopefully, they are continuing to repair these blemishes as soon as they are discovered.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Dear David F - thank you for your great feedback about our hotel. We so enjoyed hosting the Sweet Adeline's! I had a chance to listen in on the competition - just superb. We look forward to seeing you again next year. Thank you again. We truly appreciate your business.